GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big Karlsson Article

+9
LethalLehner
Acrobat
Hockeyhero22000
PKC
rooneypoo
wprager
asq2
SensFan71
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Acrobat

Veteran
Veteran

The flip side is that it is far more likely to be a powerhouse if you are 5'11" and 200 lbs, rather than 5'11" and 165.

I'm all for him taking another year, if that's what he needs. As a fan, I don't mind waiting. Heater has already f'ed us for this year.

17Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 pm

LethalLehner

Sophomore
Sophomore

After seeing him at training camp, I can't see how he won't make the team. With the whole Heatley fiasco, the Sens need to provide a ray of hope to the Sens fans. They will use both Kovalev and Karlsson to divert the attention away from Heatley and give the fans something to cheer for.

18Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:48 am

At 5'11'' Karlsson's basic ideal weight is around 180. I know that doesn't equate with his ideal NHL weight, but as noted above, weight doesn't preclude strength.

Bruce Lee was 135 pounds for Diddle sake Ahhhhh!

19Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:16 am

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

cas wrote:At 5'11'' Karlsson's basic ideal weight is around 180. I know that doesn't equate with his ideal NHL weight, but as noted above, weight doesn't preclude strength.

the 180 is a generalization but each individual is different so him at 172 right now could be perfect

20Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:41 am

My point exactly Smile All he needs to do is Scott Niedermayer his way around the ice and he'll be just fine.

21Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:21 am

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:
cas wrote:At 5'11'' Karlsson's basic ideal weight is around 180. I know that doesn't equate with his ideal NHL weight, but as noted above, weight doesn't preclude strength.

the 180 is a generalization but each individual is different so him at 172 right now could be perfect

A good example would be Rafalski. Listed as 5'10", 191Lbs. Karlsson was projected as being a Rafalski "type" player when he was drafted. Here's hoping.

22Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:36 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Snuh wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:

A good example would be Rafalski. Listed as 5'10", 191Lbs. Karlsson was projected as being a Rafalski "type" player when he was drafted. Here's hoping.

I'd ultimately prefer, if possible, an Andrei Markov-like 6'0" (realistically 5'11", which is Karlsson's height), 204 lbs body.

It's not that he'd be ineffective at 190lbs (or, to a lesser extent, 172 lbs), but he's got a lot of potential to be a physical force as well.

23Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:37 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

cas wrote:My point exactly Smile All he needs to do is Scott Niedermayer his way around the ice and he'll be just fine.

He's got a ways to go before he can do that IMO. He's a strong, fluid skater, but not at Niedermayer's speed (yet).

24Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:16 pm

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

asq2 wrote:
cas wrote:My point exactly Smile All he needs to do is Scott Niedermayer his way around the ice and he'll be just fine.

He's got a ways to go before he can do that IMO. He's a strong, fluid skater, but not at Niedermayer's speed (yet).

I agree that he has a ways to go. It will be a big change playing in the NHL and I expect him to make the team and be brought along slowly.

But who was not surprised with his play at the World Juniors last year? I expected to see this tiny guy with great skills. He had the great skills but he did not play small. He was the outstanding defenceman at the tournament.

25Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:21 pm

jawal wrote:
asq2 wrote:

I agree that he has a ways to go. It will be a big change playing in the NHL and I expect him to make the team and be brought along slowly.

But who was not surprised with his play at the World Juniors last year? I expected to see this tiny guy with great skills. He had the great skills but he did not play small. He was the outstanding defenceman at the tournament.

Agreed. For me, it's not that I don't think he could play in the NHL next season, it's that I wonder what sort of impact he'll have. If it's minimal, let him play another year in the SEL, where he is comfortable, and then let him come in to Ottawa the following year with more experience and confidence. If he's going to play a minimal role, I think it hurts his development, not to mention we lose one of 3 insanely cheap contract years.

26Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:29 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Even with 6 kg more, he's tipping the scales at around 172 lbs. Let's say 175 when camp is over. Campoli is 190, everyone else is over 200. Outside of the Habs top line, you're not going to find too many forwards that small in the East.

I was really hoping he'd be 180+ by now. He'll need to be paired up with someone big but quick. Who do we have like that? Is Kuba quick like that? Picard might be, but would you really play Picar/Karlsson as a pairing?

Phillips is quick (and left-handed). I don't see them making that a pairing, but it's a possibility.

Anyway, IMO Karlsson should have to earn a spot on his own, both offensively (which wouldn't have been a problem for him at 16 with our roster) and defensively. I don't want to see him get forced onto the roster and then have us dramatically alter our pairings just to shelter him.

If he's not ready, let him develop outside of the NHL more.

27Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:40 pm

asq2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Even with 6 kg more, he's tipping the scales at around 172 lbs. Let's say 175 when camp is over. Campoli is 190, everyone else is over 200. Outside of the Habs top line, you're not going to find too many forwards that small in the East.

I was really hoping he'd be 180+ by now. He'll need to be paired up with someone big but quick. Who do we have like that? Is Kuba quick like that? Picard might be, but would you really play Picar/Karlsson as a pairing?

Phillips is quick (and left-handed). I don't see them making that a pairing, but it's a possibility.

Anyway, IMO Karlsson should have to earn a spot on his own, both offensively (which wouldn't have been a problem for him at 16 with our roster) and defensively. I don't want to see him get forced onto the roster and then have us dramatically alter our pairings just to shelter him.

If he's not ready, let him develop outside of the NHL more.

I'd prefer Bingo, but he's on record as saying he would like to return to the SEL.

28Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:40 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

The only issue I have with letting him go to Bingo/SWE if he's cpaable of playing in the NHL is, if both Karlsson and Cowen are ready next year, they would be both rookies, and I don't really like the idea of having 2 rookies on the bluline.

29Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:45 pm

marakh wrote:The only issue I have with letting him go to Bingo/SWE if he's cpaable of playing in the NHL is, if both Karlsson and Cowen are ready next year, they would be both rookies, and I don't really like the idea of having 2 rookies on the bluline.

It's been done before. I wouldn't pair them together, at least not right away. There's something to be said though for staggering their entry into the NHL, contractual reasons being another reason why.

30Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:53 pm

I'd prefer Ottawa or SEL, I don't want him burning an ELC year in Bingo, and I want the big 3 D prospects to be staggered by a year.

31Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:57 pm

RobbyJ wrote:I'd prefer Ottawa or SEL, I don't want him burning an ELC year in Bingo, and I want the big 3 D prospects to be staggered by a year.

I don't want to burn an ELC year either, but if you want to stagger them, you almost have to have Karlsson playing in NA this year.

Cowen will likely be ready the year after next and Wiercioch almost certainly the year after.

32Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:59 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:The only issue I have with letting him go to Bingo/SWE if he's cpaable of playing in the NHL is, if both Karlsson and Cowen are ready next year, they would be both rookies, and I don't really like the idea of having 2 rookies on the bluline.

I don't think it should be too much of a problem. Assuming a full recovery from his injury, by the time the 2010-2011 season rolls around, Cowen should be at or above the calibre that Luke Schenn was this past season. I doubt he'll have a hard time adjusting - It should just be his offence that'll take a while.

I can't imagine a 6'5", 235 lbs defenceman at that speed with that level of defensive intelligence should look like a rookie for a prolonged period of time.

Anyway, arguably the best team the Sens have assembled in the modern era featured rookies in Eaves, Kelly, McGrattan and Bochenski up front, Meszaros and Schubert on defence and Emery in goal.

33Big Karlsson Article - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Karlsson Article Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:00 pm

That's why I'll take Karlsson this year.

Phillips - Kuba
Volchenkov - Campoli
Lee - Karlsson
Picard/Schubert/Smith

That scares me a little.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum