GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit

+9
wprager
dennycrane
Flo The Action
NEELY
Oglethorpe
spader
PTFlea
Ev
SensHulk
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

31GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:23 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:Stone's AAV is $3.5M.
His pay this year is 2.25.  AAV means nothing unless he signs a3 year deal

Then we'll take up this discussion next year.

32GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:24 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
dennycrane wrote:He fully deserves more than 2. I think there is an understanding that for arbitration the player goes high and the team goes low although they have likely been negotiating a number somewhere in between. If Hoffman called up the Sens and said he would sign at 2.3, they would do it in a heartbeat. Look at Washington and Holtby (5.1 and 8.1). Both sides knew they wouldn't get that number but were preparing to try and establish a baseline with the arbitrator.

My guess is if it goes all the way, Hoffman gets 2.6.
I doubt the Sens are interested in paying him more tha Stone's 2.25M.

If he is awarded more than 3M look for him to be dealt.  

I think it's silly to assume he'll be traded if he crosses that $3M mark.  It's only a one-year contract.  I'm not saying he won't be traded, I just don't think he'll be traded because of the arbitration ruling.

Without silly assumptions we wouldn't have a message board. And SD wouldn't have that extra cash to buy a pack of gum.

33GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:45 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
dennycrane wrote:He fully deserves more than 2. I think there is an understanding that for arbitration the player goes high and the team goes low although they have likely been negotiating a number somewhere in between. If Hoffman called up the Sens and said he would sign at 2.3, they would do it in a heartbeat. Look at Washington and Holtby (5.1 and 8.1). Both sides knew they wouldn't get that number but were preparing to try and establish a baseline with the arbitrator.

I think it's silly to assume he'll be traded if he crosses that $3M mark.  It's only a one-year contract.  I'm not saying he won't be traded, I just don't think he'll be traded because of the arbitration ruling.

Without silly assumptions we wouldn't have a message board.  And SD wouldn't have that extra cash to buy a pack of gum.

Yeah? Gum costs nothing these days? Nice! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

34GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

No no, Budget Logic clearly dictates that the same player we'd love to have on our roster for $2.5 mil is one we'd have to ship off for spare parts if there's a $500k difference or whatever.
I thought this off season might have shown us that there's absolutely no internal budget, but...I think there probably is...

35GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We will see. Right now there's a lot of posturing from the send side of things. Wait till we see what the numbers look like

36GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:06 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

No no, Budget Logic clearly dictates that the same player we'd love to have on our roster for $2.5 mil is one we'd have to ship off for spare parts if there's a $500k difference or whatever.
I thought this off season might have shown us that there's absolutely no internal budget, but...I think there probably is...

Oh course there's a budget. The point is the budget is not the cap floor, that not every single bad thing that happens in the organization is traceable back to that one issue, and that having a budget hasn't cost us a single core player. If you have to pay Hoffman more than you were budgeting, you don't trade him away because he's $500k over what you had in mind. You still have plenty of other options, such as buyouts and trades -- and for all BM's talk about 'no buyouts,' buying out Greening will save the team money in the long run if they're convinced (as they should be at this point) that they'll never trade that contract without having to eat something equally bad in return.

37GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

My opinion is that if the number is something the Sens can live with, then they will buy out Greening and promote Puempel. If it goes to arb and is north of 3 then the will move Hoffman, keep Greening and promote Pumpel. Either way I believe they have a higher opinion of Pumpel than Hoffman.

38GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

Without silly assumptions we wouldn't have a message board.  And SD wouldn't have that extra cash to buy a pack of gum.

Yeah?  Gum costs nothing these days?  Nice!  Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

If you know where to pick it from.

39GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:35 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So they went to arbitration I guess? It's after 9AM. How in the world do they not come to a 1 year, 2.8 million dollar deal?

40GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:41 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:So they went to arbitration I guess?  It's after 9AM.  How in the world do they not come to a 1 year, 2.8 million dollar deal?

They can still settle any time before an award is issued.

41GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:26 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoffman has a pretty strong case for his $3.4M, so his agent's advice might be just to see the thing through unless Ottawa comes close to that.

42GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:08 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:My opinion is that if the number is something the Sens can live with, then they will buy out Greening and promote Puempel.  If it goes to arb and is north of 3 then the will move Hoffman, keep Greening and promote Pumpel.  Either way I believe they have a higher opinion of Pumpel than Hoffman.

My opinion is that Hoffman is 100% a part of this team next year regardless of how this plays out, with the only other option being trading him out for an upgrade. I believe the idea that we'd give up good talent over a few 100k's is laughable considering what the last 12 months have shown us. But that's me.

43GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:31 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:My opinion is that if the number is something the Sens can live with, then they will buy out Greening and promote Puempel.  If it goes to arb and is north of 3 then the will move Hoffman, keep Greening and promote Pumpel.  Either way I believe they have a higher opinion of Pumpel than Hoffman.

My opinion is that Hoffman is 100% a part of this team next year regardless of how this plays out, with the only other option being trading him out for an upgrade. I believe the idea that we'd give up good talent over a few 100k's is laughable considering what the last 12 months have shown us. But that's me.

in this case I think it would be about getting rid of a bad apple in the room more than anything

44GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:44 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Sens released a statement saying the arbitrator's ruling will not come any earlier than Sunday evening.

That's more than 72 hours later......at the earliest. Violating the 48 hour garbage written in the CBA. Clearly not enforced.

That said, if it's going to take a minimum of 3 days, maybe the arbitrator (or arbiter?) has a lot to ponder, which means both sides made good arguments.

45GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not sure why it takes more than 48 hours. Must be a reason

46GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:51 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:Not sure why it takes more than 48 hours.  Must be a reason

Yeah. It's the long weekend, and that means lots of beer and sunshine. Laugh1

47GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:54 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

in this case I think it would be about getting rid of a bad apple in the room more than anything

Maybe. Kinda feel like that would have happened before now if that were the case. In any event, the idea that we're going to ship a guy off solely over a few 100 Ks is pretty hilarious. But here we go again, Budget!!! explains all.

48GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit - Page 3 Empty Re: GUESS GAME: Hoffman's Term + Cap Hit Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:29 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Could be as simple as the arbitrator having a "day job" and he was busy Friday/Saturday.

But we all know the reason is the most obvious one -- budget.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum