GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa @ NYI: 1PM, Monday February 20, 2012

+11
PTFlea
Ev
spader
Hobiesens
Riprock
shabbs
LethalLehner
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
SensHulk
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:I love that Matrix gets the no-no as well. What a game!
Heh heh. You can say it now that the game is over.

The One with The Shutout.

Beauty.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:That's twice, now, I've heard them call the Islanders owner Charles Wong. Potvin, sure, I understand, but this time it was Mendes. Maybe it's just a pronunciation thing, but "Wang" should not sound like "Wong."
Actually, it IS pronounced "WONG".

Then it should be spelled "WONG". I've definitely heard him called Wang before.
Then you have heard it wrong. Are you telling someone else how their name should be spelled so that it can be pronounced properly? Wow.

Well, yeah. You can spell it with an 'O' and pronounce it that way, or spell it with an 'A' and pronounce it another way. It's not rocket science. I'm not telling him how to spell his name in Chinese for crying out loud.
Facepalm
Facepalm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:That's twice, now, I've heard them call the Islanders owner Charles Wong. Potvin, sure, I understand, but this time it was Mendes. Maybe it's just a pronunciation thing, but "Wang" should not sound like "Wong."

How should Borowiecki spell his name, then? We should let him know that you don't appreciate when people from other places than Canada come here and obnoxiously spell their names in ways that aren't in line with English pronunciations. Sarcasm

Big difference. The English and Chinese alphabets have no similarities. Borowiecki is a name of Czech origin (judging from the pronunciation of 'cki' as 'tski'). The Czech language uses the same letters in its alphabet as English (except for the diacritics). Other Eastern European languages may use the Cyrillic alphabet (or a variation on this), but even there most of the letters have direct correlation to English.

For example, in my case, I spelled my name by simply replacing the letters. As a result, most people will pronounce it either as "Pray-gher" or "Pray-jer", or will assume it's French and pronounce it as "Prah-je". I'm alright with that because that is how I chose (well, how my parents chose) to spell it. If we wanted a better approximation to the original pronunciation we could have spelled it "Pragher" or something like that. I still remember an article for a French magazine, where my father's name was spelled "Praguer" because they wanted the pronunciation to be close to the original.

Wong chose to spell his name Wang. Probably did not realize the difference in pronunciation at the time. Whether he knew it or not, he made a mistake.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Prager - Google Pinyin. Wang did not choose the spelling. It's a direct translation.

Please. Stop now.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

That's gotta be the dumbest thing you've said around here. Hope up were joking, it's always been pronounced 'wong'. If it's 'wang' then the person wasn't pronouncing it properly.

No, I wasn't joking, and I have heard it pronounced as it is spelled in the past. Many times.

In my life I've heard both Wang and Wong many times. I assumed they were different (but both common) names. Looking at Wikipedia, you see separate listings for Wang and Wong, although they do mention that the name Wang can be romanized as Wong, especially for people from Hong Kong (I believe this is where Wang is from).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Prager - Google Pinyin. Wang did not choose the spelling. It's a direct translation.

Please. Stop now.

Why? I'm getting educated here. Never knew about pinyin, and now that I googled it I've also learned about other methods.

However Wang moved to the U.S. in 1952, and pinyin was formalized in 1958, and not adopted by the ISO until 1982. The direct translation could be "King" (if you assume his name was originally 王) or "Yellow" (if you assume it was 黃). Pinyin transcribes or romanizes, but definitely does not translate.

But I will say again -- I have encountered both Wang and Wong -- many times each, and heard it pronounced differently. It's possible that both are romanizations of the same name, although it's more likely that both Wang and Wong are romanizations of at least two Chinese names (the "Yellow" one is also sometimes romanized as "Huang").

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Anderson tweet: Rewarded with a shut out for our efforts! #Karlsson with a big 4 point game. #beastmode. Best thing: suns out when we leave the rink.

Love it.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

stupid game way to early miss a 6-0 shutout.... Grumbling

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:stupid game way to early miss a 6-0 shutout.... Grumbling

hehe it was perfect for family day! A day off from work and I get to watch the sens demolish the isles in style. Munch

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Anderson tweet: Rewarded with a shut out for our efforts! #Karlsson with a big 4 point game. #beastmode. Best thing: suns out when we leave the rink.

Love it.

Nothing wong with that.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#beastmode for sure.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Anyone miss Konopka and Carkner? Yeah, thought not. Later cementheads!

EDIT: NOT COWEN!!!!!! lol

Last edited by Big Ev on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

KidKarlsson

KidKarlsson
Rookie
Rookie

Big Ev wrote:Anyone miss Konopka and Cowen? Yeah, thought not. Later cementheads!

Cowen?? I hope you mean Carkner because Cowen played and yes I would miss him if he didnt!

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:Anyone miss Konopka and Cowen? Yeah, thought not. Later cementheads!

Don't you dare make that mistake again Dammit!

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

Cowen , a cementhead? I'll assume you meant Carkner...

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sorry haha. fixed

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I could still see Carkner being good again though.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:I could still see Carkner being good again though.

What do you mean "again"?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum