GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+12
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
rooneypoo
SensHulk
tim1_2
spader
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
NEELY
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 67]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:The thing is, if you're getting another forward he has to be a difference maker.   I like our top six a lot as it is, I actually like a top 9 with puempel, so if you're upgrade it needs to be as Ev said, a Lucic or ROR .   Williams as a third liner has legs too  

ROR will probably end up a Ranger. Same for Williams.

Good thing you already like our top 6.

After they trade Nash to the Sens, you mean?

Perhaps. Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 852933671

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:The thing is, if you're getting another forward he has to be a difference maker.   I like our top six a lot as it is, I actually like a top 9 with puempel, so if you're upgrade it needs to be as Ev said, a Lucic or ROR .   Williams as a third liner has legs too  

Who wouldn't like our top 6?  What were we 6th highest scoring team in the league  

Again,  if you're going to get someone, make sure it's a difference maker  

They were 9th, actually, and likely benefited from two teams in our Division tanking for McDavid. Add in the fact that we had the league's highest scoring defenseman on the back-end and our top-six production is probably middle-of-the-pack. Hardly "who wouldn't like" territory.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:They could be and I would be insanely happy if they ended up moving Anderson over Lehner.

I don't think where guys slot in on the wings is all that important, good players will be able to play both sides of the ice effectively, it's not the same as a D man but there is an adjustment.  A guy like Stone could move over to the left wing and he wouldn't miss a beat.  A smart player like that can play any position up front if he's physically capable.  

I wouldn't bother trying. He's been a RW his whole life so I wouldn't try to switch him over now maybe if that was the last resort, but i would still target a pure left winger first and then if that fails then do whatever. We need an upgrade on Hoffman/MacArthur, like Sharp or Marleau

Marleau already refused to come here once...

Sharp eh? Not really an upgrade on Hoffman or MacArthur. Maybe Condra. Maybe.

Sharp would be the guy with the Cup rings that could play middle-six.  But that's $10.5M over the next two years.  Hawks would have to take something back and they are not in a position to do so.  If the Sens were willing to pay that much, why not throw an offer sheet at Saad, instead.  They'd have to match and then there would be even more pressure to move someone (would Hossa want to come back and finish here?)

If the Sens offer sheet Saad and Chi-town matches, you really think they'd be willing to turn around and trade us one of the forwards that they could no longer afford? scratch

They'd refuse a trade that would help them out of spite? An offersheet is something that's in the CBA and no-one made any attempt to take it out in the last lockout. Stan knows it's a business and nothing personal.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:They could be and I would be insanely happy if they ended up moving Anderson over Lehner.

I don't think where guys slot in on the wings is all that important, good players will be able to play both sides of the ice effectively, it's not the same as a D man but there is an adjustment.  A guy like Stone could move over to the left wing and he wouldn't miss a beat.  A smart player like that can play any position up front if he's physically capable.  

I wouldn't bother trying. He's been a RW his whole life so I wouldn't try to switch him over now maybe if that was the last resort, but i would still target a pure left winger first and then if that fails then do whatever. We need an upgrade on Hoffman/MacArthur, like Sharp or Marleau

Marleau already refused to come here once...

Sharp eh? Not really an upgrade on Hoffman or MacArthur. Maybe Condra. Maybe.

Sharp would be the guy with the Cup rings that could play middle-six.  But that's $10.5M over the next two years.  Hawks would have to take something back and they are not in a position to do so.  If the Sens were willing to pay that much, why not throw an offer sheet at Saad, instead.  They'd have to match and then there would be even more pressure to move someone (would Hossa want to come back and finish here?)

If the Sens offer sheet Saad and Chi-town matches, you really think they'd be willing to turn around and trade us one of the forwards that they could no longer afford? scratch

They'd refuse a trade that would help them out of spite?  An offersheet is something that's in the CBA and no-one made any attempt to take it out in the last lockout.  Stan knows it's a business and nothing personal.
Nice on paper but feelings exist in the real world. If you end up messing with a team and how they will be able to arrange their internal financial structure because they had to match an offer sheet, I really doubt that they'll be inclined to do you any favour.
The world isn't as straight and logical as you make it out to be. Especially in a competitive environment.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well if it's as competitive as you say it is then doesn't it make sense for the Sens to throw an offer-sheet at Saad and basically get a better, younger, cheaper player than Sharp for just picks?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Plan the parade:

Ryan Kennedy ‏@THNRyanKennedy 6h6 hours ago

Anaheim and Ottawa are the finalists for free agent Clarkson U. D-man Kevin Tansey. He's a big, tough shutdown man.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Well if it's as competitive as you say it is then doesn't it make sense for the Sens to throw an offer-sheet at Saad and basically get a better, younger, cheaper player than Sharp for just picks?

That's an entirely different argument.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Who wouldn't like our top 6?  What were we 6th highest scoring team in the league  

They were 9th, actually, and likely benefited from two teams in our Division tanking for McDavid.  Add in the fact that we had the league's highest scoring defenseman on the back-end and our top-six production is probably middle-of-the-pack.  Hardly "who wouldn't like" territory.

That's with Ryan having a sub par season, zibanejad being balls for the first 20. I think our top 6 is pretty damn good

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Plan the parade:

Ryan Kennedy ‏@THNRyanKennedy 6h6 hours ago

Anaheim and Ottawa are the finalists for free agent Clarkson U. D-man Kevin Tansey. He's a big, tough shutdown man.

Lord knows we need D prospects. Reel 'im in!

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We'll be making room shortly and there's room in Bingo.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

dude is from here, played at Clarkson. Don't see why he wouldn't sign here to play in Bingo close to home and his old school

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

They were 9th, actually, and likely benefited from two teams in our Division tanking for McDavid.  Add in the fact that we had the league's highest scoring defenseman on the back-end and our top-six production is probably middle-of-the-pack.  Hardly "who wouldn't like" territory.

That's with Ryan having a sub par season, zibanejad being balls for the first 20.  I think our top 6 is pretty damn good  

Well I hope you can think them into actually playing like that. Truth is we were likely middle-of-the-pack up front, a mess in our own end, and then a record-setting "rookie" goalie, combined with several other teams sucking down the stretch got us into the playoffs. Don't plan the parade just yet. We could just as easily miss the playoffs altogether next season. We *hope* that Ryan recovers and Hoffman continues and Stone gets even better and MacArthur stays healthy and and and. We may have enough to fill the top-six with a couple question marks, but we have little depth in case of injuries.

Who will step up? Pageau? Sure, for a few games. Puempel? Greening? Smith? Neil?

Murray wants another top-six and I don't blame him. I honestly think he got Legwand precisely for that reason. Pro scouting needs to do better than that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

That's with Ryan having a sub par season, zibanejad being balls for the first 20.  I think our top 6 is pretty damn good  

Well I hope you can think them into actually playing like that.  Truth is we were likely middle-of-the-pack up front, a mess in our own end, and then a record-setting "rookie" goalie, combined with several other teams sucking down the stretch got us into the playoffs.  Don't plan the parade just yet.  We could just as easily miss the playoffs altogether next season.  We *hope* that Ryan recovers and Hoffman continues and Stone gets even better and MacArthur stays healthy and and and.  We may have enough to fill the top-six with a couple question marks, but we have little depth in case of injuries.

Who will step up?  Pageau?  Sure, for a few games.  Puempel?  Greening?  Smith?  Neil?

Murray wants another top-six and I don't blame him.  I honestly think he got Legwand precisely for that reason.   Pro scouting needs to do better than that.

I think Ryan and zibanejad have great seasons, the question marks are Hoffman and michalek, but at what point are you giving puempel a chance? Or prince.

I don't see a scenario where we get an impact lw, which is where it needs to be with Ryan, stone aND Lazar at rw already.

The defence is where I'd upgrade

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Well I hope you can think them into actually playing like that.  Truth is we were likely middle-of-the-pack up front, a mess in our own end, and then a record-setting "rookie" goalie, combined with several other teams sucking down the stretch got us into the playoffs.  Don't plan the parade just yet.  We could just as easily miss the playoffs altogether next season.  We *hope* that Ryan recovers and Hoffman continues and Stone gets even better and MacArthur stays healthy and and and.  We may have enough to fill the top-six with a couple question marks, but we have little depth in case of injuries.

Who will step up?  Pageau?  Sure, for a few games.  Puempel?  Greening?  Smith?  Neil?

Murray wants another top-six and I don't blame him.  I honestly think he got Legwand precisely for that reason.   Pro scouting needs to do better than that.

I think Ryan and zibanejad have great seasons, the question marks are Hoffman and michalek, but at what point are you giving puempel a chance?  Or prince.

I don't see a scenario where we get an impact lw, which is where it needs to be with Ryan, stone aND Lazar at rw already.

The defence is where I'd upgrade  

Pretty sure you can upgrade on Lazar and it's easy since he's eligible for the AHL.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The defence may be where YOU'D upgrade, but it's not where Murray said HE'S going to upgrade. I think he's going to be willing to start the year with the same D we ended it with....

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:The defence may be where YOU'D upgrade, but it's not where Murray said HE'S going to upgrade.  I think he's going to be willing to start the year with the same D we ended it with....

Well said, Timmer.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:The defence may be where YOU'D upgrade, but it's not where Murray said HE'S going to upgrade.  I think he's going to be willing to start the year with the same D we ended it with....

I guess. Probably thinking that another big time forward let's the defence mature slowly while we try to outscore opponents. Itll be interesting to see what happens

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:

I guess.  Probably thinking that another big time forward let's the defence mature slowly while we try to outscore opponents.  Itll be interesting to see what happens

I think if Murray was presented with some great offer that upgraded the D, he'd do it, but I don't think it's something he's pursuing. I also wouldn't expect him to go after any D free agents. Don't forget, we have Phillips coming back, in addition to guys like Wideman (if resigned) and Claesson that could use a roster spot.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum