GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+26
cash
ddt
sens4win
SensGirl11
DefenceWinsChampionships
mattshock
dennycrane
asq2
stempniaksen
Hoags
Riprock
sandysensfan
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
SensHulk
spader
NEELY
TheAvatar
Da lil Guy
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Oglethorpe
Ev
PTFlea
wprager
shabbs
30 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 67]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NEELY wrote:Gardiner is a solid, solid player. Really nice trade for Burke there.

Kadri is looking more and more like a total bust though. Can't stand him. Colbourn looks lost as well.
Frattin may beat Kadri out of a spot at this rate... how funny would that be?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Frattin has looked fantastic. They keep pumping Kadri's tires saying he is doing all the right things but fact of the matter is he is turning over the puck at the blueline, not creating any offense, and defensivly he has been "meh".

This is the kid they thought would be the future number 1 center. At this rate he will be lucky if he is an NHL center.

Da lil Guy

Rookie
Rookie

NY Times reporting that the Rags may decide to waive Sean Avery, due to their depth at centre.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/metro-pucks-report-staal-streit-avery-josefson-parise-nabokov/?partner=rss&emc=rss

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
NEELY wrote:Gardiner is a solid, solid player. Really nice trade for Burke there.

Kadri is looking more and more like a total bust though. Can't stand him. Colbourn looks lost as well.

We are very lucky Burke took Kadri.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

tim1_2 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Amen.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Meh, I doubt The Sens put the kind of pressure on Kadri, Toronto has. I didn't like him at the time of the draft either but coming into Ottawa would have been much easier playing behind Spezza.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Da lil Guy wrote:NY Times reporting that the Rags may decide to waive Sean Avery, due to their forward depth at centre.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/metro-pucks-report-staal-streit-avery-josefson-parise-nabokov/?partner=rss&emc=rss

Avery is a winger, and the article gets it right.

Have to wonder what's next for this guy. Avery was a very good, effective player in his prime -- i.e., in NY before Tortorella.

If he gets waived and then put on re-entry waivers, can someone claim him on (re-) re-entry waivers, and how would that work? Would they get him for 1/4th of his actual pay, with DAL stuck with the other 1/2 and NYR stuck with 1/4? That would be epic. Laughing3

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Meh, I doubt The Sens put the kind of pressure on Kadri, Toronto has. I didn't like him at the time of the draft either but coming into Ottawa would have been much easier playing behind Spezza.

I bet it would've turned out pretty much the same. There would still be tons of pressure on Kadri here. Have you seen how the media and some fans treat the players here? It's like they are slaves whose sole purpose in life is to amuse us and perform on the ice.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Sens wouldn't hang their future number 1 center hopes on a guy that couldn't possibly be a number 1 center. That's the point.

Expectations would be realistic in Ottawa, they are insane in Toronto. You can see right now there are no issue's sending guys like Da Costa or Zibanejad back to The SEL or AHL, Toronto they would expect those guys to carry the load for the entire city. Hell, Bozak was supposed to be the number 1 center there too.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:

Oh man, huge +1 on that. I said it before, imagine Cowen and Schenn for the Leafs?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Expectations here would only be tempered because we have a #1 C in Spezza. Toronto has no #1 C. Expectations are just a form of pressure from the outside world. Kadri's development is up to Kadri and Kadri alone. If he isn't mentally or physically tough enough to handle things in TO, he wouldn't hack it here, either.

That being said, I think there is still time for him to turn into a good NHLer, but I'm glad we didn't draft him.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The reality of Bozak being a #3 C is starting to settle in here in Toronto.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Oh man, huge +1 on that. I said it before, imagine Cowen and Schenn for the Leafs?

I still don't understand how Leaf fans think Murray didn't play Burke like a fiddle (or more accurately, let Burke play himself). It's amazing that they think Burke stole Kadri from us. I personally had Kadri well outside the top-10 and Imo it was a huge reach to take him at 7.

tim1_2 wrote:Expectations here would only be tempered because we have a #1 C in Spezza. Toronto has no #1 C. Expectations are just a form of pressure from the outside world. Kadri's development is up to Kadri and Kadri alone. If he isn't mentally or physically tough enough to handle things in TO, he wouldn't hack it here, either.

That being said, I think there is still time for him to turn into a good NHLer, but I'm glad we didn't draft him.
It was a reach to draft him at 7, but he's still only 21 and just two years post-draft. He was pretty dominant in his post draft season (huge point totals that don't necessarily reflect his actual impact. Imo he had less impact than the stats indicate) and put up a ppg pace in the AHL in his CHL overage year. Pretty decent showing so far.

Point producers who play with an edge are usually pretty valuable cogs.

That being said, yeah I'm glad we got that other guy Nod

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie

I don't think we should be too revisionist here - Murray clearly wanted Kadri, and Burke took him. It was plain to see on TV, and I don't think we can say it was all part of some machievellian scheme on Murray's part.

At the time, I recall being very upset with Murray because he allowed himself to get Wing Dang Doodle (can't wait to see what the filter does with that) on national television by his provincial rival.

What you can't fault Murray for, though, is not pressing the issue if he knew he was going to get a good player regardless - and in hindsight, probably the better player.

EDIT: Filter did not disappoint.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Da lil Guy wrote:I don't think we should be too revisionist here - Murray clearly wanted Kadri, and Burke took him. It was plain to see on TV, and I don't think we can say it was all part of some machievellian scheme on Murray's part.

At the time, I recall being very upset with Murray because he allowed himself to get Wing Dang Doodle (can't wait to see what the filter does with that) on national television by his provincial rival.

What you can't fault Murray for, though, is not pressing the issue if he knew he was going to get a good player regardless - and in hindsight, probably the better player.

I still don't know how people see it like that. BM approached Burke, inquiring about the pick; Burke, blusteringly, responds, we're keeping it and picking Kadri, then walks away. He didn't even listen to any offer (isn't that the first rule of GMing?) and in fact gave away information for free.

BM's silence suggests to me not some nutless submission to the almighty Burke, but rather, 'huh, thanks for the free info, don't need that pick now that I know you aren't picking my guy.'

Cowen was a top 4 or 5 pick before the injury. It's equally as plausible that BM was afraid Burke was going to grab him and not Kadri, who was not on most people's top 10.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Da lil Guy wrote:I don't think we should be too revisionist here - Murray clearly wanted Kadri, and Burke took him. It was plain to see on TV, and I don't think we can say it was all part of some machievellian scheme on Murray's part.

I still don't know how people see it like that. BM approached Burke, inquiring about the pick; Burke, blusteringly, responds, we're keeping it and picking Kadri, then walks away. He didn't even listen to any offer (isn't that the first rule of GMing?) and in fact gave away information for free.

BM's silence suggests to me not some nutless submission to the almighty Burke, but rather, 'huh, thanks for the free info, don't need that pick now that I know you aren't picking my guy.'

Cowen was a top 4 or 5 pick before the injury. It's equally as plausible that BM was afraid Burke was going to grab him and not Kadri, who was not on most people's top 10.

Murray wasn't silent. He said he wanted Kadri too.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think that it was "plain to see" that Murray wanted Kadri. When Burke asks if BM wants Kadri, Murray hesitates a bit. He may have wanted to draft NK, but it's also possible that the little pause indicated that wheels were turning in Murray's mind. Regardless, the end result is that we got Cowen, who looks like he'll be a beast. Kadri will probably be a very good second line center, and maybe even a good first liner (though I think it's a safer projection to have him succeeding on the 2nd). We'll never know whether Murray was being honest with Burke at the draft table or not. Who cares, though. We have Cowen. I couldn't be happier with that result.

Last edited by spader on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

It seems that there's a bit of a lack of agreement about what happened. Here's the clip:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum