GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15

+6
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
spader
DefenceWinsChampionships
tim1_2
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

121Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:41 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Not sure when Wideman will get a shot.  I guess if/when one of the right handers gets injured, because all three have cemented themselves as NHLers long term IMO.

Yeah, only injuries will allow him a crack at the NHL this year.  He is really good trade-bait though with the numbers he's putting up.

Maybe...it's so hard to say, right?  The pessimist in me thinks that every NHL team has - or thinks they have - a Chris Wideman, so the worth on him might be really low.

Yeah, there's a few AHL d-men with similar numbers.  And he is a small player (5'10", 175lbs), but this doesn't matter like it used to.

Such an interesting question. I'd love to know what teams would offer for Wideman.

I'd peg his current value at a 2nd rounder.

122Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Not sure when Wideman will get a shot.  I guess if/when one of the right handers gets injured, because all three have cemented themselves as NHLers long term IMO.

Yeah, only injuries will allow him a crack at the NHL this year.  He is really good trade-bait though with the numbers he's putting up.

Maybe...it's so hard to say, right?  The pessimist in me thinks that every NHL team has - or thinks they have - a Chris Wideman, so the worth on him might be really low.

Yeah, there's a few AHL d-men with similar numbers.  And he is a small player (5'10", 175lbs), but this doesn't matter like it used to.

Such an interesting question.  I'd love to know what teams would offer for Wideman.  

Confused!  what?

123Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Dave Ezard was 105 pt. D-Man with what's been called one of the hardest shots ever and a Memorial Cup MVP. Never got drafted. Why? 5-7, 153 lbs.

124Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:58 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Such an interesting question.  I'd love to know what teams would offer for Wideman.  

Confused!  what?

I believe Christopher Wideman of the Binghamton Senators could fetch a 2nd round pick in return in a trade scenario. Does this clarify my statement for you?

125Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:00 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Dave Ezard was 105 pt. D-Man with what's been called one of the hardest shots ever and a Memorial Cup MVP. Never got drafted. Why? 5-7, 153 lbs.

35 years ago lol...Only Walter is old enough to remember him.

126Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Confused!  what?

I believe Christopher Wideman of the Binghamton Senators could fetch a 2nd round pick in return in a trade scenario.  Does this clarify my statement for you?
Confused! Confused! Confused!  I believe you are wrong. the guy has never seen an NHL regular season game.
right now i'm wondering if you are joking.

127Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:08 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Confused!  what?

I believe Christopher Wideman of the Binghamton Senators could fetch a 2nd round pick in return in a trade scenario.  Does this clarify my statement for you?
Confused! Confused! Confused!  I believe you are wrong. the guy has never seen an NHL regular season game.

That's only because of our astonishing depth.

128Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:18 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

The way I look at it is that would you get a better defenceman with a 2nd round pick? Possibly, but it would be riskier as well. Wideman has at least played three years of professional hockey now and has shown improvement each step of the way.

He was drafted in the 4th round and has only increased in value since then I think.

Look at the d-men drafted in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft and point out someone obviously better than Wideman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

Heck, do it for the 2012 draft too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

The one guy that is having a better career so far, between those two 2nd round draft classes, is Damon Severson.

129Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:38 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

The way I look at it is that would you get a better defenceman with a 2nd round pick?  Possibly, but it would be riskier as well.  Wideman has at least played three years of professional hockey now and has shown improvement each step of the way.  

He was drafted in the 4th round and has only increased in value since then I think.

Look at the d-men drafted in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft and point out someone obviously better than Wideman:

Heck, do it for the 2012 draft too:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

The one guy that is having a better career so far, between those two 2nd round draft classes, is Damon Severson.
ya but the difference with picks is once you use them on which ever player they no longer hold thesame value usually(out of the 2nd round mostly, but also in the first two) IMO it doesn't work using a player's drafted position to generalize their worth. I see a guy breaking out in the AHL but he's not 20-21, he's 24. there's no guarantee he can make the jump to the NHL and he hasn't seen a meaningful game in the NHL. we could argue the value for sure but i would say a 2nd rounder is way too much

130Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

The way I look at it is that would you get a better defenceman with a 2nd round pick?  Possibly, but it would be riskier as well.  Wideman has at least played three years of professional hockey now and has shown improvement each step of the way.  

Heck, do it for the 2012 draft too:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

ya but the difference with picks is once you use them on which ever player they no longer hold thesame value usually(out of the 2nd round mostly, but also in the first two) IMO it doesn't work using a player's drafted position to generalize their worth. I see a guy breaking out in the AHL but he's not 20-21, he's 24. there's no guarantee he can make the jump to the NHL and he hasn't seen a meaningful game in the NHL. we could argue the value for sure but i would say a 2nd rounder is way too much

We'll never know, since it's not like Wideman is going to be traded straight-up for a pick.

131Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

a 3rd at most would be my guess. A team would likely prefer to send you a forward prospect for him straight up. Again though, I'm really curious, I wish we could be a fly on the wall for that.

132Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:47 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

35 years ago lol...Only Walter is old enough to remember him.

Perhaps he was just trying to reinforce your point by demonstrating how size used to matter more (since you said "it doesn't matter like it used to."

133Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

- Nick Paul - 58GP-37G-29A-66 OHL

- Tobias Lindberg - 67-32-46-78 OHL

- Harpur - 58GP, 5G, 26A-31 OHL

- Dunn - 46-19-13-32 QMJHL

- Perron - 64-29-47-76 QMJHL

- Wikstrand - 46-5-15-20 SEL

134Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:49 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

- Da Costa - 46-30-32-62 KHL

135Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:57 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Love me some Lindberg. Big boy with a knack for scoring.

136Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:10 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

A lot to like in that list. I'll be very interested to see how Francis Perron turns out. Started playing Major Junior at 16.

Interesting to note that while the myth that Detroit "keeps" finding late round gems persists, Ottawa is the team that actually does it for real.

137Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:42 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lindberg and Perron are intriguing prospects. I especially liked what Lindberg did in his limited pre season time.

138Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15 Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:04 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Wikstrand is a stud

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum