GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+16
mattshock
SensHulk
TheAvatar
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
Oglethorpe
NEELY
rooneypoo
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
spader
Ev
PTFlea
wprager
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dude. You would want to give 4-5 mill for Williams but not to saad which has proved to be just as clutch? Come on. He's younger and I don't even know that he's reached potential. Yes I would give him 6 per year. Karlsson is going to cash in big time on his next contract. Look at 10 mill per. Don't use his current contract for comparrison

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:If he signs a 6.5 deal then I'll change my tune, but there's nothing that says he's earned thst.  Maybe 5 mil x 8 years, but not a penny more

Why they hell would you ever sign Saad for more than 4 years?  Might as well lock down Hoffman for 8 too...

I wouldn't have given up what Columbus did for Saad nor would I pay Saad anywhere near 5 mil let alone 6.5.  It amazes me people can't see what happened to Versteeg and not draw the same conclusion with Saad lol.  How many guys are successful away from Kane, Hossa, Kieth, Seabrook, and most importantly Toews?  The answer is none, at least not to the same extent they were in Chicago.  

Good luck Saad, hopefully the buyout talks don't start before at least year 3 or 4.

I don't see the similarities. Ladd, brouwer, Campbell, buff. Lots of guys move on and do well.

Versteeg was all flash, saad has more to him imo.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ladd has been ok... he's a character guy. Brouwer has done what? What's Bolland done? Campbell has been fine and he was before he got to Chicago but he's a D man, same with Buff.

Like I have said to you before, pay attention to history because it repeats itself over and over and over just like it will here. To suggest Saad is anything more than a Versteeg at this point is indeed ignoring history.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Guess we'll see. 20 year old who played a role in 2 cups whole notching 20 goals...good recipe for further success.

What I don't get is how he could ask for a penny over 5 long term. Doesn't make sense

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispensed wrote:Guess we'll see.  20 year old who played a role in 2 cups whole notching 20 goals...good recipe for further success.

What I don't get is how he could ask for a penny over 5 long term.  Doesn't make sense

He's not asking, he can talk to other teams and I am sure it was offered up.  He told Chicago to match and he would stay.  That's how I see this all playing out.

You're my boy but if there is anyone that has a larger case of new shinny toy syndrome I don't know who it is.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Guess we'll see.  20 year old who played a role in 2 cups whole notching 20 goals...good recipe for further success.

What I don't get is how he could ask for a penny over 5 long term.  Doesn't make sense

He's not asking, he can talk to other teams and I am sure it was offered up.  He told Chicago to match and he would stay.  That's how I see this all playing out.

You're my boy but if there is anyone that has a larger case of new shinny toy syndrome I don't know who it is.

I used to way more than I do now. But yeah, stilk probably true, I friggin love exciting new players and I think saad fits that mould big time.

The only shiny new toy I want here is a top 4 dman. Don't even care about handedness at this point. I want a new toy on d please.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wouldn't dream of paying him 6.5 though. No chance

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispensed wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I used to way more than I do now.  But yeah, stilk probably true, I friggin love exciting new players and I think saad fits that mould big time.

The only shiny new toy I want here is a top 4 dman.  Don't even care about handedness at this point.  I want a new toy on d please.

The position Saad was put in it would be tougher to fail than succeed. I like Saad, I think he's a valuable member of any team but in no way, shape, or form should he be the highest paid player. He's a 2nd line winger playing with 1st line talent all around him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I used to way more than I do now.  But yeah, stilk probably true, I friggin love exciting new players and I think saad fits that mould big time.

The only shiny new toy I want here is a top 4 dman.  Don't even care about handedness at this point.  I want a new toy on d please.

The position Saad was put in it would be tougher to fail than succeed.  I like Saad, I think he's a valuable member of any team but in no way, shape, or form should he be the highest paid player.  He's a 2nd line winger playing with 1st line talent all around him.  

That's the thing though, there's no way you can know that yet. I think the worst he can be is an elite 2nd liner, best is obviously a top liner. Speed to burn and an unusually low shooting percentage where he scored once in every 10 shots - and still bagged 23.

Odds are on him improving on shooting percentage and being around a 30 goal guy with excellent wheels. Plus great compete level on this kid.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Can you know for certain? No. Can you make an educated guess? Yup. The past indicated that Saad will not live up to his potential contract but we'll see what it is tomorrow.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He won't be worth 6.5 for another 3 or 4 years imo. I like the player but 6.5 would be a silly overpayment.

I'll believe that when I see it

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:None of those players are anywhere near Saad's level, though.  

Dano could be.

"Could be" for a guy you've invested 6 years to develop?  Looking back at Dano's stats he hasn't shown all that much offense at other levels.  We'll see, I guess.

Let's not exagerate, he was drafted in 2011.

Saad is not a difference maker in Chicago, they can find an easy cheaper alternative.

Last edited by LeCaptain on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total

NEELY

Mod
Mod

The more I think on it the more I like this deal for Chicago. A lot actually.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:Bet?

$20 somebody signs him

By the way, Ribeiro is resigning in Nashville

Ribeiro is a lazy comparison. Come on now.

I could see Semin get a 1 or 2 year deal in a place like Florida or even NJ.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:
NEELY wrote:Martin Jones to the Sharks.

For a 1st which could potentially be a good pick.  Doug Wilson is terrible at his job.

2 firsts and change for Lucic is shocking. Hopefully the Broons waste both on 2nd/3rd rounded like Senyshyn again.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Doggie Hamilton sticks with Flames for 5.75 x 6 years

more to come
He must really wanted out of Boston if he took this deal from Calgary. That's a deal I'm sure Boston could of made work. By all counts he must have been asking them for a lot more in the hopes of a trade.

Crazy.
Young Sweeney is being widely criticized for pulling the trigger so quick without negotiating. Lack of pedigree is showing up for sure.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

The Hamilton deal I still don't get but the Lucic deal wasn't complete until yesterday and they ended up getting 2 first rounders for him and a prospect for a 1 year rental. That's not bad return for a guy who has peaked and is on a downslide.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:Bet?

$20 somebody signs him

By the way, Ribeiro is resigning in Nashville

Ribeiro is a lazy comparison. Come on now.

I could see Semin get a 1 or 2 year deal in a place like Florida or even NJ.

Ugh, NJ is always a possibility. I just think he leaves for $$$ in the KHL, that's what I am betting on. That and he dislikes NA.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum