GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+16
mattshock
SensHulk
TheAvatar
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
Oglethorpe
NEELY
rooneypoo
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
spader
Ev
PTFlea
wprager
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 67]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

That's pushing it for ROR... 7.5 I am not sure he's worth that. 6 for sure though.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

My priority would still be a top 4 leftie defenseman.
I don't feel like its a good idea to bring a new guy here and giving him dozens of millions while guys like Turris take hometown discounts.

But why are they talking about an extension before the draft for a player who is still a year away from free agency?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

7.5 per could also be ROR's way of saying f*** you to the Avs as well. He was passed over in favour of Landeskog for the "C" and tried to get out before by signing an offer sheet.

I think the D in Ottawa is fine, let them keep growing, people are way too impatient with the blueline here. There are literally no better options out there right now via UFA that wouldn't cost a ton of money.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:7.5 per could also be ROR's way of saying f*** you to the Avs as well.  He was passed over in favour of Landeskog for the "C" and tried to get out before by signing an offer sheet.

I think the D in Ottawa is fine, let them keep growing, people are way too impatient with the blueline here.  There are literally no better options out there right now via UFA that wouldn't cost a ton of money.

I dunno. I'm thinking you can get Ehrhoff or Martin on shorter deals, and to me, either is an upgrade on Cowen right now (well, Cowen circa 2014-2015 anyway). Sekera, I agree, he will go for too much.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:7.5 per could also be ROR's way of saying f*** you to the Avs as well.  He was passed over in favour of Landeskog for the "C" and tried to get out before by signing an offer sheet.

I think the D in Ottawa is fine, let them keep growing, people are way too impatient with the blueline here.  There are literally no better options out there right now via UFA that wouldn't cost a ton of money.

I dunno. I'm thinking you can get Ehrhoff or Martin on shorter deals, and to me, either is an upgrade on Cowen right now (well, Cowen circa 2014-2015 anyway). Sekera, I agree, he will go for too much.

At this point in their careers I don't think either is an upgrade on Weircioch who will only continue to get better and he's the #4 guy. Cowen on the 3rd pair isn't a bad situation honestly and you can hope he bounces back and has a come to God moment.

Unless they are moving a guy out I would stand pat with the D.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I want Green to run our second pairing and PP

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

At this point in their careers I don't think either is an upgrade on Weircioch who will only continue to get better and he's the #4 guy.  Cowen on the 3rd pair isn't a bad situation honestly and you can hope he bounces back and has a come to God moment.

We had some guys, including Cowen and The Philler, that simply were playing in roles beyond their abilities. You can put just about anyone you're not satisfied with on the bottom pairing and maybe appreciate how they play in that role.

Methot coming back got things back in order somewhat and I think adding a stabilizing influence of that ilk on the 2nd pairing would bump someone down into a better spot as well.

I think you can pick up a vet or two relatively cheap if there are enough cap strapped teams out there and really transform the D for the better while some younger guys have a little more time to grow.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

At this point in their careers I don't think either is an upgrade on Weircioch who will only continue to get better and he's the #4 guy.  Cowen on the 3rd pair isn't a bad situation honestly and you can hope he bounces back and has a come to God moment.

I'm not in love with the idea of going into the season with Wiercioch penciled as as the LH D on the second pairing. I'd prefer a failsafe -- if the org doesn't trust Cowen to push for that #4 spot and to push Wier to keep it, and to replace him if he can't hold it, then you need to bring someone in who will.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I just have a lot more faith in Wiercioch than most and always have. I think he's on the verge of being a legit top 4 Dman and there are obviously others in the hockey world that see his potential.

The last 1/2 of the season and the WC he looked as good any 2nd pairing D man in the NHL IMO. He just knows how to play and has a ton of skill to go with it. Shows up in big games too which shouldn't be overlooked.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:I just have a lot more faith in Wiercioch than most and always have.  I think he's on the verge of being a legit top 4 Dman and there are obviously others in the hockey world that see his potential.

The last 1/2 of the season and the WC he looked as good any 2nd pairing D man in the NHL IMO.  He just knows how to play and has a ton of skill to go with it.  Shows up in big games too which shouldn't be overlooked.

Yeah, well, you all know who I think should be off the 2nd pairing and it ain't Patty W.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Honestly I think both those guys were finding their stride at the end of the season and you saw chemistry. You can call them the 2nd or 3rd pair if you want but I wouldn't break those two players up. I like the pairing a lot... hell I like the D a lot in general. Young, talented, tough, and smart... they just need that experience and they have a bit now.

I would say let them play this year and see where the chips fall once the next season is complete.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Could be wrong, but I think RP is thinking ahead -- we have to move a D-man and nobody would want to take Cowen over Wiercioch, so now we are looking at who would be an upgrade over Cowen/Phillips/Borwiecki on the left side.

Who knows, though, maybe that guy is Claesson or Wikstrand.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

They are super high on both guys, especially high on Wikstrand.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Honestly I think both those guys were finding their stride at the end of the season and you saw chemistry.  You can call them the 2nd or 3rd pair if you want but I wouldn't break those two players up.  I like the pairing a lot... hell I like the D a lot in general.  Young, talented, tough, and smart... they just need that experience and they have a bit now.  

I would say let them play this year and see where the chips fall once the next season is complete.

I understand the point and could understand us sticking with the same D core. I just worry about what happens to your season if Wier can't hold down that spot and play consistently.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Honestly I think both those guys were finding their stride at the end of the season and you saw chemistry.  You can call them the 2nd or 3rd pair if you want but I wouldn't break those two players up.  I like the pairing a lot... hell I like the D a lot in general.  Young, talented, tough, and smart... they just need that experience and they have a bit now.  

Not sure I'd call them tough. That second pairing is very soft and Karlsson is not tough by any stretch (one big hit).

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Sounds like Kevin Bieksa is on the block.

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 13m13 minutes ago
To clarify, #canucks have spoken to Bieksa about moving on. He's agreed to waive if the right trade comes. A trade hasn't been finalized.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm not sure this is a season where the org is willing to do that.

There's a lot to look forward to but I think certain guys could use a lot more seasoning in more limited roles or in the AHL. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Wiercioch and a vet like Dennis Wideman.

LET'S DO IT!!!!

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Fair enough, I get where people are coming from but again I just have a ton of faith in that blueline and I think Wideman would be an ideal partner for Boroweicki.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum