GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Senators @ Oilers - Oct 14, 2017, 10:00PM

+2
Flo The Action
wprager
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:As good as most of our forwards have been, Turris has taken it to another level.
Which makes that turris trade talk more ridiculous. I understand that it’s best not to commit too much term to any player (not named Karlsson) but here’s a guy just getting better that can likely be you number 2 center down the road long term. I hope it gets done 6x6

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:As good as most of our forwards have been, Turris has taken it to another level.
Which makes that turris trade talk more ridiculous. I understand that it’s best not to commit too much term to any player (not named Karlsson) but here’s a guy just getting better that can likely be you number 2 center down the road long term. I hope it gets done 6x6

I think if 6 x 6 was an option it would have been done a long time ago. That's the catch

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:

He's not getting better. He has to have his best year ever in a contract year. But he's not going to get any better in reality

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

He's not getting better. He has to have his best year ever in a contract year. But he's not going to get any better in reality
I disagree, turris has steadily gotten better every year. Not justbin the scoring stats department but how he plays the game

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I think if 6 x 6 was an option it would have been done a long time ago.  That's the catch

You think? There is time, maybe the org is looking to get 4 and Turris camp wants 7,8. Apperently they are fine with the money and it’s just term. But again maybe they don’t. Maybe $ has to go down to get term.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Terrific game by our Senators. Crazy old Borocop fighting the beast that is Lucic took a huge set of balls. Edmonton crumpled, Ottawa took the game over. Nice to see Chabot looking at home on the PP, but I think he should still go down to the AHL for a while once Karlsson's back. It was also great to see Condon look so good.

As for Turris, as Flo said, the rumour is that the Sens are/were hesitant to go LONG term with Turris and maybe Turris took a bit of offense to that. It's all negotiating tactics at this point. The Sens might see White/Brown/whoever as a potential Turris replacement and now are in the awkward spot of trying to figure out how they'll get through the next two or three years until these guys are potentially ready for 1LC duties. Maybe they'd get more for Turris in a trade now than they would once they have him signed long-term. Also, they may not want to give him the old Hossa treatment (not as dramatic though) and sign him long term and then find a way to deal him a year or two into his deal.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I think if 6 x 6 was an option it would have been done a long time ago.  That's the catch

You think? There is time, maybe the org is looking to get 4 and Turris camp wants 7,8. Apperently they are fine with the money and it’s just term. But again maybe they don’t. Maybe $ has to go down to get term.

Guaranteed they want a 6 x 6 and he wants a 6 x 8 years. If they can settle on a dollar amount, they could get this done. Will they go to 40 million? Are they stuck at 35 and won't move? I think they might cave and give him 40 for 7 years, then I think that would work.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

White will never be a true #1. Brown, because of his size, may get there, eventually. But it will be a few years before he can be a 1B to Turris' 1A.

Front load a 7 year deal so that he can retire after 6. He'll spend the first 3 as the #1, the gradually slide to #1A/B and eventually 2/3LC over the next 3. White may be playing wing by then.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Terrific game by our Senators.  Crazy old Borocop fighting the beast that is Lucic took a huge set of balls.  Edmonton crumpled, Ottawa took the game over.  Nice to see Chabot looking at home on the PP, but I think he should still go down to the AHL for a while once Karlsson's back.  It was also great to see Condon look so good.

As for Turris, as Flo said, the rumour is that the Sens are/were hesitant to go LONG term with Turris and maybe Turris took a bit of offense to that.  It's all negotiating tactics at this point.  The Sens might see White/Brown/whoever as a potential Turris replacement and now are in the awkward spot of trying to figure out how they'll get through the next two or three years until these guys are potentially ready for 1LC duties.  Maybe they'd get more for Turris in a trade now than they would once they have him signed long-term.  Also, they may not want to give him the old Hossa treatment (not as dramatic though) and sign him long term and then find a way to deal him a year or two into his deal.  

The issue I have is that we don’t have anyone to really take his place IMO. Ok so maybe brassard and Pageau could but I’d rather have Pageau stay the third line C. And I doubt we’d get what we would want from an approaching UFA on the trade market. Especially that any club would know they’d have to fork over a 7 or 8 year long deal to keep him.
Maybe a trade with agreement could be reached.

But all and all I feel I’d rather keep him and get a 6x6 deal done. That’s still going to be an easy contract to trade if we ever get to that point.
Somewhere in the future. It would be stupid at any rate to have Turris walk away at the end of the year but the longer this drags out the more it will force a trade to happen. If this gets past trade deadline then Turris holds all the cards in getting either a deal done or to walk away.
I can’t believe we still don’t have a deal. For diddles sakes 6x6 everyone!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Chabot may be sticking up here for the test of the season. Even if he plays sheltered minutes as on the PP be could learn a lot more from Phaneuf, Oduya and Karlsson than he would from Sterling. Playing big minutes is important, but you also learn playing fewer minutes but against better opposition.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:White will never be a true #1. Brown, because of his size, may get there, eventually. But it will be a few years before he can be a 1B to Turris' 1A.

Front load a 7 year deal so that he can retire after 6.  He'll spend the first 3 as the #1, the gradually slide to #1A/B and eventually 2/3LC over the next 3.  White may be playing wing by then.  

Melnyk hasn’t proven to be a fan of front loaded contracts if we judge by most contracts awarded, he sure likes to trade for them though. I see no reason why Turris would want to retire unless he’s injured. If he still feels like playing he’ll likely keep going. He’s not terribly old. I agree with all the rest that you said.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Turris is 28. A 7 year extension would mean he is 35 when that 7th year starts. For a not-too-big player who plays first line minutes that's not young. Who knows.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Turris is 28.  A 7 year extension would mean he is 35 when that 7th year starts.  For a not-too-big player who plays first line minutes that's not young. Who knows.

Yeah but no one is saying he’s still going to be a first line player. Why wouldn’t he play a couple more years in the league? Could be a very good third liner after a 6 year. No one is saying that we should sign him for 7 but six I fine. And he could get another contract after that. Obviously at a cheaper price tag

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Terrific game by our Senators.  Crazy old Borocop fighting the beast that is Lucic took a huge set of balls.  Edmonton crumpled, Ottawa took the game over.  Nice to see Chabot looking at home on the PP, but I think he should still go down to the AHL for a while once Karlsson's back.  It was also great to see Condon look so good.

As for Turris, as Flo said, the rumour is that the Sens are/were hesitant to go LONG term with Turris and maybe Turris took a bit of offense to that.  It's all negotiating tactics at this point.  The Sens might see White/Brown/whoever as a potential Turris replacement and now are in the awkward spot of trying to figure out how they'll get through the next two or three years until these guys are potentially ready for 1LC duties.  Maybe they'd get more for Turris in a trade now than they would once they have him signed long-term.  Also, they may not want to give him the old Hossa treatment (not as dramatic though) and sign him long term and then find a way to deal him a year or two into his deal.  

The issue I have is that we don’t have anyone to really take his place IMO. Ok so maybe brassard and Pageau could but I’d rather have Pageau stay the third line C. And I doubt we’d get what we would want from an approaching UFA on the trade market. Especially that any club would know they’d have to fork over a 7 or 8 year long deal to keep him.

But all and all I feel I’d rather keep him and get a 6x6 deal done. That’s still going to be an easy contract to trade if we ever get to that point.
Somewhere in the future. It would be stupid at any rate to have Turris walk away at the end of the year but the longer this drags out the more it will force a trade to happen. If this gets past trade deadline then Turris holds all the cards in getting either a deal done or to walk away.

Trust me, as a Turris jersey-owner, I need him to stay. I would give him $6.5M x 8 yrs, but that's me...I'm a huge fan.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Trust me, as a Turris jersey-owner, I need him to stay.  I would give him $6.5M x 8 yrs, but that's me...I'm a huge fan.  

Yeah I’m quite a fan myself, let’s hope it doesn’t get to that though. Karlsson is going to cost us an arm and a leg as it is.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Haven't had to do this for a while, but it's time to look at our cap situation

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum