GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW SCOREBOARD GDT: Montreal @ Ottawa , 7:30PM, Tuesday, December 27, 2011

+11
LeCaptain
PTFlea
Hoags
Jordo
LethalLehner
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Hobiesens
wprager
tim1_2
Cap'n Clutch
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
PS - is it because his wife gave birth this summer? Perhaps he didn't have as much time to put in the training, perhaps it messed with him mentally. I dunno, kinda grasping at straws at this point.

He was doing auto racing this summer and I remember one line from the article on the Sens website how he had to "unlearn" his fast reflexes in order to be able to race effectively. I guess he didn't learn them back ? Laugh1

He's not the same goalie as last year, he plays deep in his net, rarely challenges shooters, hasn't made those great desperation saves he was known for and I haven't seen him communicating with the defense as he did last year. All the things that impressed me last year are largely absent. It must be a confidence/motivation thing, he's not "in it".

Our defense is pretty bad as well, so it's not like our goalies get a lot of help.

Our D isn't great, but it's certainly improving, where Anderson is not. Hopefully he can put it back together, because we obviously need him.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:Can someone fashion a reasonable argument as to why Bobby Butler is in the lineup?

I can't for the life of me wonder how this team could think so highly of Butler and essentially send Filatov away to keep Butler. And don't give me any Dung about one way contracts please. That's a joke argument. If this team is serious about winning, then eating a one way deal is sometimes necessary.
Probably because Butler didn't ask to go to Russia after being sent to Bingo.

NEELY wrote:
hemlock wrote:Can someone fashion a reasonable argument as to why Bobby Butler is in the lineup?

I can't for the life of me wonder how this team could think so highly of Butler and essentially send Filatov away to keep Butler. And don't give me any Dung about one way contracts please. That's a joke argument. If this team is serious about winning, then eating a one way deal is sometimes necessary.

Butler gets scoring chances and has done something (little as it is) offensivly. He's hit a ton of posts this year and all in all, was a lot more effective on the 4th line than Filatov. Not saying Butler shouldn't be a healthy scratch when the team is totally healthy but Filatov dumped the puck into the corner the first game of the year and Spezza and Michalek went to work... that was the highlight of his year.

Filatov was probably a bad example. How about Da Costa then? I'm just tired of seeing the free ride Butler gets. I want to believe it's a sophomore jinx, but man, he's got to work harder. That Cammallerri goal last night he coasted back and watched as Cammalleri banged in a rebound literally untouched. He's got to give more of a damn. Is he this years Regin?

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:You've made an argument of Butler over Filatov, but not Butler in the lineup. Konopka has more goals, wins faceoffs and fights, yet he's been out of the lineup for Butler on a few occasions.

All that said, Butler had 5 shots on goal last night. I know, that's not telling the whole story, but I only got to watch the start of the second before I turned it off in disgust. Also, Phillips was the only scratch last night. Regin and Winchester are both on the IR. I suppose if Phillips played they could have put Lee or Carkner in as a forward and sat Butler, but fact of the matter is they had no one else without calling someone up.

MacLean says that Butler works hard... which implies that Filatov didn't (as much at least anyway).

Well, we all know Filatov never endeared himself to the coaching staff. So by comparison, Butler looks better by comparison. Bottom line, Butler hasn't been what he advertised last year, and looks way too comfortable with his 900k one way deal right now.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:

Filatov was probably a bad example. How about Da Costa then? I'm just tired of seeing the free ride Butler gets. I want to believe it's a sophomore jinx, but man, he's got to work harder. That Cammallerri goal last night he coasted back and watched as Cammalleri banged in a rebound literally untouched. He's got to give more of a damn. Is he this years Regin?

I believe Montreal got them at the end of a shift, at least that's what they said on the broadcast.

I don't think he's getting a free ride, due to injuries he has another chance. When Winchester is back he's a scratch.

It's a sophomore jinx, he had a real good year in the AHL and NHL last year, thought he made the big time and forgot how much work he put in to get there. Wasn't ready for camp and MacLean skated their asses off. He pulled his groin and has been struggling to get back in it ever since.

I think he's slowly getting better and let's not forget he has 2 GWG.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum