GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa @ NYI: 1PM, Monday February 20, 2012

+11
PTFlea
Ev
spader
Hobiesens
Riprock
shabbs
LethalLehner
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
SensHulk
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:That's twice, now, I've heard them call the Islanders owner Charles Wong. Potvin, sure, I understand, but this time it was Mendes. Maybe it's just a pronunciation thing, but "Wang" should not sound like "Wong."
Actually, it IS pronounced "WONG".

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:That's twice, now, I've heard them call the Islanders owner Charles Wong. Potvin, sure, I understand, but this time it was Mendes. Maybe it's just a pronunciation thing, but "Wang" should not sound like "Wong."

Then it should be spelled "WONG". I've definitely heard him called Wang before.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Then you have heard it wrong. Are you telling someone else how their name should be spelled so that it can be pronounced properly? Wow.

Last edited by shabbs on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I've heard it pronounced "Wong" when mentioning the Islanders owner lots of times by different people.

Must be an attempt to avoid using a name synonymous with "willy" or "sausage."

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Charles Wang (pronounced Wong), was born August 19th 1944 in Shanghai, China. His father Kenneth, was a judge on China’s highest court, and mother Mary immigrated to Queens, N.Y. in 1952, after the Communist Party seized power in China.

http://www.topbusinessentrepreneurs.com/charles-wang.html

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

How should Borowiecki spell his name, then? We should let him know that you don't appreciate when people from other places than Canada come here and obnoxiously spell their names in ways that aren't in line with English pronunciations. Sarcasm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Charles Wang (pronounced Wong), was born August 19th 1944 in Shanghai, China. His father Kenneth, was a judge on China’s highest court, and mother Mary immigrated to Queens, N.Y. in 1952, after the Communist Party seized power in China.

http://www.topbusinessentrepreneurs.com/charles-wang.html
Man. He should really change his name so that North Americans can pronounce it properly.

Wink

Sarcasm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Then you have heard it wrong. Are you telling someone else how their name should be spelled so that it can be pronounced properly? Wow.

If you're asking, you must be new here. Laugh1

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

If you're asking, you must be new here. Laugh1
Laughing3

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Geez, that Parenteau seems like a hothead.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Lee scores! Good for him. He's been having a good game.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

5-0 now, 4 of the Sens 5 goals scored by defenceman (3 different ones).

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Geez, that Parenteau seems like a hothead.

Because he just got a game misconduct for verbally abusing the officials, or for refusing to spell his name "Parent-Oh"?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Beauty. C'mon Karlsson...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I was going to say just before the Sens scored that I know they are winning (at the time) 4-0, but they ought to keep playing. They were being outplayed by the Isles, and I knew that it wouldn't take much for them to score again, and they did. But for a team that hasn't played in 3 dys they really should be able to play 60 minutes.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

That's gotta be the dumbest thing you've said around here. Hope up were joking, it's always been pronounced 'wong'. If it's 'wang' then the person wasn't pronouncing it properly.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:

Because he just got a game misconduct for verbally abusing the officials, or for refusing to spell his name "Parent-Oh"?
GAME DAY: Ottawa @ NYI: 1PM, Monday February 20, 2012 - Page 3 164414

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:

He got a 10 earlier too. What a firecracker. Laugh1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum