GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 56 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 46 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Rosters announced for the Sens alumni game (taken from https://www.tsn.ca/yashin-returns-as-a-sen-in-outdoor-alumni-game-1.938484 ):

Forwards: Daniel Alfredsson (1995-2013), Magnus Arvedson (1997-2003), Radek Bonk (1994-2004), Laurie Boschman (1992-93), Randy Cunneyworth (1994-98), Alexandre Daigle (1993-98), Shean Donovan (2007-10), Mike Fisher (1999-2011), Denis Hamel (2003-07), Martin Havlat (2000-06), Denny Lambert (1996-98), Rob Murphy (1992-93), Randy Robitaille (2007-08), Bryan Smolinski (2002-06), Brad Smyth (2002-03), Shaun Van Allen (1996-2000 / 2002-04), Todd White (2000-04), Alexei Yashin (1993-2001), Rob Zamuner (1999-2001).

Defencemen: Brendan Bell (2008-09), Filip Kuba (2008-2012), Jim Kyte (1992-93), Janne Laukkanen (1995-2000), Curtis Leschyshyn (2000-04), Norm Maciver (1992-95), Chris Phillips (1997-2015), Lance Pitlick (1994-99), Wade Redden (1996-2008), Dennis Vial (1993-98), Jason York (1996-2001).

Goaltenders: Patrick Lalime (1999-2004), Pascal Leclaire (2009-11), Damian Rhodes (1995-99), Ron Tugnutt (1996-2000).

I just saw that. That’s actually an exciting roster. Are they televising that game? I’d really like to see some of these guys on the ice again.

I doubt that it will be televised, but it is free to attend.  
Free? In Melnyk world? Hard to imagine. Anyhoot, I won’t be in Ottawa till the 23rd.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators-ask-no-trade-lists/sn-amp/

Apparently they have *10* with NTCs and are planning to ask for a no-trade list from each. Melnyk was displeased when Karlsson publicly stated he won't give a hometown discount.

I kinda agree with that. It's one thing to make a negotiation stand but quite another to be so public about it. Nothing wrong with what he said, and I expected him to say it, just not into a microphone.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Well, there you go. Kypreos says he would absolutely move Karlsson. A "no brainer" - and he should know.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

It's a good thing we have the best fourth lime center in the league

Seriously though at what point to does playing Hoffman with dumont make any sense? I think bouchers time has come and gone . Fire the coach or blow it up

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd look at trying to move Phaneuf, Ryan, Brassard, Ceci, Anderson, Burrows (haha), Smith. I'd keep Thompson, Pyatt, Pageau, Duchene, Karlsson, Chabot, White, Brown, most prospects, Hoffman, Dzingel, Stone.

Let's get out the old Dung and start fresh. NO excuse for what's happening this year. None.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:It's a good thing we have the best fourth lime center in the league

Seriously though at what point to does playing Hoffman with dumont make any sense? I think bouchers time has come and gone . Fire the coach or blow it up

You don't fire Boucher without Dorion going too. Both could go - soon. That's realistic, not a fan ranting.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

What's going to get Dorion fired is his inability to gauge player value

Boucher needs to let his ego go and abandon the system

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'll never forget Dorion's interview after the Sens acquired Burrows. Never in my life have I heard a GM so defensive about a player just acquired in a trade. The trade itself wasn't what people were questioning - it was the multi-year extension that came with it. Meanwhile Dahlen is tearing up the SEL and Tommy Wingels is outperforming Burrows. Dorion then inked his 'depth' players to multi-year contract extensions, decided to keep Ceci over Methot knowing full well he needs to re-sign Karlsson, and didn't address the departure of MacArthur and Methot. Now you're trusting him to make trades with the assets we have to 'reset' the roster. Ottawa has asked their 10 (!) players with NMC/NTC clauses to submit their lists. Remaining years after this season and AAV:

1) Ryan - 4 years at $7.25M AAV
2) Hoffman - 2 years $5.1875M
3) Brassard - 1 year at $5M AAV
4) Smith - 3 years at $3.25M AAV
5) Burrows - 1 year at $2.5M AAV
6) Thompson - 1 year at $1.65M AAV
7) Phaneuf - 3 years at $7M AAV
8) Karlsson - 1 year at $6.5M AAV
9) Oduya - UFA
10) MacArthur - 2 years at $4.65M AAV

RFA: Ceci (likely 2 year x $4M AAV), Stone (likely 3 year x $6.5M AAV)

- MacArthur, Burrows, Ryan and Phaneuf contract are virtually untradeable
- Oduya and Thompson may net a 5-7th rd pick each
- Smith will net you a player of equal value ($3M AAV)
- Hoffman and Brassard a 1st-2nd rd pick + mid-end prospect
- Karlsson a year removed from being a UFA, playing the worst hockey of his career, and will be seeking max contract. Wherever Karlsson gets traded to will need the cap space and desire to want to re-sign him.

It will not be easy to 'rebuild' this team

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Thompson is worth way more than that. First, you don't trade him and second he's worth a 3rd or 2nd.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sens don’t need to rebuild. To me this talk is ridiculous

As far as Dahlen goes. He does not play in the top level of Sweden. He’s playing in a league below AHL quality

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I dunno. ..something is really wrong.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I can’t see going for a rebuild. If anything they will make a hockey trade. This team is committed.

What the Diddle is Kyprios going on about. I’m sure he thinks we should also trade him to the leafs for Bozak and a pick. Seriously, that guy is a buffoon.

I still trust Dorion as I think there’s plenty of ownership decision in this. And the budget. It was blatantly obvious our D was an area of weakness and youth untested. He took a gamble on it hoping youth would continue on its good path and Melnyk was probably all too happy to be rid of methot’s cap.
Submitting everyone’s list could also be a motivator. I expect a move but I doubt it will be one of our players for picks.

If he trades Hoffman I’ll be pissed. If we lose duchene and kalrsson because they won’t resign I’ll be pissed. I think we identified who we thing could be gone and who we are ok with. I think this org (ownership and GM’s) are walking a very tight rope with fans. Including myself.

I’m to the point where I can’t wait to get this new ownership onboard.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I must admit. I am very frustrated. The effort level, or apparent lack of it, makes it look like the players have tuned Boucher out. That's a lot sooner than it should have taken, given their success last season.

The other possibility is the chemistry has changed due to a couple significant events. First, losing Methot because Phaneuf didn't waive his NTC (I know that's an oversimplified way to look at it), and then the Turris trade. Could we have kept Turris and brought in Duchene if they moved Ceci? Maybe that's what they players think, and Ceci's game hasn't helped, either.

Something really stinks.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I must admit. I am very frustrated. The effort level, or apparent lack of it, makes it look like the players have tuned Boucher out. That's a lot sooner than it should have taken, given their success last season.

The other possibility is the chemistry has changed due to a couple significant events. First, losing Methot because Phaneuf didn't waive his NTC (I know that's an oversimplified way to look at it), and then the Turris trade. Could we have kept Turris and brought in Duchene if they moved Ceci? Maybe that's what they players think, and Ceci's game hasn't helped, either.

Something really stinks.

It’s hard to really know. I’m not sure just replacing Ceci in that package for Turris would have done it.
Even though that would have been preferable.

It seems improbable that Boucher would have lost the room so fast. Kalrsson hasn’t been possible to lead by example in the way he did last year in adopting the system.
As far as the team has been I think this is just a case of not having the necessary personnel. The D is young and unprepared. The players are trying to overcompensate at times and it’s leading to so many turnovers... so many. And goaltending... well, Anderson is having one of his classic bad years. And Condon is just Condon.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Talking about a Karlsson trade isn't ridiculous. They need to discuss that given the way he's played.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting read.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/OttawaSenators/comments/7ith31/long_what_its_like_working_for_the_sens_a/?__twitter_impression=true

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Talking about a Karlsson trade isn't ridiculous. They need to discuss that given the way he's played.

If you trade kalrsson and he declines as a player then you likely look like a you knew something, but still, he could have helped you win. If you trade him and he becomes his old self again you likely never get another GM job.
If you keep him and he declines, it becomes the price of keeping important franchise players and any other GM’s would have done the same. If you keep him and he recovers you look like a genius.

The worst outcome of all these scenarios for the GM is trading him.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:Talking about a Karlsson trade isn't ridiculous. They need to discuss that given the way he's played.

If you trade kalrsson and he declines as a player then you likely look like a you knew something, but still, he could have helped you win. If you trade him and he becomes his old self again you likely never get another GM job.
If you keep him and he declines, it becomes the price of keeping important franchise players and any other GM’s would have done the same. If you keep him and he recovers you look like a genius.

The worst outcome of all these scenarios for the GM is trading him.

Again you have to talk about it. I'm not saying trade him. But to dismiss it is foolish.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 46 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 56 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum