GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal

+23
The Silfer Server
dennycrane
ddt
Oglethorpe
sandysensfan
DefenceWinsChampionships
rooneypoo
stempniaksen
SensHulk
SensGirl11
shabbs
Ev
Number Twenty Nine
NEELY
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
wprager
Flo The Action
Hoags
Riprock
cash
PTFlea
27 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 23]

1SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal Empty SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.senschirp.ca/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=492:sens-jackets-talking-deal&Itemid=13

After the start the Columbus Blue Jackets have had this year, it should come as no surprise that they are considering making moves.

Meanwhile, Sens GM Bryan Murray has indicated that he would like to add another NHL quality forward to his roster at some point. Was informed by a contact last night that the Sens and Jackets are discussing a deal for Derick Brassard.

The Ottawa Senators have shown an interest in Brassard in the past. Born in Hull, Quebec, Brassard is just 24 years old but like most of the Columbus team, has struggled in the early going this season. He has just two goals and two assists through 15 games.

Last night Brassard was a healthy scratch leading many to believe he may have played his last game with that organization. Brassard comes with a cap hit of $3,200,000 over the next three seasons.

Based on speculation from around the internet, the Senators are not the only team showing an interest but they are definitely in the mix. The contact speculated that Patrick Wiercioch could be a player the Sens include in discussions with the Blue Jackets.

It did not sound like anything was imminent as of last night but the two teams are definitely talking. Will update the blog if any additional information becomes available.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Definitely young, definitely has talent to continue to develop. Used to really like Brassard, but I soured on him a little bit.

Anyone been following his game?

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

Nothing wrong with a 45 point 23 year old center. If any center other than Spezza puts up 40 points this year, I'd be ecstatic...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I suppose if they are going to play Carter at C, Vermette at C, Pahlsson at C and with Johansen doing quite well, Brassard does become expendable, but it would depend on the cost.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting, with Carter, Prospal and Johansen's emergence he may be expendable.

They need NHL-defencemen and a goalie (or 2) I can't imagine Weircioch being a centerpiece, they have some D-prospects as well. I'd throw in Lee but it might take even more ...

hmm Brassard doesn't seem to be doing so well this year...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ottawa loves project players.

I was going to joke and say Brassard + 2nd for Leclaire (cause they traded us Leclaire + 2nd for Vermette). But since he's a FA....

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I find it hard to believe Weircioch would be all. to be honest I'd be likely to believe it would be something along the lines of Regin or Foligno + Weircoch for Brassard. I can't see Columbus parting ways with anything that can't help them now. Yes they need some defense right now but I don't believe Lee would be enough. Weircoch and Lee sounds a bit weak. Brassard was projected to be a top 2 center possibly a number 1. I'll admit he has fallen off the board a bit, especially in Columbus but he obviously still has value.

My bet is that Columbus will likely receive a better deal from another club for some real help on the back end.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

With a $3.2M price tag for another 3 years -- is that counting this season? -- I'd be a little concerned. That's only $1M less that what we paid Fisher, and Fisher certainly helped put fannies in seats, had better offensive numbers and an excellent defensive player to boot.

Tough decision, especially if the asking price is Wiercioch or Lee plus a pick or another prospect. He hasn't been the same player since that shoulder surgery.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:I find it hard to believe Weircioch would be all. to be honest I'd be likely to believe it would be something along the lines of Regin or Foligno + Weircoch for Brassard. I can't see Columbus parting ways with anything that can't help them now. Yes they need some defense right now but I don't believe Lee would be enough. Weircoch and Lee sounds a bit weak. Brassard was projected to be a top 2 center possibly a number 1. I'll admit he has fallen off the board a bit, especially in Columbus but he obviously still has value.

My bet is that Columbus will likely receive a better deal from another club for some real help on the back end.

He was in the middle (well, close to it) of a great sophomore season when he hurt his shoulder, had surgery and missed the rest of the year. Since then he had two full seasons where he hasn't come close to the pace he was on before, and this season looks even worse. How the heck did he manage to get a long-term $3.2M deal after not proving anything more than a hot start to 2008?

If there's going to be a bidding war, no thanks.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:With a $3.2M price tag for another 3 years -- is that counting this season? -- I'd be a little concerned. That's only $1M less that what we paid Fisher, and Fisher certainly helped put fannies in seats, had better offensive numbers and an excellent defensive player to boot.

Tough decision, especially if the asking price is Wiercioch or Lee plus a pick or another prospect. He hasn't been the same player since that shoulder surgery.

Seriously, with over 10M in cap space do you think 3M will be in an issue? Alfie's $4M+ is off the books soon and aside from Karlsson we don't have even 1 player that would fetch more than $2M in contract negotiations for the next 2 years...
I think cap space would be the least of management's concerns.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

La Femme wrote:
wprager wrote:With a $3.2M price tag for another 3 years -- is that counting this season? -- I'd be a little concerned. That's only $1M less that what we paid Fisher, and Fisher certainly helped put fannies in seats, had better offensive numbers and an excellent defensive player to boot.

Seriously, with over 10M in cap space do you think 3M will be in an issue? Alfie's $4M+ is off the books soon and aside from Karlsson we don't have even 1 player that would fetch more than $2M in contract negotiations for the next 2 years...
I think cap space would be the least of management's concerns.

Don't forget that Leeder is now the President, and he is an accountant. He's obviously convinced Melnyk that he can still make money while icing a rebuilding team, by keeping the payroll low. Adding $10M ($9.6 over three years, actually) may run contrary to the plan. Or not.

12SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal Empty Re: SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

maybe they trade Kuba+ for Brassard ... similar cap hits ?

13SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal Empty Re: SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:06 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:maybe they trade Kuba+ for Brassard ... similar cap hits ?

Laughing3 dare to dream.

14SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal Empty Re: SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:maybe they trade Kuba+ for Brassard ... similar cap hits ?

Kuba + what though? Wiercioch? Regin? How much is too much?

Lots of questions, but Murray's apparently like Brassard for a long time - and he and Howson have a history.

15SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal Empty Re: SENSCHIRP: Sens and Jacket talking deal Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:28 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Regin, Wiercioch and a pick is what it would look like.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 23]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum