GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+19
TheAvatar
M_Christopher
DefenceWinsChampionships
rooneypoo
DirtyDave
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
spader
Ev
SensHulk
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
sandysensfan
tim1_2
NEELY
PTFlea
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next

Go down  Message [Page 63 of 66]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:Bruins about to sign Theodore as backup to Rask.
Bobby Mac squelches the rumors.  It had originally come from Yvon Pednault TVA).

spader

All-Star
All-Star

According to an article on The Score, Kadri's camp wants to use Landeskog as a comparable. Laugh1 Facepalm 

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Good article. Always nice to see the Sens as the main headiline, especially in this type of article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1743810-predicting-stanley-cup-dark-horses-for-the-2013-14-nhl-season#/articles/1743810-predicting-stanley-cup-dark-horses-for-the-2013-14-nhl-season/page/5

I was giving it some thought, and I can really see Detroit being on the outside of the playoff picture looking in. They're an older team not used to the physicality they will be up against via Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo on a regular basis, and the skill/grit of Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and the Rangers.

Of the eight playoff teams, you have to consider Ottawa, Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh, are essentially locks. You then have to consider how close Columbus was last year, the Rangers and Flyers are poised for a return, as are the Caps and Isles. The Lightning might also be the most improved team via the draft this year. I don't know the rules pertaining to division leaders and how that amounts to the top eight seeding, but in order of success, here are my predictions:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Ottawa
5. Rangers
6. Islanders
7-8. Lightning, Blue Jackets, Flyers, Capitals

I can see Alfie being traded back here at the deadline. Would love to see him re-join the team for a cup run. I imagine Detroit would look at Ottawa first and foremost.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Pittsburgh and Boston are the only "locks" IMO.
I think Detroit will make it as well, the West is pretty physical and they made it despite a lot of injuries and almost beat Chicago.
Toronto is far from a lock, they got lucky last year. Questionable goaltending, questionable D and they can't even resign Kadri and Franson.
Ottawa should make it as well.
I'd put Montreal up there as well.

The rest is a crapshoot IMO, Rangers and Capitals will probably make it.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I like Toronto better than Montreal simply because I think they will be able to grind a few more points out in a really tough division. Normally I would say Boston is a lock but that team is absolutely beat to Dung and there isn't enough time off to fully heal but I would never bet against them making it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:According to an article on The Score, Kadri's  camp wants to use Landeskog as a comparable. Laugh1 Facepalm 
As comparable for what, height?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Good article. Always nice to see the Sens as the main headiline, especially in this type of article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1743810-predicting-stanley-cup-dark-horses-for-the-2013-14-nhl-season#/articles/1743810-predicting-stanley-cup-dark-horses-for-the-2013-14-nhl-season/page/5
Islanders as the next true dynasty? Not with the salary escalation, UFA age and playing in a 14,500 seat arena.

Anti Niemi boasts a "fantastic" 0.917 SV% and is elite? Since when -- since winning with a stacked Hawks team?

And Patrick Wiercioch is a "burgeoning superstar" headlining our resume along with Karlsson?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Souray out 3-5 months. Wrist ligaments.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Islanders as the next true dynasty?  Not with the salary escalation, UFA age and playing in a 14,500 seat arena.

Anti Niemi boasts a "fantastic" 0.917 SV% and is elite?  Since when -- since winning with a stacked Hawks team?  

And Patrick Wiercioch is a "burgeoning superstar" headlining our resume along with Karlsson?
Islanders will make way more money in Brooklyn. They should be fine, they might even have more ticket revenue then we do.

Niemi was pretty good last year, elite? probably not though.

Wiercioch could do really well here. Future superstar is a stretch but he should be money in the next few years.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

... or even longer:

Sportsnet ‏@Sportsnet 1m

#Ducks defenceman Sheldon Souray out 4-6 months after undergoing surgery to repair a torn ligament in right wrist. http://bit.ly/156tcIG

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Good article. Always nice to see the Sens as the main headiline, especially in this type of article:

I was giving it some thought, and I can really see Detroit being on the outside of the playoff picture looking in. They're an older team not used to the physicality they will be up against via Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo on a regular basis, and the skill/grit of Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and the Rangers.

Of the eight playoff teams, you have to consider Ottawa, Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh, are essentially locks. You then have to consider how close Columbus was last year, the Rangers and Flyers are poised for a return, as are the Caps and Isles. The Lightning might also be the most improved team via the draft this year. I don't know the rules pertaining to division leaders and how that amounts to the top eight seeding, but in order of success, here are my predictions:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Ottawa
5. Rangers
6. Islanders
7-8. Lightning, Blue Jackets, Flyers, Capitals

I can see Alfie being traded back here at the deadline. Would love to see him re-join the team for a cup run. I imagine Detroit would look at Ottawa first and foremost.  

Good article, if a bit hyperbolic. Prags makes some good points about the embellishments in the article. PW looks like he'll be very good, but a superstar moniker is definitely premature. Also, Gonchar as a franchise cornerstone? Really?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Pittsburgh and Boston are the only "locks" IMO.
I think Detroit will make it as well, the West is pretty physical and they made it despite a lot of injuries and almost beat Chicago.
Toronto is far from a lock, they got lucky last year.  Questionable goaltending, questionable D and they can't even resign Kadri and Franson.

Montreal were really lucky injury wise last year. as soon as they lost a couple of pieces they started to fall apart. my bet is they're not making the playoffs.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
Hoags wrote:Pittsburgh and Boston are the only "locks" IMO.
Toronto is far from a lock, they got lucky last year.  Questionable goaltending, questionable D and they can't even resign Kadri and Franson.

Montreal were really lucky injury wise last year. as soon as they lost a couple of pieces they started to fall apart. my bet is they're not making the playoffs.
They won the Division and now you say they won't be top-three? Granted, different divisions, but still. They have a few pieces that are set up to have breakout years and the reigning Norris Trophy winner (at least until they visit the Wild Nov. 1). Last year Price had an off season and they still had a great regular season. If Price regains his former form they'll be able to weather a few injuries and still be in a playoff position.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We may have a copycat minuser on the loose.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I often wondered if Gretzky's brother has done more than just those 7UP commercials in his life.

BRUINS PROMOTE GRETZKY TO DIRECTOR OF AMATEUR SCOUTING

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Kadri says the contract talks are becoming a distraction:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=430156

The Leafs have less than $5M in cap space left (if Gardiner plays in the AHL they have almost $6M) and they have Kadri and Franson left to sign. Kadri had 44 points in 48 games -- 2nd on the team -- but has no arbitration rights.

This article has an interesting table of potential comparables (players coming off their ELCs with similar PPG averages -- "career" as well as best year):
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/johnston-kadri-contract-could-be-tough-for-leafs/

The article was written with 9 games to go in the season, and Kadri only had 4 points over the last 9 games. Still, his numbers are not all that different from Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Eberle, and better than Kane. Biggest issue is the number of games played. Because he had spent most of the first 2 years in the AHL and this past season was only 48 games, he only has 100 games under his belt. The closest to that is Hall, who had 126, but better PPG average overall.

Thing is, the Leafs cannot afford to pay him as much as any of the players on that list. Not without moving a contract or two. Gardiner in the AHL helps, then they have Frazer *and* Orr and really don't need either one. But who will take them? Demote them to the minors?

Sticky mess and, I'm sure, a couple of "Delicious" posts are coming up.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

The other side of the coin is Kadri cannot afford to sit out and waste time on the sidelines or sign to play in Europe if and when the season begins. Kadri has barely 1 full year under his belt and although Subban isn't a comparable their situations are. Nonnis wants the bridge contract and Kadri wants the homerun contract which I don't think he ends up getting. Yah, he had one good 1/2 season of hockey and helped the Leafs make the playoffs but he hasn't proven nearly enough to warrant that kind of trust or money from the organization.

Franson is gone which will be a tough blow for the Leafs because he was REALLY solid for them all year. They will be in tough without one of the two let alone both to start the year potentially on top of missing camp. We'll see I guess but this will probably be resolved with Kadri.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Things are about to change in Edmonton -- some player won't know what hit 'em, I think.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/08/20/coach-dallas-eakins-to-edmonton-oilers-players-dont-get-left-behind

"I've sent out a training camp letter. Fitness has been clearly defined. The first day on the ice has been clearly defined. I've let them know not put themselves in position to ease their body and their minds into the rigours of being a hockey player or they'll be firmly left behind.
"Firmly left behind". Now that's hard a$$!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 63 of 66]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum