GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa @ NYI: 1PM, Monday February 20, 2012

+11
PTFlea
Ev
spader
Hobiesens
Riprock
shabbs
LethalLehner
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
SensHulk
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:That's twice, now, I've heard them call the Islanders owner Charles Wong. Potvin, sure, I understand, but this time it was Mendes. Maybe it's just a pronunciation thing, but "Wang" should not sound like "Wong."
Actually, it IS pronounced "WONG".

Then it should be spelled "WONG". I've definitely heard him called Wang before.

That's gotta be the dumbest thing you've said around here. Hope up were joking, it's always been pronounced 'wong'. If it's 'wang' then the person wasn't pronouncing it properly.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Geez, that Parenteau seems like a hothead.

Because he just got a game misconduct for verbally abusing the officials, or for refusing to spell his name "Parent-Oh"?
GAME DAY: Ottawa @ NYI: 1PM, Monday February 20, 2012 - Page 4 164414

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Geez, that Parenteau seems like a hothead.

Because he just got a game misconduct for verbally abusing the officials, or for refusing to spell his name "Parent-Oh"?

He got a 10 earlier too. What a firecracker. Laugh1

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

It's officially a blowout. 6-0.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Laser beam from Spezza, another point for Karlsson.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

"A water-bottle-popper from Jason Spezza"

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Holy Dung what a shot spezza

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That was a ripper.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Also awesome to see lee score a goal. What a difference he's made.

Sens have exploded for 16 goals on this road trip

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I love that Matrix gets the no-no as well. What a game!

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hahahaha Potvin randomly saying "there's Charles Wang, Chinese...."

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Great game by gonchar as well....though he is now getting outscored by phillips

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:That's twice, now, I've heard them call the Islanders owner Charles Wong. Potvin, sure, I understand, but this time it was Mendes. Maybe it's just a pronunciation thing, but "Wang" should not sound like "Wong."

Then you have heard it wrong. Are you telling someone else how their name should be spelled so that it can be pronounced properly? Wow.

Well, yeah. You can spell it with an 'O' and pronounce it that way, or spell it with an 'A' and pronounce it another way. It's not rocket science. I'm not telling him how to spell his name in Chinese for crying out loud.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Then you have heard it wrong. Are you telling someone else how their name should be spelled so that it can be pronounced properly? Wow.

Well, yeah. You can spell it with an 'O' and pronounce it that way, or spell it with an 'A' and pronounce it another way. It's not rocket science. I'm not telling him how to spell his name in Chinese for crying out loud.
Facepalm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I loved everything about that game!!! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:I love that Matrix gets the no-no as well. What a game!
Heh heh. You can say it now that the game is over.

The One with The Shutout.

Beauty.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Facepalm
Facepalm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

How should Borowiecki spell his name, then? We should let him know that you don't appreciate when people from other places than Canada come here and obnoxiously spell their names in ways that aren't in line with English pronunciations. Sarcasm

Big difference. The English and Chinese alphabets have no similarities. Borowiecki is a name of Czech origin (judging from the pronunciation of 'cki' as 'tski'). The Czech language uses the same letters in its alphabet as English (except for the diacritics). Other Eastern European languages may use the Cyrillic alphabet (or a variation on this), but even there most of the letters have direct correlation to English.

For example, in my case, I spelled my name by simply replacing the letters. As a result, most people will pronounce it either as "Pray-gher" or "Pray-jer", or will assume it's French and pronounce it as "Prah-je". I'm alright with that because that is how I chose (well, how my parents chose) to spell it. If we wanted a better approximation to the original pronunciation we could have spelled it "Pragher" or something like that. I still remember an article for a French magazine, where my father's name was spelled "Praguer" because they wanted the pronunciation to be close to the original.

Wong chose to spell his name Wang. Probably did not realize the difference in pronunciation at the time. Whether he knew it or not, he made a mistake.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum