GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+14
Hobiesens
sandysensfan
dennycrane
spader
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
Ev
NEELY
Hoags
LeCaptain
wprager
shabbs
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 35 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Oilers/Blackhawks tonight... can the Oil stop the streak?

Laughing3 Can you imagine?

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:Oilers/Blackhawks tonight... can the Oil stop the streak?

Laughing3 Can you imagine?
Was hoping Columbus would... but the Oil will have to do.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Shanahan is a Dung for brains.

Most of these players are. So glad we got greening, condra, turris, dacosta, gryba...you know kids smart enough to get to university

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/30-thoughts-nhl-realignment-still-needs-work.html

Put a note in last week about the possibility of an Anderson trade, if Bryan Murray wanted to do it. Got a great counter-argument from one executive: when Erik Karlsson comes back, Ottawa is in the Stanley Cup conversation next year with Anderson. Do the Senators believe they can win it next year with Bishop or Robin Lehner?

Ole!

Other Sens stuff in his article:

Back in AHL training camp, Ottawa coach Paul MacLean and Binghamton counterpart Luke Richardson discussed philosophy. Richardson wanted to play the same way as the big club for consistency. MacLean wanted Richardson to have some flexibility. They decided to co-ordinate terminology and drills. One of the reasons the Senators are holding on amid all their injuries is, when players get called up, the familiarity creates comfort.

26. For example, one of the ideas MacLean likes to preach is "fast defence." Basically, he wants his forwards to create three lanes of support for defencemen trying to move or pass the puck out of their own zone. When the AHLers are called up, they understand what that means, no explanation necessary. "You can never move the puck fast enough for Paul," Richardson said.

27. Other advice Richardson gives to call-ups: "Be respectful but not too respectful. If you're battling Sidney Crosby, you must battle to win, or else you'll be back down here... I always tell them, 'I hope I never see you again,'" he laughed.

28. Craig Anderson's ankle injury could (slightly) change the goalie market. Ottawa needed to play Ben Bishop at least 30 minutes seven times this season to move him from an unrestricted free agent to a restricted one. He's going to get that done now. Not as much pressure now to trade Bishop instead of losing him for nothing.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:They just need to make it 15/15 and avoid any of this crap. Leave Columbus in the West. Move Detroit East. Move Winnipeg West.

Conference 1: Carolina; New Jersey; New York Islanders; New York Rangers; Philadelphia; Pittsburgh; Washington

Conference 2: Boston; Buffalo; Detroit; Florida; Montreal; Ottawa; Tampa Bay; Toronto

Conference 3: Chicago; Columbus; Colorado; Dallas; Minnesota; Nashville; St. Louis; Winnipeg

Conference 4: Anaheim; Calgary; Edmonton; Los Angeles; Phoenix; San Jose; Vancouver

As long as the conferences are still doubled up into an east/west division, you can still do the top 8 from each and there's no problem. Makes sense. The trouble comes if they want to say that the top 4 teams from each conference make the playoffs, as that will cause an imbalance (4/8 vs 4/7 chance of making the show).

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Current plan is to go with the top 4 in each conference for the first round. I don't think they can do that without an even balance across all 4 conferences, or some other re-jig to allow for a fair system.

A top 8 would work if they split East/West 15/15 by grouping conferences together for the seedings. Which is how it's done now, begging the question: what is the point?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/30-thoughts-nhl-realignment-still-needs-work.html

Put a note in last week about the possibility of an Anderson trade, if Bryan Murray wanted to do it. Got a great counter-argument from one executive: when Erik Karlsson comes back, Ottawa is in the Stanley Cup conversation next year with Anderson. Do the Senators believe they can win it next year with Bishop or Robin Lehner?

Ole!

Back in AHL training camp, Ottawa coach Paul MacLean and Binghamton counterpart Luke Richardson discussed philosophy. Richardson wanted to play the same way as the big club for consistency. MacLean wanted Richardson to have some flexibility. They decided to co-ordinate terminology and drills. One of the reasons the Senators are holding on amid all their injuries is, when players get called up, the familiarity creates comfort.

26. For example, one of the ideas MacLean likes to preach is "fast defence." Basically, he wants his forwards to create three lanes of support for defencemen trying to move or pass the puck out of their own zone. When the AHLers are called up, they understand what that means, no explanation necessary. "You can never move the puck fast enough for Paul," Richardson said.

27. Other advice Richardson gives to call-ups: "Be respectful but not too respectful. If you're battling Sidney Crosby, you must battle to win, or else you'll be back down here... I always tell them, 'I hope I never see you again,'" he laughed.

28. Craig Anderson's ankle injury could (slightly) change the goalie market. Ottawa needed to play Ben Bishop at least 30 minutes seven times this season to move him from an unrestricted free agent to a restricted one. He's going to get that done now. Not as much pressure now to trade Bishop instead of losing him for nothing.
finally it's being mentioned that we're gonna be back in contention. wonder if we finish in the bottom 5 in the hockeynews for next year. Laugh1

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Malkin on the IR:

https://twitter.com/Nichols_NHLPool/status/306114714558140417

"Evgeni Malkin placed on IR by #Pens retroactive to Feb. 22. Not a surprise. They want to be cautious and are well-schooled in concussions."

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
True story:

A long time ago one of my wife's friends (way before we met) ran into Shanahan after a game. She came up to him (camera in hand) and asked if she could get a picture.

Shanahan said sure and asked her to wait a moment while he went into the dressing room.

He came out a few minutes and said "Sorry I don't have any pictures of me right now".

(And he wasn't kidding -- he was dead serious)

That would be funny in a movie. In real life, well, hopefully that just brings some bad karma down on him.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Southleast division is going to screw a better team out of a playoff spot, due to that stupid rule where the division winner automatically gets a top 3 seed.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

tim1_2 wrote:The Southleast division is going to screw a better team out of a playoff spot, due to that stupid rule where the division winner automatically gets a top 3 seed.
They should make it simply guarantee a playoff spot. Not a top spot. That won't solve this issue you mentioned, but it's a step.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/30-thoughts-nhl-realignment-still-needs-work.html

Ole!

I love all of this article. From the explanation of why Anderson shouldn't be traded, to the Richardson/MacLean dynamic.

Love it.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Richardson has done a great job so far. The consistency between Bingo and Ottawa is an interesting tidbit, I didn't think it would benefit the team as much as it has.

I thought they'd never top Kleinendorst but I think they (almost) did, just need another Calder Cup.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Freidman mentioned all that stuff about Richardson/MacLean on HNIC this past Saturday. I was AT the game, and I still PVR'd it and watched it.

Quite interesting, and nice to know that Ottawa is taking a holistic approach to building a winning system...not that that was in doubt anyway.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting that CBC talked about us to that extent. I thought they'd spend most of their going on how truculent the Leafs are this year.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hoags wrote:Interesting that CBC talked about us to that extent. I thought they'd spend most of their going on how truculent the Leafs are this year.
Odldy enough, the Leafs have been doing this with the Marlies. Also why they wanted them in Toronto. If your farm club is closer, it's easier to bring guys up/down. The Marlies use the same systems as the Leafs. It makes sense as long as everyone is on the same page and sticks to the plan long term. Nice to see if paying off for the Sens.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, concussion for Malkin. At least they aren't dancing around it this time with "concussion like symptoms" or "whiplash" and what not...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/02/25/evgeni_malkin_concussion_injured_reserve_pittsburgh_penguins/

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:So, concussion for Malkin. At least they aren't dancing around it this time with "concussion like symptoms" or "whiplash" and what not...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/02/25/evgeni_malkin_concussion_injured_reserve_pittsburgh_penguins/
I watched the video, his head bounces off the boards like a ping pong ball. that can't feel good inside the noggin.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum