GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

No Tim Thomas at the white house for 4 more years!

+7
SeawaySensFan
Ev
tim1_2
spader
wprager
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

LeKid wrote:
wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Great to see Americans haven't lost their minds completely and have re-elected Obama!
Congrats to our neighbors to the south!

I don't think it's that great of an accomplishments. The very fact that those two were the only candidates should make our neighbours to the south feel a little ashamed.

There were 5 Candidates actually Smile

Yes, and the popular vote split was 50-50-0-0-0.

For all intents and purposes, there were two candidates. Were there any other even involved in the debates? I still have images in my brain of Ross Perrot trying to get his two cents in with his "Let me finish..."; they never did.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
LeKid wrote:
wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Great to see Americans haven't lost their minds completely and have re-elected Obama!

I don't think it's that great of an accomplishments. The very fact that those two were the only candidates should make our neighbours to the south feel a little ashamed.

For all intents and purposes, there were two candidates. Were there any other even involved in the debates? I still have images in my brain of Ross Perrot trying to get his two cents in with his "Let me finish..."; they never did.

Admiral Stockdale was funnier.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
LeKid wrote:
wprager wrote:

As long as corporations are financing the vast majority of the presidential campaigns, they will continue to have splits that. You can't have much success as an upstart or small party when you're competing against hundreds of millions of dollars. The system is built for two parties.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
LeKid wrote:
wprager wrote:

As long as corporations are financing the vast majority of the presidential campaigns, they will continue to have splits that. You can't have much success as an upstart or small party when you're competing against hundreds of millions of dollars. The system is built for two parties.

Billions. A truly sickening reality.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This is depressing. I should go back to the CBA board. Facepalm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

LeKid wrote:

Well, the fiscal cliff is coming January 1, and Obama is gonna make the rich suburbians pay more tax.
The USA are getting more and more diverse ethnic wise, I don't think we're getting another Bush anytime soon. 80,000 Latino Americans are turning 18 every year apparently. Advantage to the Democrats long term.
The only reason this election was even close (not close if we look at the electoral votes), is because people, mostly those who don't follow politics much, think that 1, someone can transform a country into a paradise in 4 years and 2, that an economic crisis rests on the shoulders of the President.
After that, you're either a Republican or a Democrat and you're gonna vote based on what values you cherish more, really. Personally I will never ever cheer for a Republican party. But that's just me and I respect a Republican's opinion as much.

Don't forget all the voter suppression tactics they tried like trying to pass mandatory IDs right before elections in some states and other crap.

I don't follow US politics much but the GOP seems like a bunch of nuts, two guys made totally inappropriate "rape" comments that cost them seats right before elections, Romney didn't even seem to have a play and just flip flopped and said whatever he thought he should say that would get him elected.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

America has chosen well. Romney would have Cussed that country up so bad.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:America has chosen well. Romney would have Cussed that country up so bad.

An astute businessman (unlike Barry) would have probably been better off to fix their economy.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:This is depressing. I should go back to the CBA board. Facepalm

Do you disagree that it's basically impossible for another major party to break out in the USA?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Big Ev wrote:
shabbs wrote:America has chosen well. Romney would have Cussed that country up so bad.

An astute businessman (unlike Barry) would have probably been better off to fix their economy.
Too bad there wasn't one running in either party...

Wink

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Couldn't have been worse than the last 12 years of American Idiots in the White House. Between Bush v2.0 and the Kenyan the U.S. is almost financially ruined, more divided than anytime since the 1860s and has completely lost any international respect it once had. Four more years of this might drag Canada into the toilet along with them.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:
LeKid wrote:

Well, the fiscal cliff is coming January 1, and Obama is gonna make the rich suburbians pay more tax.
The USA are getting more and more diverse ethnic wise, I don't think we're getting another Bush anytime soon. 80,000 Latino Americans are turning 18 every year apparently. Advantage to the Democrats long term.
The only reason this election was even close (not close if we look at the electoral votes), is because people, mostly those who don't follow politics much, think that 1, someone can transform a country into a paradise in 4 years and 2, that an economic crisis rests on the shoulders of the President.
After that, you're either a Republican or a Democrat and you're gonna vote based on what values you cherish more, really. Personally I will never ever cheer for a Republican party. But that's just me and I respect a Republican's opinion as much.

Don't forget all the voter suppression tactics they tried like trying to pass mandatory IDs right before elections in some states and other crap.

I don't follow US politics much but the GOP seems like a bunch of nuts, two guys made totally inappropriate "rape" comments that cost them seats right before elections, Romney didn't even seem to have a play and just flip flopped and said whatever he thought he should say that would get him elected.
The evangelical right has always been the nutty part of the GOP, but now you toss in the Tea Party movement and the party is a mess. I was hoping Romney might pull off the win, as he is pretty much a moderate in the party and that's where they need to get back to. The Democrats did a nice job of shutting the mouths of the Looney left during the last 18 months and they won the centre vote because of it.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:

Do you disagree that it's basically impossible for another major party to break out in the USA?

The system in the U.S. doesn't need a 3rd party. The one thing I like about their system is that every vote is a free vote. In our system the governing party needs to keep the confidence of the house, which means MPs are whipped to vote with the party or risk expulsion.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
Couldn't have been worse than the last 12 years of American Idiots in the White House. Between Bush v2.0 and the Kenyan the U.S. is almost financially ruined, more divided than anytime since the 1860s and has completely lost any international respect it once had. Four more years of this might drag Canada into the toilet along with them.

Weird. I didn't realize Honolulu was in Kenya. Also, yikes. Facepalm

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthers/birthcertificate.asp

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

Weird. I didn't realize Honolulu was in Kenya. Also, yikes. Facepalm

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthers/birthcertificate.asp

Yes, Ogelthorpe was obviously making a joke. How you didn't pick up on this is mystifying.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

The way I see it, the Republicans are in the same boat that faced the Mulrooney PC's. The party will fragment exactly the same way.

They'd be wise to take a note out of Harper's book to adapt to the populous. They need to take a few steps to the left to gain some of that fringe vote.

I won't lie. I had an exit strategy all mapped out if Romney got in. I am an immigrant to this country in their eyes after all - white skin or not. Romney would have probably rounded us up into death camps.

4 more years of Obama might actually cause the price of footlongs to go up to $6.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:

No, I do not disagree. The US Presidential Election has become a 2-party race for all intents and purposes. That wasn't really my point, but I do not disagree.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

Too bad there wasn't one running in either party...

Wink

Hey-o!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum