GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

PGDT - Game 3: Canadiens @ Sens - Sunday, Apr 19th, 7:00pm

+8
Vandelay
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Hoags
PTFlea
Ev
NEELY
tim1_2
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:

Next question is: what's up with Ryan.  

As we've speculated for a while, he must be injured.  There is really no doubt in my mind.  It is the ONLY explanation.  I'm guessing it might be his back.

Must be something like that. Or hips or knees, gotta be sonething. The Sens brass needs to look at our scoring depth and question if its good enough to overcome an injury like that. I think it probably is, but maybe they want to try to sign a Stewart style guy regardless - if he's even available on July 1.

I strongly think it's the defence - as in, we need another truly dangerous Dman who can and does score 40+ points while being good defensively. Easier said than done, but that's what we need.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:i don't buy that their 4th line is good and ours isn't. They had one good game and then Weise scored two flukey goals. It's random luck.

Not sure i totally buy it either, but Im not big on legwand and especially smith personally. So slow.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Don't forget Matt Pumpy Puempel was playing really well when he got injured. He would've helped our scoring depth, no doubt. And maybe Da Costa contributes next year. There's a lot of interesting options going forward without even thinking about bringing a guy in from outside the organization. I wouldn't know what to do; hopefully B Murr does.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good point. Puempel is a player id 100% expect to make the lineup. Prince looked good too when he got the call, but yeah, Puempel can play.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why did prince only get 2 games to be looked at?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:

Next question is: what's up with Ryan.  

As we've speculated for a while, he must be injured.  There is really no doubt in my mind.  It is the ONLY explanation.  I'm guessing it might be his back.

The hit from Petry back in mid-March, I think. Remember he passed the puck from the corner and then got blind-sided (late) by Petry. He went flying back-first into the boards and took a couple minutes to get up. Kept waiving the trainer away as if to say "No, I'm fine" so at the time I figured he must have just been winded and was trying to catch his breath. Now, though, I'm wondering of something got jarred loose. Last night, a couple times, I saw him try to take a big stride and just fall flat on his face. It's not that he needs his skates sharpened because this has been happening for a while. There's some damage there.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:i don't buy that their 4th line is good and ours isn't. They had one good game and then Weise scored two flukey goals. It's random luck.

Random luck three games in a row?

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:Why did prince only get 2 games to be looked at?

Not sure, but I can tell you that a lack of Shane Prince isn't the problem.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:

Not sure i totally buy it either, but Im not big on legwand and especially smith personally.  So slow.

I actually like Legwand on the 4th line. I think he does a good job in that role.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispensed wrote:
NEELY wrote:You can't, you need a 4th line in the playoffs, all Cup winners have a 4th line they can throw out there and count on.

Neil is a perfect guy to have on the wing there but Legeand and Hoffman are useless on that same line.  I would love to see what a guy like Robinson brings to that spot next year and a guy like Smith back at center.  

The 3rd line I think you let Condra walk at this point and try and bring in a guy with a little size, some speed, and some smart.  Maybe Michalek moves down there though. The top 2 lines I wouldn't really ]touch at all but the Sens do need a big LH center still.

Back on the blueline I still really like the top 4 but they may need a vet back there capable of being a top 4 guy.  Where they are going to get that player I have no idea but Gryba had a really tough time in this series and they need an upgrade there too.  

Goaltending... Anderson is gone.  He was awesome last night but like the story of his season he wasn't able to get it done.  Hammond I think gets resigned to a 2 year deal as the backup, Lehner probably gets the chance to be the #1, and hopefully O'Connor decides Ottawa is the best place for him.

All in all there doesn't need to be any major moves but they should be making some important one.  I think this is going to be a 2 year process to really put this team together.  They need to be just a little tougher, a little faster and mobile on the backend, and they need to figure out the goalie situation once and for all.

Agree with this.  

We're clearly on the right track.  You need to clear out a couple of spots, legwand and smith for two, leave Neil there and either sign a vet or use a guy like grant and or Robinson.  You need a clear definition of the 4th line.  

Next question is: what's up with Ryan.  I doubt a top six player is needed anymore at this point, funnily enough after last night, I think the top six is fine.  

2nd pairing left handed D might be the singular most important move made next summer even if they don't mess with the bottom six.  Must upgrade Wiercioch and Cowen - now.

I'm still not convinced you move Smith. You need a 4th line center and truth be told Smith and Neil together on a 4th line isn't a bad combo, they just need that 3rd guy with some speed and touch around the net and that could be Robinson going forward or they go out and get a guy like Upshall who can play that role and give the Sens a very savy 4th line who can chip in here and there.

Fact is the difference in the series right now is everyone in Montreal has a role right now and not everyone in Ottawa has one. Chaisson, Hoffman, two guys who have done nothing and I mean nothing in the playoffs, Legwand is there too but he's had a chance or two.

The 3rd line is still learning and growing up they need a guy who can score some and has a bit of an edge. I think a guy like Chris Stewart would be absolutely perfect on the other side of Pageau and Lazar or Zack Kassian. Could you imagine Pageau going around pissing everyone off then having to stare down Kassian? They need to find the right players to bring in to support they strong core.

Defense, I think everyone agrees they need 1 more guy back there because Gryba isn't going to be doing the job much longer. Can't keep up right now.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I laughed some:

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:

No idea what Prince could have done. He only got 2 games but, really, he didn't distinguish himself. Peumpel was definitely closer. Now, if Peumpel didn't get injured, imagine we had him instead of Chiasson. Heck, I'd take him over Michalek, at least in the short-term (Michalek, as expected, needs more time to get back into the swing of things).

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Again, the Sens need more of a Kassian than a Prince or Chaisson.  Kassian has his flaws but if you give him the right role and ask him to do what he's best at he could be a big time player for the Sens and a new Chris Neil type.  

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:

No idea what Prince could have done.  He only got 2 games but, really, he didn't distinguish himself.  Peumpel was definitely closer.  Now, if Peumpel didn't get injured, imagine we had him instead of Chiasson.  Heck, I'd take him over Michalek, at least in the short-term (Michalek, as expected, needs more time to get back into the swing of things).

He got back in the swing of things in the very first game by scoring a huge goal. One more goal than anyone not named Turris, Zibanejad, Wiercioch or MacArthur, the only other scorers, so far, not named Michalek.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm not sure I would go with a Stewart that really seemed to sulk it up in Buffalo.
Also there should be no talk about trading zib at this point. If anything we should get him a winger to play on the other side.
At this point Hoffman might be a good trade chip. Do you go after a ROR but is a Cowen and Hoffman big enough to land him? You might never get better value out of Hoffman. Still young and bad playoff but you can't discount that regular season. It's funny because those are both players I'd like another season of before I'd want to trade them but a trade for a guy like ROR could only come once. And both those guys might see their value go down. It be also insurance down the middle and just out RoR on the Wong with zib for now. Then you get a top 4 guy through FA and let the other young guys fight for a place on the team. Anderson will hopefully be gone but I don't see him leaving on his own. Needs a big trade to happen.
I think we might get stuck with legwand. Zack smith might even get waived. I think we probably start the season with Chris Neil but he might get traded near the deadline. Unless maybe a team like Edmonton comes after Anderson and he's part of the trade. They could use character to wake up their young core up.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:
spader wrote:

No idea what Prince could have done.  He only got 2 games but, really, he didn't distinguish himself.  Peumpel was definitely closer.  Now, if Peumpel didn't get injured, imagine we had him instead of Chiasson.  Heck, I'd take him over Michalek, at least in the short-term (Michalek, as expected, needs more time to get back into the swing of things).

He got back in the swing of things in the very first game by scoring a huge goal. One more goal than anyone not named Turris, Zibanejad, Wiercioch or MacArthur, the only other scorers, so far, not named Michalek.

I've thought Michalek has been one of the better Sens these playoffs.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:

Well, no. I wasn't really saying that, I've always been curious why he only got 2 games.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Again, the Sens need more of a Kassian than a Prince or Chaisson.  Kassian has his flaws but if you give him the right role and ask him to do what he's best at he could be a big time player for the Sens and a new Chris Neil type.  

Not sure he's available. Now that Stewart's a UFA, there's a better chance we can go after him for the 3rd line IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum