GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT - Game #58: Sens @ Devils, Feb 21, 2017, 7:00pm

+4
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah we needed this win. The rags won't be a walk in the park.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Price wins in the SO, Leafs win in OT, pushing Florida into a wildcard spot and Boston put off the playoffs.

Islanders win again, now tied with Boston and Florida. Panthers hold game in hand. Boston up on ROWs.

Crazy close.
Are you in the right thread? Sarcasm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:Yeah we needed this win. The rags won't be a walk in the park.

Canes?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Man, that was a tight game. Matrix played great. Turris had the most ice time of any Senator, which isn't crazy given the guys we were missing. Lazar didn't look as terrible as usual. Any points we can bank with the current list of injured guys are great.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:Price wins in the SO, Leafs win in OT, pushing Florida into a wildcard spot and Boston put off the playoffs.

Islanders win again, now tied with Boston and Florida. Panthers hold game in hand. Boston up on ROWs.

Crazy close.
Are you in the right thread? Sarcasm

Discussing the implications of last night's action in last night's game thread. Sounds like you're just trying to pick a fight. IT'S GO TIME!!!!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Yeah we needed this win. The rags won't be a walk in the park.

Canes?

Canes on Friday. Carolina has lost 5 in a row (one OT loss in that stretch). Outscored 19-4 during that stretch. IOW they've been worse than the Devils.

Florida on Sunday. The Panthers have been on fire, sweeping a five game road trip for the first time in franchise history. The Sens game will be their third on the ensuing homestand, so no luck with the trap-game-first-home-game-after-long-road-trip this time around. Last time these two met the Cats won 6-5 despite a Double-Dzingel performance (a Dzouble?) Anderson is money against his old team, they won't get 6 past him. Stone and Hoffman could be back.

Tampa on Monday. Stamkos has started light skating; but don't worry, he's still on a 4-6 month trajectory according to Yzerman (he's a week past three months since the surgery). Since their bye week the Lightning went to OT against Dallas and Colorado (splitting the decisions), then defeated the Oilers 4-1. They blew a 2-goal lead to lose to Dallas, scored 3 to beat Colorado and 4 goals against the Oilers. If they put five in against Calgary tonight I'll be a little worried for Condon (who will likely start). His last start against Tampa was on Groundhog Day when he faced just 21 shots in a 5-2 win.

Odds of the Canes losing 6 in a row are probably about as low as the odds of Anderson losing in Florida. So we should get 2 point out of those two games. By Monday I'm hoping both Stone and Hoffman are back so we could finish the road trip on a high.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The passes between Phaneuf and Karlsson that led to Karlsson's goal were amazing. Back and forth until the Devil's guy had committed and Karlsson had snuck behind him. Watching him try to turn around and catch Karlsson was amusing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Watching Karlsson on a couple of those rushes reminded me of Forrest Gump running right past other people running at full speed (either at the football game or in Vietnam); pretty sure they used some kind of camera angle trickery to accomplish those shots.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:The passes between Phaneuf and Karlsson that led to Karlsson's goal were amazing.  Back and forth until the Devil's guy had committed and Karlsson had snuck behind him.  Watching him try to turn around and catch Karlsson was amusing.

Man, yeah, it was a thing of beauty to watch. Has anyone benefitted more from Boucher than Phaneuf? Seems to be a good match. Neon Dion's been pretty great lately.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:The passes between Phaneuf and Karlsson that led to Karlsson's goal were amazing.  Back and forth until the Devil's guy had committed and Karlsson had snuck behind him.  Watching him try to turn around and catch Karlsson was amusing.

Man, yeah, it was a thing of beauty to watch.  Has anyone benefitted more from Boucher than Phaneuf?  Seems to be a good match.  Neon Dion's been pretty great lately.

I think getting away from that toxic Dung hole was a great start for Neon.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think expecting Dion to be "the guy", "the number 1 D-man", was a bit too much in any case. He's well suited to the spot he's playing. Overpaid but so far we have guys that are underpaid. Hopefully the cap goes up a bit in a few years.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:I think expecting Dion to be "the guy", "the number 1 D-man", was a bit too much in any case. He's well suited to the spot he's playing. Overpaid but so far we have guys that are underpaid. Hopefully the cap goes up a bit in a few years.

Overpaid? Why, if he was a UFA what do you think teams would pay for him?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I think expecting Dion to be "the guy", "the number 1 D-man", was a bit too much in any case. He's well suited to the spot he's playing. Overpaid but so far we have guys that are underpaid. Hopefully the cap goes up a bit in a few years.

Overpaid?  Why, if he was a UFA what do you think teams would pay for him?

If Dion was currently a UFA, he wouldn't be getting $7M, but he'd still get a hefty sum. I think he's being overpaid by $1.5M to $2M per year, and that hurts a little bit, but it's not like that's ruining Ottawa's budget or cap position.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neon would probably go for 6, I agree.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

If Dion was currently a UFA, he wouldn't be getting $7M, but he'd still get a hefty sum.  I think he's being overpaid by $1.5M to $2M per year, and that hurts a little bit, but it's not like that's ruining Ottawa's budget or cap position.

You know what doesn't hurt? The 26 points he has so far.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You know what does hurt? That cross-check he laid right across Hall's ribs. I always used to hate how he got away with that when playing for the Leafs. I've come to terms with that now and am actually enjoying it.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

If Dion was currently a UFA, he wouldn't be getting $7M, but he'd still get a hefty sum.  I think he's being overpaid by $1.5M to $2M per year, and that hurts a little bit, but it's not like that's ruining Ottawa's budget or cap position.
Yeah that's about right. Probably get between 5 and 5.5 on a multi year deal.

As much as there was a lot of negative criticism against Dion when he was acquired regarding whether he would be a good player for us down the stretch, I don't see why he couldn't be an effective top 4 Dman till the last year of his deal. If we're lucky chabot will be the go to guy on that pairing in a few years and Dion will shut down the rear.
There's a case to be made for chabot winding up on the first pairing but I'd like to spread out the talent.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

You know what doesn't hurt? The 26 points he has so far.

Darn tootin'. It's funny now listening to Leaf fans whine about needing a solid defenceman, when they traded they traded away the one they had. Now, I still think it was smart of the Leafs to deal Phaneuf, but we got a perfectly good middle pairing d-man for almost nothing, other than an extra $1.5M or whatever per year....not too shabby at all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum