GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits.

+3
PTFlea
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. - Page 3 Empty Re: Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:35 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:All good points except that the Habs have a much larger fan base to draw from and have a rich history.  The Sens have barely been around by comparison.  You're also dealing with a vastly different market when it comes to Ottawa and the fact that selling season seats to corporations isn't as easily done as other markets due to the fact that the majority of business is either government or corporations that have most of their dealings tied to government.  

True. But this just means it's a challenge. Dallas fans shout "Stars" when they sing Start Spangled Banner; they even do that when visiting other rinks. Don't know how it started but we have nothing like that (United in Red?) Stars scoreboard operator trolls other teams. The only thing I can think of is the ill-fated clip of Spartacus making Habs players walk the plank a short time after Gainey's daughter was lost at sea. Can't believe I'm saying it but I actually kinda miss Cotton Eye Joe -- that's how bad it is now.

What will it take for Sens fans (the vast majority) to be loud and proud? I don't know, but it's not my job. Maybe "plant" some professional supporters/cheerleaders? Identify best fans in each section and give them some kind of prize. Dab cam? Really?

32Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. - Page 3 Empty Re: Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:35 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:First of all, none of us are in a position to evaluate any of these guys. Are you guys serious? I've said it before and I'll say it again, you must be a real treat to work with, prags.

I've worked as a s/w manager for a number of years, and I've taken a few courses on goal-setting and evaluating performance.  I've written my share of annual performance reviews.  That snippet they had from Leeder's evaluation of O'Leary was quite weak from *my* vantage point, and for an executive role I would have expected even more.  Objectives for an executive-level position cannot be to "prioritize the big rocks", "deliver high volume of output"  or to work late.  It should be more like "Grow STH base to X", "Improve in-game entertainment  evaluation scores Y%", "Identify customers' three biggest concerns and develop plan to address them".

From those kinds of objectives the performance evaluation would have been something like "STH base decreased 10% YoY versus objective to grow by 10%".  Other than the Prime Minster Races do we have anything  you find interesting, funny or exciting before/after games and during intermissions?  Are you still bothered by drunk, loud Leafs fans shouting "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" or Hbas fans chanting "Ole"?  Has anything been done about any of this?  The Centurion from the SCF was not his fault but the stench still remains because, frankly, nothing *NOTHING* has been done to allow us to forget it.

This is a great example of you not getting it.

33Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. - Page 3 Empty Re: Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:All good points except that the Habs have a much larger fan base to draw from and have a rich history.  The Sens have barely been around by comparison.  You're also dealing with a vastly different market when it comes to Ottawa and the fact that selling season seats to corporations isn't as easily done as other markets due to the fact that the majority of business is either government or corporations that have most of their dealings tied to government.  
Go back to the late 90's and see that he habs weren't selling out games and the franchise wasn't so healthy. But you're right, they have more fans. I'm not saying we can pull the same results that the habs but we can definitely do better, it's been very average over in Ottawa.

34Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. - Page 3 Empty Re: Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

True.  But this just means it's a challenge.  Dallas fans shout "Stars" when they sing Start Spangled Banner; they even do that when visiting other rinks.  Don't know how it started but we have nothing like that (United in Red?)  Stars scoreboard operator trolls other teams.  The only thing I can think of is the ill-fated clip of Spartacus making Habs players walk the plank a short time after Gainey's daughter was lost at sea.  Can't believe I'm saying it but I actually kinda miss Cotton Eye Joe -- that's how bad it is now.

What will it take for Sens fans (the vast majority) to be loud and proud?  I don't know, but it's not my job.  Maybe "plant" some professional supporters/cheerleaders?  Identify best fans in each section and give them some kind of prize.  Dab cam?  Really?  

They actually have crowd cheerleaders at habs games. They get people going. I'm sure most fans that watch on TV don't realize that.

35Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. - Page 3 Empty Re: Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:54 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
Go back to the late 90's and see that he habs weren't selling out games and the franchise wasn't so healthy. But you're right, they have more fans. I'm not saying we can pull the same results that the habs but we can definitely do better, it's been very average over in Ottawa.

I still remember when Molson's wanted to sell the Habs. At the time there was a real possibility discussed of the team relocating under different ownership. Eventually they sold to Gillette, then a few years back the bought it back. Over the last 20 years they've had three owners (Molson's, Gillette, Molson's again). Not exactly as stable as you thought, eh?

Not saying they ever had to borrow money from the league to make payday, or ask their top player to defer his bonuses, but 20-odd years ago Molson's was *losing* money so much that they had to sell.

36Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. - Page 3 Empty Re: Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
spader wrote:First of all, none of us are in a position to evaluate any of these guys. Are you guys serious? I've said it before and I'll say it again, you must be a real treat to work with, prags.

I've worked as a s/w manager for a number of years, and I've taken a few courses on goal-setting and evaluating performance.  I've written my share of annual performance reviews.  That snippet they had from Leeder's evaluation of O'Leary was quite weak from *my* vantage point, and for an executive role I would have expected even more.  Objectives for an executive-level position cannot be to "prioritize the big rocks", "deliver high volume of output"  or to work late.  It should be more like "Grow STH base to X", "Improve in-game entertainment  evaluation scores Y%", "Identify customers' three biggest concerns and develop plan to address them".

From those kinds of objectives the performance evaluation would have been something like "STH base decreased 10% YoY versus objective to grow by 10%".  Other than the Prime Minster Races do we have anything  you find interesting, funny or exciting before/after games and during intermissions?  Are you still bothered by drunk, loud Leafs fans shouting "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" or Hbas fans chanting "Ole"?  Has anything been done about any of this?  The Centurion from the SCF was not his fault but the stench still remains because, frankly, nothing *NOTHING* has been done to allow us to forget it.

....aaand you're back to being unforgiven.

Elaborate or full-on explain.

37Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. - Page 3 Empty Re: Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I've got some training in and experience with setting goals/objectives and evaluating performance. Am I an expert? No, but I've held supervisory roles off and on (mostly on) since 2000 and *in my opinion* that paragraph from from Leeder's performance review of O'Leary is weak.

38Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. - Page 3 Empty Re: Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:39 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

....aaand you're back to being unforgiven.

Elaborate or full-on explain.

What's the point? If you think you're in a position to evaluate the executive branch of the hockey team, more power to you.  Clapping

39Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. - Page 3 Empty Re: Meddling Melnyk faces lawsuits. Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm only evaluating the performance review to counter the argument that said "But he had a glowing performance review".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum