GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thinking of buying a tablet

+9
Hobiesens
tim1_2
xzel
Number Twenty Nine
Ev
SeawaySensFan
spader
LeCaptain
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 13]

181Thinking of buying a tablet - Page 13 Empty Re: Thinking of buying a tablet Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:34 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Here are the diffs:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/134655-samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-vs-samsung-galaxy-tab-s-what-s-the-difference

The S2 models are slightly smaller but use a 4x3 aspect ratio (so wider in portrait, taller in landscape, with wider top/bottom bars when viewing widescreen video). The screen resolution (and pixel density) is lower than on the older ones. The batteries are smaller.

Unless you don't like the 16x9 aspect ratio I don't see any reason to buy the newer ones (and I really appreciate the drop in price prompted by the new ones).

182Thinking of buying a tablet - Page 13 Empty Re: Thinking of buying a tablet Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:57 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

BTW, Factory Direct has the 10.5" Tab S (factory refurb) for $350. Available online or at the Merivale location (the Gloucester one is out). Best deal now is $350 for the 8.4" ad Staples (this is even better than in the US) so that's a pretty decent deal. But I wanted the 8'4" and I also just started (this morning) to remove the old screen from the Nexus 7 (I'll continue when my fingers stop bleeding).

183Thinking of buying a tablet - Page 13 Empty Re: Thinking of buying a tablet Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:50 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

My Nexus 7 is alive again! Not quite finished. The two-sided tape I got is not fit for the task so for now the screen is is connected but not fixed in place. I can use it but have to be fairly careful about it. Will try to get the correct tape tomorrow.

184Thinking of buying a tablet - Page 13 Empty Re: Thinking of buying a tablet Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sadly, my Nexus 7 is done.  I've been having some issues with the touch screen.  Could never quite diagnose it.  Sometimes taking it apart and fiddling with the connectors helped, most of the time it didn't.  Sometimes the touch screen was just horribly lagging (like it would eventually react to the tap, but 10s of seconds later).  In the end I *believe* it was a semi-broken connector which would work better as the tablet warmed up, but then sometimes would stop when it warmed up too much (I'm thinking expansion played a part).  But it's come fully off, now (when it did I noticed a loose piece of solder below -- this is why I thought it might have been heat/expansion-related).

Anyhow, time for a new one.  Not too many places still have the Tab S.  See a few on Kijiji for $330 or thereabout.

EDIT: I see one guy's selling the LTE version of the 8.4" (tied to Bell) for $300. Says it's NEW and that he purchased it from The Source 2 months ago.  If you buy it from The Source it's $70 on a 2-year data plan with Bell, or $550 outright.  Feels a bit fishy.

185Thinking of buying a tablet - Page 13 Empty Re: Thinking of buying a tablet Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:06 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

For something that you plan on having for a long time, I'd buy new if at all possible.

Sad to hear about your Nexus 7. Mine is still rocking like a champ (I'm writing this on it right now, as I poop, of course).

186Thinking of buying a tablet - Page 13 Empty Re: Thinking of buying a tablet Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:19 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:For something that you plan on having for a long time, I'd buy new if at all possible.

Sad to hear about your Nexus 7. Mine is still rocking like a champ (I'm writing this on it right now, as I poop, of course).

TMI, of course.

The battery on the Tab S is significantly bigger than on the S2, and those are the things that generally wear out first. If I find a lightly used Tab S (like that guy who claims he bought one from The Source 2 months ago) then it will last as long (or longer) as a new S2.

There are also youtube videos on how to replace a battery (they may not be customer replaceable but quite often it takes little more than popping off the back cover, undoing a couple connectors and/or screws). It would be just like changing the LCD but without having to scrape off the old one -- that was 99% of the work).

187Thinking of buying a tablet - Page 13 Empty Re: Thinking of buying a tablet Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:20 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just remembered that I never did get a birthday present this year. Hmm.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum