GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Blackhawks @ Sens, Thursday, Oct 30, 7:30 PM

+10
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
dennycrane
PTFlea
LeCaptain
SensHulk
Ev
wprager
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Who cares about shootouts, we should make the playoffs even if we lose all of them otherwise we shouldn't be there.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:That's because Cowen has lost the benefit of the doubt.  It's like a kid who makes the same mistake over and over again vs a kid who never makes a mistake but did this time around but it was for the greater good in his mind and what is being asked of him.  Cowen has lost any and all benefit of the doubt at this point and it's about time you realize that.  There's a reason he was sat for over 2 weeks straight, that's how bad his game is/was and that's what they think of him at this point.

It wasn't a stupid play because it worked, team was flat and despite the goal it got things going.  

Yeah, let's not forget that Cowen cost us a top-10 pick, whereas Borowiecki was a later rounder; Cowen held out for big bucks he didn't deserve, while Borowiecki quietly played for AHL bucks and earned his one-way and extension. So, yes, less is expected from Borowiecki, however Boro is +3 in 8 games and Cowen is -2 in 4. Boro has taken 7 minors, two of those were coincidental; only one goal scored against on the ensuing powerplays; he also drew the major, on which the Sens scored. Cowen's only taken 3 minors (but in 3 games), none were coincidental, and opposition scored a PPG on one of them. He hasn't drawn any penalties.

Borowiecki is ahead, for sure, and you have to look no further than the fact he hasn't been a healthy scratch yet, while Cowen has sat out 5 games.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Can't stop thinking about that kid line.  Hoffman is a perfect compliment to stone and lazar.  Future rock solid third line?  

Could be a near-future 2nd line if they keep playing like they did last night.

I'll wait til I see them on the road. Pmac kept putting them against the Hawks' 3rd D pairing and that gives a pretty huge advantage.

Someone's gotta play against the 3rd pairing. You think on the road the other coach will be putting his third pairing guys against Turris or Zibanejad?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:Who cares about shootouts, we should make the playoffs even if we lose all of them otherwise we shouldn't be there.

I care about the extra point.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shootouts are a coin flip

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Can't stop thinking about that kid line.  Hoffman is a perfect compliment to stone and lazar.  Future rock solid third line?  

I'll wait til I see them on the road. Pmac kept putting them against the Hawks' 3rd D pairing and that gives a pretty huge advantage.

Someone's gotta play against the 3rd pairing.  You think on the road the other coach will be putting his third pairing guys against Turris or Zibanejad?

The discussion was about the kid line becoming a 2nd line for us in the near future. Are you following the debate now? Smile

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:shootouts are a coin flip

Not to the NJ devils they aren't. Until last night, it was automatic loss.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:
wprager wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Someone's gotta play against the 3rd pairing.  You think on the road the other coach will be putting his third pairing guys against Turris or Zibanejad?

The discussion was about the kid line becoming a 2nd line for us in the near future.  Are you following the debate now? Smile

I was replying to *your* post which is right above, so I won't bother repeating it. What they may become 2-3 years down the line is not the point when you are wondering how they will do on the road when PMac can't always put them out against the third pairing.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Interesting move by P-Mac, putting ZBad out there late when we needed a goal...and did it ever pay off.  Zibanejad looked pretty relieved too.  

And yeah, I forgot to mention the kid line...really impressive.  The cool thing about that line is it provides us a legit threat as a 3rd line, without taking away any of the primary "top 6" forwards we have (Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Chiasson)...if we can keep that kid line together, that'd be sweet.

Too bad he didn't put him out even later, when they still needed a goal. The key to Ryan's game -- at least his goal scoring -- is his quick release. Perfect example last night. The puck was off the Chicago player's stick for a millisecond and WHAM! Bobby scores. Players like that sometimes don't do well in shootouts because that element of surprised just isn't there.

Zibanejad, on the other hand, scored already this year and it was an excellent shot, IIRC. Last year he was 50%. Turris, although that was a poor attempt, was 1 for 1 coming in and was 50% last year. Chiasson was 0 for 1 and was 20% last year. So I really don't get it. Turris, sure, not very good this time but history on his side. Chiasson, historically not very good. Ryan was 0 for 4 last season and is not 0 for 5 as a Sen. So why not go with a guy that scored a goal already and is above 50% over last couple of seasons? Stone has also shown some really good hands close in.

A couple years ago on this very forum, I screamed about why we were picking certain guys in the shootout. I was told by pretty much everyone to shut up and that the coach (Clouston at the time) knew what he was doing.

Personally, I would've put Stone, MacArthur, and Hoffman in there to start.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Zbad is our best shootout guy AINEC. I think he should have been in there.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It was odd that zbad wasn't out there.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:Zbad is our best shootout guy AINEC. I think he should have been in there.

I have no idea what "AINEC" means. I ordinarily would have picked ZBad, but with his struggles of late, I wouldn't have picked him for the initial 3 shooters. Maybe the 5th or 6th.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Sens have been fine in the shootout... last night literally every guy tried to go 5 hole because every goal buddy let in was 5 hole. It's also the reason he hasn't seen an NHL game up until this point, he moves and there is a giant spot to put the puck. Nothing wrong with the guys they chose last night.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
Michallica wrote:Zbad is our best shootout guy AINEC.  I think he should have been in there.

I have no idea what "AINEC" means.  I ordinarily would have picked ZBad, but with his struggles of late, I wouldn't have picked him for the initial 3 shooters.  Maybe the 5th or 6th.

AINEC

(Internet slang) and it's not even close

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/AINEC

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Sens have been fine in the shootout... last night literally every guy tried to go 5 hole because every goal buddy let in was 5 hole.  It's also the reason he hasn't seen an NHL game up until this point, he moves and there is a giant spot to put the puck.  Nothing wrong with the guys they chose last night.

Ryan didn't try to go five hole.  Turris had a very weak attempt.  Bottom line is we sucked.  0 for 3 against an AHL goalie in his second game.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It wasn't the best shoot out performance considering darling was ripe to be beaten.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:It wasn't the best shoot out performance considering darling was ripe to be beaten.

That's what I'm saying. Our best SO performer did not even get a shot, despite having scored earlier. Coin flip or skills competition, we lost the lead twice and then had mediocre (at best) attempts at grabbing that extra point back. Not happy.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wasn't pleased as punch either, but we deserved to win that game and as lecaptain said, we'd beat most teams in the east with that performance.

Andy was awesome but he let in that 4th goal which could have been catastrophic.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum