GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big Karlsson Article

+9
LethalLehner
Acrobat
Hockeyhero22000
PKC
rooneypoo
wprager
asq2
SensFan71
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Big Karlsson Article Empty Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:37 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=sv&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhockeysverige.se%2Fnews_show_erik-karlssons-nya-viktklass.html%3Fid%3D8513433&sl=sv&tl=en&history_state0=

2Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:45 am

6 kgs of muscle is significant no doubt. I still don't want to rush him though. If he comes in and wows everyone at camp, I might feel better about him being in Ottawa next season.

I just can't bear the thought of bring him over here to barely make an impact at the cost of an ELC year.

3Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:49 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Karlsson is ready to make a huge impact no matter where he plays, if it's not the big club, which is better for him, the B Sens or back to the Swedish Elite league?

4Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:56 am

SensFan71 wrote:Karlsson is ready to make a huge impact no matter where he plays, if it's not the big club, which is better for him, the B Sens or back to the Swedish Elite league?

I'd prefer Bingo, so he can get more comfortable with the smaller rinks and the North American style, but it sounds like Frolunda is his first choice if he doesn't make the Sens out of camp. Of course going back to the SEL won't hurt either, but I'd still rather see him in Bingo.

5Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:35 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

So by my calculations he's at 172lbs right now, which, but still pretty far from where we'd like him to be (and where he'll end up) IMO.

Hypothetically, if he could maintain this rate of growth, he could come in at around 185lbs the season after this one. That's much closer to NHL weight.

6Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:50 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Even with 6 kg more, he's tipping the scales at around 172 lbs. Let's say 175 when camp is over. Campoli is 190, everyone else is over 200. Outside of the Habs top line, you're not going to find too many forwards that small in the East.

I was really hoping he'd be 180+ by now. He'll need to be paired up with someone big but quick. Who do we have like that? Is Kuba quick like that? Picard might be, but would you really play Picar/Karlsson as a pairing?

7Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:54 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Campoli is 200 pounds. I'm almost positive, I've read it before numerous times. I recall thinking that he wasn't quite as small as I had thought.

8Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:03 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

13+ pounds of muscle is still a HUGE gain for this guy, considering his starting weight of 160 pounds or whatever. Not saying he's in the Sens lineup for sure this year -- I personally don't see how we can do it, given all our surplus D and our cap issues -- but he's on the right track to getting there before long now.

9Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

For the record, there isn't one magazine that I've read so far this year that thinks Karlsson will be with Frolunda or the B-Sens. The Hockey News, the Score, everyone has him as a rookie defender on Ottawa's blueline - and as a Calder Candidate, so he's made some impressions to be sure.

10Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:55 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

You guys confuse weight with strength. Just because he's weighing in at 172 pounds doesn't mean he's going to get thrown around like a little girl.

For example, I saw this tiny Asian guy at the gym the other day, must have been about 5'7" and about 180 pounds benching 405 pounds without a spotter.

From everything I know about Karlsson, he's going to probably be our best skater in camp, in terms of strength on skates, stride and technique. The guy will be able to handle himself at any weight, I'm sure of it. Most people incorrectly assume that weight and strength are directly related.

11Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:19 pm

PKC wrote:You guys confuse weight with strength. Just because he's weighing in at 172 pounds doesn't mean he's going to get thrown around like a little girl.

For example, I saw this tiny Asian guy at the gym the other day, must have been about 5'7" and about 180 pounds benching 405 pounds without a spotter.

From everything I know about Karlsson, he's going to probably be our best skater in camp, in terms of strength on skates, stride and technique. The guy will be able to handle himself at any weight, I'm sure of it. Most people incorrectly assume that weight and strength are directly related.

On defence, you mean or overall? I think Fisher's got him beat otherwise.

12Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:52 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

PKC is right weight does not equal strength but muscle mass does weight more then lean mass and fat mass truth is though that being 172lbs at 5'7" might be his ideal weight and if he gains more he may have a loss of using his skillset properly

13Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

The flip side is that it is far more likely to be a powerhouse if you are 5'11" and 200 lbs, rather than 5'11" and 165.

I'm all for him taking another year, if that's what he needs. As a fan, I don't mind waiting. Heater has already f'ed us for this year.

14Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

After seeing him at training camp, I can't see how he won't make the team. With the whole Heatley fiasco, the Sens need to provide a ray of hope to the Sens fans. They will use both Kovalev and Karlsson to divert the attention away from Heatley and give the fans something to cheer for.

15Big Karlsson Article Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:48 am

At 5'11'' Karlsson's basic ideal weight is around 180. I know that doesn't equate with his ideal NHL weight, but as noted above, weight doesn't preclude strength.

Bruce Lee was 135 pounds for Diddle sake Ahhhhh!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum