GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+17
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
spader
LeCaptain
SensHulk
tim1_2
TheAvatar
Oglethorpe
22_4_ever
wprager
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Flo The Action
Hoags
NEELY
PTFlea
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd say the core of the team is now:

Lehner, Z-Bad, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Smith, Karlsson, Methot, Cowen (blah) - with Lazar, Pageau and Ceci representing the next pieces of the puzzle.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

MacLean's coaching decisions are mind boggling this year, it's almost like it's Paul MacClone back there and not the coach we had the past 2 years.

I find it hard to believe he's lost the room like Clouston, that's precisely why they hired him.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Watch Spezza and BFR walk after 2014/15...

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I am not going to even bother guessing because I have no faith in the organization at this point.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:You're wrong.  Tomorrow the Sens hit rock bottom and have no place to hide.
You said the same thing about florida.

anyways, here's proof of what I speak of. First goal always scored by the leafs

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Watch Spezza and BFR walk after 2014/15...
That would destroy this organization IMO. We'd be set back at least 4 years, maybe more.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What is more likely: Heatley scoring 50 #clapbombs again or Spezza winning a Cup

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:What is more likely: Heatley scoring 50 #clapbombs again or Spezza winning a Cup
Spezza win a Cup, come on.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:Beating the Leafs would bring a little calm to the situation in Ottawa right now... a loss would be the last straw IMO and you will see a move just for the sake of seeing a move.  IE they may just give Greening away.
The last 2 seasons.. the Leafs have had the better of Ottawa. Sucks to say.. but it's reality..

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:Exactly, give the kids in Bingo something to play for other than a potential roster spot next year.  It's time to start putting together the team they want next year right now.
That move will give Anaheim the first overall pick. Moving vets and bringing up the young inexperienced players is not going to help this team win..

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:Watch Spezza and BFR walk after 2014/15...
That would destroy this organization IMO.  We'd be set back at least 4 years, maybe more.
Not really, but BFR leaving for nothing would join the list of huge mistakes by the organization such as Redden over Chara, drafting Daigle at #1, maybe even letting Alfie walk etc.

They'll hype Lazar to compensate.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Spezza ain't going nowhere. That you can book. Once he got the "C", he was locked in for the year. I'm thinking it's gonna take the entire season for him to "adjust" and finally get it. Is that optimistic? I dunno. A pipe dream? Some will argue he'll never get it and is not a leader. Only time will tell. I think we've underestimated the turmoil that the Sens are facing this season. This is gonna be a long and rough ride for us fans. My expectations have changed significantly based on our first 30 games, sad to say. I'll continue to hold out hope they can turn it all around.
Agreed. It's hard for Spezza to follow a living legend in Ottawa. He will need time. Most of the young players on the team have never been through a losing streak like this before... and the pressure is mounting. They are getting so down on themselves.

The experiment of the two OHL assistant coaches has to be over for next season. Bring up Luke Richardson to work with the defense. He has taught most of the young players on this team... and he has played in the NHL at a high level... Reeds has not. Bring in a good experienced NHL asst coach to work on special teams, as Dave Cameron is failing miserably. I don't give a damn if he is best buds with Melnyk.. this is what's best for the team...

So Mr.Melnyk, instead of spending $$ on TV's -- invest it in the team with 2 new experienced asst coaches and a top 4 D..

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:Beating the Leafs would bring a little calm to the situation in Ottawa right now... a loss would be the last straw IMO and you will see a move just for the sake of seeing a move.  IE they may just give Greening away.
They need to bring up Pageau, maybe DaCosta.  Borowiecki played better than Cowen and Gryba when he was up here (he may have played better than Wiercioch and Corvo as well but I'm only comparing him to the same-style players).  Then Ceci might warrant a quick look as well.  And lets' not forget Stone, Dziurzynsky and even Big Buddy.

We have lots of move that cannot be made unless we clear up some room.  Would they consider releasing Kassian?  Greening and Smith have some trade value but there's no way they can move Greening's $2.65M cap hit (starting next season) without taking some salary back; same with Smith, but to a lesser extent.  Geez, how did Greening get double what Smith got?  Is there any team out there that would do a roster player for pick move at this time?
I don't think Zack Smith goes anywhere. How would the young players for the AHL do any better with their inexperience over the guys you want to drive out of town?

This City gets so down on the team when it hits losing streaks. It's can the coach.. trade all of the underperforming players for someone else's garbage.

It's rather depressing..

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Reeds played in the NHL.

But I agree, they could use some more experience behind the bench. All three of the coaches are "new"coaches. Maybe put Walmsley behind there.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:If you take away his C, why would you want to re-sign him?
Because he can still be a PPG player and those don't grow on trees.
I agree, he puts up points, but at this point I don't think he will for long.  I'm not sure what to say.  Look at our team, the moment Turris and Ryan go into a mini-slump like they are now, the team tanks.

Gotta look long and hard right now and figure out if he's a part of the 'core' of this team going forward.  Z-Bad at 2C with two top notch wingers (which you could buy with Spezza's $$ and Michalek's $$) = a much better, more balanced team.
The Sens are 8th overall in the NHL in goals for. They are 26th overall in goals against... And that's the problem.

It's a reversal of last season where they were 2nd overall in goals against... and 27th overall in goals for.

Too bad both couldn't be combined...

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I hate to say it, but we don't need Jason Spezza, we need another Bobby Ryan or Kyle Turris or Zibanejad.  

The time to trade him is coming very soon, let's not get cold feet this time and let it lead to a Heatley scenario.

EDIT: With that said, I don't mind Spezza as a 2C IF you can put wingers there to keep him honest.  He's still a point producer, especially on the PP, but signing him long term is suicide.  Would he take a 5 year deal?  Doubtful.  His future is cloudy here to say the least.
Again I look to St.Louis in terms of getting top value back for Spezza.  Stuart is exactly the type of winger the Sens need long term and he's still young.  You can for sure get 2 first rounders as well as they are going for the cup and nothing else at this point and at best those picks will be around 24, 25 in the draft.  You also look to get a prospect like Rattie... might not make it but he's a decent prospect to add.

NYR if they could give up Hagelin... there might be something.
I have no idea anymore who's out there for Spezza...no idea who will give up what, no idea if he'd waive his NTC.  I'd like Shattenkirk from St.Louis - almost straight up, but I have no idea of the value there.  Stewart would be a nice fit with Z-Bad in theory, but that's on paper.  Big decisions coming up for Tim and Bryan Murray.
Huge man and up until this point Murray has 100% been behind Spezza and always backed off from trading Spezza for one reason or another be it value or the teams needs.  He needs to make the move this time because EVERYONE is seeing how Spezza is not working out in Ottawa.  You can give whatever excuse, reason, logic behind that be it positive or negative but the conclusion is the same.  Spezza will not work as captain in Ottawa nor is he the best center on the team anymore.  I also think most people would agree with the opinion that you can't sign him long term and Spezza will be looking for a retirement deal.
And it will take Ottawa 5-10 yrs to get a true #1 centre to replace him. Because if you do trade him, they are sure as hell not getting a #1 centre back.

Turris is playing better -- as the #2 centre.

How many were on here last season, saying Turris is not a #1 centre.... Now you say he is?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yes, because it's called development.

Spezza is not a true #1 centre, and they wouldn't need that coming back for him.

Turris is the #1 centre rigth now.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

sandysensfan wrote:The Sens are 8th overall in the NHL in goals for.  They are 26th overall in goals against...  And that's the problem.

It's a reversal of last season where they were 2nd overall in goals against... and 27th overall in goals for.

Too bad both couldn't be combined...
That's because the goalies stood on their head. We knew that wouldn't last.

The team has never been good defensively under MacLean, they were always in the bottom half of the league in shots allowed. The team basically just outscored their opponents and the goalies did the rest.

There really is no defense to speak of outside Karlsson and Methot.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum