GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Sens @ Sharks, Thursday, January 19, 2012 @ 10:30PM

+15
Ev
alfieisourking
spader
NEELY
wprager
Hoags
KidKarlsson
PTFlea
TheAvatar
rooneypoo
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
shabbs
Riprock
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Who's coming out? That's friggin cool beans man!

Yeah Carkner is out.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Yeah Carkner is out.

Interesting.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Only about 6 hours from puck drop! Don't blink.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Yeah Carkner is out.

I feel a little badly for him. He's got to get his Dung together, but I'm very pleased for BoroCop.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Makes his NHL debut by playing his off-side. That'll be fun.

Carkner is in a similar position to Kuba last year, missed camp and part of the season and is now way behind.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Makes his NHL debut by playing his off-side. That'll be fun.

Carkner is in a similar position to Kuba last year, missed camp and part of the season and is now way behind.

Is there any way we can just forfeit the game then?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

In a situation like this, they'll probably just play Karlsson & Gonchar more, and have the other four guys partner up with them on a rotating basis. That's what they did when Kuba and then Phillips missed games -- more TOI to Cowen, with Cowen skating with Karlsson most of the time but also Lee/Carkner.

I think I remember SpezD saying, via Joy, that Boro plays both sides of the ice in Bingo, too.

Again, short term, no biggie.

Anyway, it will be good to get a look at him at this level!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:

In a situation like this, they'll probably just play Karlsson & Gonchar more, and have the other four guys partner up with them on a rotating basis. That's what they did when Kuba and then Phillips missed games -- more TOI to Cowen, with Cowen skating with Karlsson most of the time but also Lee/Carkner.

I think I remember SpezD saying, via Joy, that Boro plays both sides of the ice in Bingo, too.

Impossible.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Impossible.

No, just rare.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would guess Phillips will play the right side tonight. Even though Joy said that he was quite adept at playing the right side - because, as she said, they had to double shift Gryba and Boro for full games due to their porous D, I still think it's enough to make your NHL debut on D without playing your off side.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I would guess Phillips will play the right side tonight. Even though Joy said that he was quite adept at playing the right side - because, as she said, they had to double shift Gryba and Boro for full games due to their porous D, I still think it's enough to make your NHL debut on D without playing your off side.

Again, watch for more ice time to Karlsson & Gonchar (say, 25+ mins a piece), and for them to rotate partners in & out with them, with a few odd lefty-lefty shifts here & there (5-on-5 & PK). There probably won't be a steady lefty-lefty pair that plays regular shifts for, say, anything like 15 minutes this game, I'd say.

This is exactly how they handled things with Kuba out -- Cowen's ice time went way up, and that's because he was taking shifts with both Karlsson & Lee/Carkner.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Always exciting to see a kid make his debut. Amazing scouting finding a guy out of tier II jr A in Ottawa. This is the guy that will eventually fill Phillips role 3 or 4 years down the line.

I think it might be safe to say Carkner will be on his last legs in Ottawa this year. Guys below him have more upside and are very close to being NHL ready.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Always exciting to see a kid make his debut. Amazing scouting finding a guy out of tier II jr A in Ottawa. This is the guy that will eventually fill Phillips role 3 or 4 years down the line.

I think it might be safe to say Carkner will be on his last legs in Ottawa this year. Guys below him have more upside and are very close to being NHL ready.

You might be right. He did a great job of playing himself onto the team, but he may well be done here after this year. I hope he finds a place to play.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I would guess Phillips will play the right side tonight. Even though Joy said that he was quite adept at playing the right side - because, as she said, they had to double shift Gryba and Boro for full games due to their porous D, I still think it's enough to make your NHL debut on D without playing your off side.

Again, watch for more ice time to Karlsson & Gonchar (say, 25+ mins a piece), and for them to rotate partners in & out with them, with a few odd lefty-lefty shifts here & there (5-on-5 & PK). There probably won't be a steady lefty-lefty pair that plays regular shifts for, say, anything like 15 minutes this game, I'd say.

This is exactly how they handled things with Kuba out -- Cowen's ice time went way up, and that's because he was taking shifts with both Karlsson & Lee/Carkner.

True, this might be Karlsson's 27-30 minute game.

EDIT: True, you could easily split the time up with Gonchar as well.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Always exciting to see a kid make his debut. Amazing scouting finding a guy out of tier II jr A in Ottawa. This is the guy that will eventually fill Phillips role 3 or 4 years down the line.

You might be right. We shouldn't be too quick in jettisoning him though IMO, even with Gryba appearing ready. I'd keep him over Lee at this point because we've all seen what he can do when he's healthy, he's still real rusty from missing so much time.

alfieisourking

alfieisourking
Prospect
Prospect

I'm wicked excited BoroCop's in. I saw him at the open practice back in October and I was impressed with him.

We broke our losing streak against the Flames this year and Clowe's out tonight for the Sharks. I think we can take them.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:

You might be right. We shouldn't be too quick in jettisoning him though IMO, even with Gryba appearing ready. I'd keep him over Lee at this point because we've all seen what he can do when he's healthy, he's still real rusty from missing so much time.

He owes a lot to the Sens and no, I wouldn't send him packing either but fact of the matter is he really doesn't fit into the core of the cuurent Sens. With all the heavy weights being pushed out of the NHL his value to the Sens drops. He's a perfect guy to have there if there are other heavy wieghts around and play a good 10-12 mins of hockey, but there are guys like Borowiecki and Gryba that can play the game at a higher level without having to deal with heavyweights (because they are the thing of the past).

Carkner will find his way to another NHL city that is looking for a little depth because he's an NHL player. That said, Ottawa is heading in direction that doesn't include Carkner and probably not Lee either.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

YEEEEEEEAH SIT DOWN CARKNER!!!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum