GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eric Karlsson Contract Talk

+13
SensHulk
stempniaksen
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
spader
PTFlea
dennycrane
wprager
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
BigRig
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:48 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

So now that the words "Norris Contention" are being floated by the media, what should Murray do? Get it done soon and lock him in before the awards actually roll in? Wait and see how the year finishes? What we don't want under any circumstances is an offer sheet or a situation like Doughty vs LA where nobody wins when a player holds out....and then sucks....

A few months ago, people in here were in agreement that a 7 yr/ 5.5 cap hit would do it but is that still realistic? Probably not...

Will too much money put too much pressure on him and make him a fan target for when things aren't going well? Thoughts?

2Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:50 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I would guess he gets a 7-8 year deal worth about 40-45 mil.

3Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:03 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Everybody's been worrying about Karlsson's contract basically since he played his first game so the expectations are inflated in terms of what he'll get because of the sustained panic. 5.5 is plenty.

4Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:10 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He'll get more than $5.5M. I don't think it makes a lick of difference when they negotiate, because you can believe his agent has been saving all the clippings. No-one is going to think they can get away with lowballing him now because the Norris talk hasn't hit fever pitch.

If anything, he's bound to cool off a bit over 82 games, and they are not expected to do well in the playoffs -- so maybe wait until the summer, so Erik is not feeling like he's on top of the world, and should be paid as such.

Yeah, that suggestion is probably as ridiculous as saying sign him now to pay him less. The only fear would be an offer sheet, but it would have to be north of $7M for the Sens not to match (if even then), and who can afford that?

5Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

He will get more than Myers (5.6 or so per year). I expect a deal b/w 6-6.5 over a 6 or 7 year span.

6Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

10 years, 63 million is my guess.

7Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:46 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

dennycrane wrote:He will get more than Myers (5.6 or so per year). I expect a deal b/w 6-6.5 over a 6 or 7 year span.

I would hope for that but what you don't want is Cap Space being an issue when Cowen, Z-Bad and all the other prospects start needing contracts at the same time...never want to have another "Redden Vs Chara" decision ever again....

8Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:48 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:10 years, 63 million is my guess.

10 years is too long at this point. 1 concussion/ripped knee/broken back and we're waaay too screwed. 6 or 7 years tops as his body may not last

9Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

BigRig wrote:

10 years is too long at this point. 1 concussion/ripped knee/broken back and we're waaay too screwed. 6 or 7 years tops as his body may not last

That's a risk you take with THE franchise player IMO.

10Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:57 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

dennycrane wrote:He will get more than Myers (5.6 or so per year). I expect a deal b/w 6-6.5 over a 6 or 7 year span.
I could get behind that. Best OD in the league for $6.3M/year? Done.

11Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He needs to hit the weights and bulk up before I'm ready to say he's NHL ready.

12Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:04 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:He needs to hit the weights and bulk up before I'm ready to say he's NHL ready.

That's my favorite line for players like Karlsson. That and he doesn't know how to play without the puck in his own end because he isn't 225lbs.

People are so stupid.

13Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:08 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Hopefully EK isn't just on a tear because it's a contract year, maybe next year he'll decline like Doughty(hope not).

14Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:16 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He'll want $65 to match his jersey number, so add a team option 11th year at $2M Sarcasm

15Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Empty Re: Eric Karlsson Contract Talk Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:16 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:Hopefully EK isn't just on a tear because it's a contract year, maybe next year he'll decline like Doughty(hope not).

Unless he skips camp and puts on 15-20lbs of fat, it won't happen.

Doughty also made his money based on the Olympics, not NHL hockey.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum