GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+14
Hobiesens
sandysensfan
dennycrane
spader
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
Ev
NEELY
Hoags
LeCaptain
wprager
shabbs
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 67]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NEELY wrote:Their best asset is probably Schneider at this point. Don't think they are sold on him being the guy at this point and they know what they have in Luongo. A lot easier to move one and is probably a lot more desirable.
Yeah, long term plans are all about Schneider for sure. Luongo playing hot now is a nice to have for them. Certainly helps in "show casing" him. I would not be surprised to see them hold onto him for the whole season.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:
NEELY wrote:Their best asset is probably Schneider at this point. Don't think they are sold on him being the guy at this point and they know what they have in Luongo. A lot easier to move one and is probably a lot more desirable.
Yeah, long term plans are all about Schneider for sure. Luongo playing hot now is a nice to have for them. Certainly helps in "show casing" him. I would not be surprised to see them hold onto him for the whole season.

I think Schneider is the one they move. I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:

I think Schneider is the one they move. I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

Is that even a possibility at this point though? Didn't Luongo request a trade? I would think that there is significant damage done to the relationship between Bobby Lu and the organization. Once a relationship reaches a certain point of degradation, a move is inevitable isn't it?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:

I clearly did... and certainly disagree. I guess it all depends on who's willing to do business with them and if they all want Schneider and not Luongo. We'll see. But I can't see Luongo there past this season. Crazier things have happened though...

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Wounds are healed pretty quick when you win, that's a fact of professional sports.

If they move Schneider I would say that basically solves every single problem in regards to goaltending questions wouldn't it? The answer is yes.

Who has more value in a trade? Schneider. Who is easier to move? Schneider. Who has a NTC? Luongo. Who is the #1 goalie in Van right now? Luongo.

All things considered, Schneider would be the piece that brings back the most in a trade and at this point it's hard to argue he is the better goaltender or will ever be as good as Luongo has been.

Winning cures all, simple as that.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Gotta be impressed with Boudreau in Anahiem as well. He has proven to be a very, very good NHL coach and perhaps the reason why Washington looked as good as they once did... sorry, that's an insult, he was the reason Washington was ever where they were.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Luongo has some serious issues when the chips are down, do they want that in vancouver?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Luongo has some serious issues when the chips are down, do they want that in vancouver?

I keep hearing this, but the guy was 1 game away from winning a cup and he was great the entire playoffs.
There was 1 "choke" I can remember in the past 3 years and that was against Chicago (best team of the past 5 years).

I think Vancouver, the media, and the fans just want to put the blame on someone because they don't wanna accept that Vancouver was always a top 5 team and never the N1.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:Luongo has some serious issues when the chips are down, do they want that in vancouver?

Chips may never be on the table if Schneider starts it seems.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well, if that's the case, I'd go with the Vezina nominee every time. I thought he had some issues under pressure, but now I can't really recall.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:Well, if that's the case, I'd go with the Vezina nominee every time. I thought he had some issues under pressure, but now I can't really recall.

I think Luongo is one of the most overrated goalies going or was a couple years back. Now it seems he is becoming criminally underrated. There is never any mid point with players it seems. From what I've seen and how my opinion has formed, he's a better goaltender than Schneider.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Well, if that's the case, I'd go with the Vezina nominee every time. I thought he had some issues under pressure, but now I can't really recall.

I think Luongo is one of the most overrated goalies going or was a couple years back. Now it seems he is becoming criminally underrated. There is never any mid point with players it seems. From what I've seen and how my opinion has formed, he's a better goaltender than Schneider.

I always thought Luongo was being beaten to death in the media and with fans, but that contract is an albatross. If he starts to decline - and he will soon enough - that'll be a waste of money, especially if he doesn't retire. Then you have Schneider come in and post stellar numbers last season and in the playoffs. It's a tough call, I revert back to the fact that Luongo has a Vezina nomination and has posted excellent and consistent numbers throughout his career.

Really an embarassment of riches for Vancouver...but if they make the wrong choice, they're stuck for a while.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I always thought Luongo was being beaten to death in the media and with fans, but that contract is an albatross. If he starts to decline - and he will soon enough - that'll be a waste of money, especially if he doesn't retire. Then you have Schneider come in and post stellar numbers last season and in the playoffs. It's a tough call, I revert back to the fact that Luongo has a Vezina nomination and has posted excellent and consistent numbers throughout his career.

Really an embarassment of riches for Vancouver...but if they make the wrong choice, they're stuck for a while.

Goalies play into their late 30's without issue, not buying that argument.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If Luongo is a better goalie than Schneider (which I am not disputing) then Vancouver is :rp: . Luongo does great in the regular season but cannot seem to get over the hump in the playoffs. Or maybe it's the rest of the team, who knows. While Schneider does not appear (yet) to be a true #1 -- plays excellently as a #2, though. So do they keep both -- Lou to get them there and then switch to Schneider? That would be almost unthinkable. Or trade Lou and get a 1B, then use a platoon system like Halak/Elliot. Or trade them both for picks, tank, get a high pick and retool.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:If Luongo is a better goalie than Schneider (which I am not disputing) then Vancouver is :rp: . Luongo does great in the regular season but cannot seem to get over the hump in the playoffs. Or maybe it's the rest of the team, who knows. While Schneider does not appear (yet) to be a true #1 -- plays excellently as a #2, though. So do they keep both -- Lou to get them there and then switch to Schneider? That would be almost unthinkable. Or trade Lou and get a 1B, then use a platoon system like Halak/Elliot. Or trade them both for picks, tank, get a high pick and retool.

Maybe they are damned if they do, damned if they don't but if the alternative is making the playoffs with a goalie that might crack under pressure vs a goalie that's not going to get you there it's a pretty easy choice. Maybe that's the choice it will come down to.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, but those aren't the only choices. I think unless someone knocks their socks off with an offer they'll keep both. Luongo is getting them points they'll need later *and* increasing his trade value.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:Yeah, but those aren't the only choices. I think unless someone knocks their socks off with an offer they'll keep both. Luongo is getting them points they'll need later *and* increasing his trade value.

They could very well keep both, wouldn't be the worst idea because right now Luongo is the #1 and Schneider as of yet has not proven he is a capable #1. Seems like they have the same situation as a lot of other teams in the NHL but the media will hype it up as some rift, etc, etc, etc.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SImple in Vancouver. The Sedins are 33 now which means they have approx. 2-3 years left of contention. From there you decide if Schneider has what it takes to get them there. No question in my mind Luongo is better now, but 3 years from now if he hasn't led them to the promised land, they will look back and regret not trading him today.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum