GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT - Game #44: Sens @ Leafs, Jan 21, 2017, 7:00pm

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I had to leave the house halfway through the 3rd and was very happy that we managed to pull through. I was really wondering though what was the logic with using pyatt. Glad there's an explanation. Maybe we should be using him for that reason more often. Some players can have certain niche utilization. Wouldn't be bad having a guy that's clutch in the shootout. Could possibly mean an extra few points a year. I'll be interested in seeing results on the next shootout we face.

And yeah, hard not to get excited about Ryan. Lets just take that excitement one da at a time

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Boucher said in the post game presser that the goalie coach has been yelling him for a while that Pyatt is the best. Then he said something to the effect that he (Boucher) isn't very smart, because he could have used him sooner.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ok,  time to watch a little bit of the game. Hopefully the recording got as far as the start of the shootout.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Crap, recording ended before OT was over. Missed Ryan's shootout goal.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Didn't show it in the highlights, either. But they showed Matthews' stretch pass that ended in a shot going wide.

But the highlights of the Habs-Sabres game had two fantastic saves. First Price earned them a point with 6 seconds to go, a game save for sure. Then Lehner in OT with an even bigger save. OMG variety.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's the Lehner save:
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=nNrb6u2ldKE

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Ok,  time to watch a little bit of the game. Hopefully the recording got as far as the start of the shootout.

Hehehe, I'm doing the same this morning as I was out last night. Just got to Condon's huge glove save shortly after he gave up the moldy 2nd goal that squared through. That was an awesome, huge glove save (that the CBC announcers made very little out of, the diddles). Saved the game for us. 

I love Boucher's comment about not being very smart because he could've used Pyatt in the shootout before.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ok, finally saw the Ryan goal. Also saw the Marner goal. Ref's explanation was that the puck didn't stop forward momentum? It stopped and went back before he shot it. First interpretation was that the short couldn't stop, but then they said, no, we meant the puck. The shooter can stop on a degree but the puck had to keep moving. But the pick definitely stopped.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The rule in the shootout is dumb, Marner's goal was fine and should be allowed. 

Condon saved that game for us and Pyatts's goal was siiiiick.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm OK with it being "fine" so long as the rule is properly described and applied. If you have the puck to your side and stick handling, of course it will change directions from forward motion to backward and if your hands are faster than your feet then the overall forward motion will stop. Which I think is fine since the overall player/puck combo is moving. It's just that the way it was worded they called off some shots early on because the player stopped, then they started calling those good so long as the puck didn't stop. The puck clearly stopped this time, there was a super-slo-mo angle which showed that conclusively. If they said "the puck may have stopped but the player was still moving forward" then I'd be OK with that, but the explanation from the ref was that the puck's forward motion was not interrupted, which is total BS.

The rule needs to be made much clearer. Or, better yet, get rid of shootouts.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum