GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silfverberg signs 3 year deal with Sens/will stay in Sweden for 1 more year

+10
SeawaySensFan
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
LeCaptain
shabbs
spader
wprager
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I`m having problems seeing how this is better then playing in Bingo for his development for the sens. The only thing I can imagine is that he'll get more money staying in Sweden.
At least in NA he might have gotten some call-up time.
Not good.

Was it "not good" for David Rundblad too?

I think people sell the SEL awfully short in NA.

Yeah, Rundblad was terrific for us down the stretch. What a clutch performer. Oh, wait, he hasn't played in the NHL yet. I wonder how well lighting it up in the SEL worked out for David Petrasek (he holds the record for most points in a season by a defenseman; Rundblad is 2nd), Janne Niskala (3rd) or Johan Ackerman (5th). Magnus Johansson is the only one in the top-five to have made it in the NHL (he is 4th in case you've not been paying attention). He played 45 games in 2007-08 for Chicago and Florida, recording 14 assists. I don't recognize any other names there until I get to Johansson, again, at #18. Although Peter Loob at #13 rings a bell. Hold on... 3 points in 8 games with the Nordiques in 85-85.

Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Rundblad's accomplishments, but the SEL is a different league and success there does not necessarily translate into success here.

By the way, Lidstrom is not even in the top-100:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_total.php?league_sum_totals=&timeperiod=&from=&to=&season=%&leagueid=Elitserien&nation=&sort=Defensemen

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:The ELC is automatically extended for one season if the player does not play 10 games at the NHL level. I assume there are age limits that kick in as well.

This is from a post on HF boards asking a question about ELCs:
Entry Level Contracts
By default, all ELC's are two-way contracts, no exceptions. The length of the ELC is determined in the CBA:
Age 18-21 when first signing: 3 years
Age 22-23: 2 years
Age 24: 1 year
Age 25-27 (European players only): 1 year
Otherwise: not subject to entry-level restrictions

In general (I'm not going into all of the possible variations here) ...
If a player is age 18 or 19 (and doesn't turn 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the first year he signs an SPC) and does not play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs), the contract is extended for one (1) additional season except for signing bonuses, which will "slide". If a player then doesn't play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs) in the second year, the contract can be extended for another year, again except for signing bonuses - which "slide".

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=294476

I'm not saying that HF Boards is *the source* but I'd heard this many, many times before.

What you're talking about here are "sliding ELCs". Not all ELCs slide. ELCs can slide for players who sign at ages 18 or 19. If you sign at 20 or older, there is no sliding clause.

From CapGeek's FAQs:

"If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games, the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.

Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.

CBA reference: Section 9.1 (d) (P. 23-24)"

Silfverberg was born on Oct. 13, 1990. That means he was 20 years old (and 7 months) when he signed with us this week / last week. His contract will not slide regardless of where he plays or how many NHL games he does or doesn't play.

Thanks for the clarification.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I`m having problems seeing how this is better then playing in Bingo for his development for the sens. The only thing I can imagine is that he'll get more money staying in Sweden.
Not good.

Yeah, Rundblad was terrific for us down the stretch. What a clutch performer. Oh, wait, he hasn't played in the NHL yet. I wonder how well lighting it up in the SEL worked out for David Petrasek (he holds the record for most points in a season by a defenseman; Rundblad is 2nd), Janne Niskala (3rd) or Johan Ackerman (5th). Magnus Johansson is the only one in the top-five to have made it in the NHL (he is 4th in case you've not been paying attention). He played 45 games in 2007-08 for Chicago and Florida, recording 14 assists. I don't recognize any other names there until I get to Johansson, again, at #18. Although Peter Loob at #13 rings a bell. Hold on... 3 points in 8 games with the Nordiques in 85-85.

Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Rundblad's accomplishments, but the SEL is a different league and success there does not necessarily translate into success here.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_total.php?league_sum_totals=&timeperiod=&from=&to=&season=%&leagueid=Elitserien&nation=&sort=Defensemen

But success in the AHL or the CHL does, right? Vertigo

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NHL_Sens Ottawa Senators
The #Sens have signed Jakob Silfverberg to an entry level contract: http://ottsens.com/m2URQK

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Not good.

But success in the AHL or the CHL does, right? Vertigo

Nope, but you can bring him up a couple of times to gauge progress, whet his appetite for the NHL. Even just being in camp makes them realize just how hard they have to work in the off-season. Plus the longer playing season, smaller ice and more hitting.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Tim Murray said... they will let Silfverberg decide where he wants to play SEL or NA.

He said Rundblad stayed back one more year and it worked out for him.... so they are happy with any decision that Silfverberg makes.

They also had to get Caporusso & Silfverberg signed before the 1st of June or they could re-enter the draft.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

sandysensfan wrote:Tim Murray said... they will let Silfverberg decide where he wants to play SEL or NA.

He said Rundblad stayed back one more year and it worked out for him.... so they are happy with any decision that Silfverberg makes.

They also had to get Caporusso & Silfverberg signed before the 1st of June or they could re-enter the draft.

Silfverberg could have re-entered the draft? I didn't know that...

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Rundblad did not stay back one more year though. They were in the same draft.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Rundblad did not stay back one more year though. They were in the same draft.

I can buy into it that Silf is scared to cross the pond and compete for a spot. I can also buy that Sweden is probably slightly nicer than Binghamton NY.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Silfverberg will change his tune if the Sens tell him he is ready after watching him at rookie camp.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:I think Silfverberg will change his tune if the Sens tell him he is ready after watching him at rookie camp.

By then won't he be committed to Brynas? They should be telling him that now, but then there's a part of me that gets annoyed, we shouldn't be telling these guys that, they should come to camp ready to kill for a spot. If he spends the extra year in Sweden, he better come out the better for it.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I think Silfverberg will change his tune if the Sens tell him he is ready after watching him at rookie camp.

By then won't he be committed to Brynas? They should be telling him that now, but then there's a part of me that gets annoyed, we shouldn't be telling these guys that, they should come to camp ready to kill for a spot. If he spends the extra year in Sweden, he better come out the better for it.

Remember, lots of guys stayed in Sweden longer, and now are really good players. Franzen only came over at age 25. Alfie won the Calder at age 23. Zetterberg came over at age 22.

And you can get guys like Nilsson who came over at age 20 and didn't live up to his draft ranking.

All this to say that Silfverberg spending an extra year in the SEL could be a good thing. But really there will never be a way of knowing what could be if he hadn't. So no reason to fret either way.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Meh... I have no issues with him staying another year in the SEL. I know lots of fans are wanting the Sens to get better as fast as possible and see some exciting kids come in and dazzle us... all in due time.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:Tim Murray said... they will let Silfverberg decide where he wants to play SEL or NA.

Silfverberg could have re-entered the draft? I didn't know that...

It has something to do with the new transfer agreement between the SEL and the NHL.

Not sure about Caporusso though if he was under a deadline as well. I may have erred on that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:
Remember, lots of guys stayed in Sweden longer, and now are really good players. Franzen only came over at age 25. Alfie won the Calder at age 23. Zetterberg came over at age 22.

And you can get guys like Nilsson who came over at age 20 and didn't live up to his draft ranking.

All this to say that Silfverberg spending an extra year in the SEL could be a good thing. But really there will never be a way of knowing what could be if he hadn't. So no reason to fret either way.

Yeah I'm good with it, he's gonna be the guy there and he still has some work to do apparently. No rush, SEL is probably the 3rd best league, he can fill out a bit more. It would be nice to have him a stone's throw away, but he'll come over next year I assume.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:You are all missing my point. If development-wise both Bingo and the SEL are equal (and I don't believe that they are, but that's a different story) then Bingo has the advantage of:
A) North American ice and style of game]
B) Longer season
C) A short ride up to Ottawa

You simply *will not* get any of that in the SEL. The advantages of the SEL are also fairly obvious:
A) Mommy's cooking
B) Girlfriend's ... nooking? What do they call it nowadays? It's been a while.
C) Shorter season (more 'B')
D) More ice to dangle and impress (in case he's in-between 'B's)
E) Less hitting (good for the GAF -- see 'B')

Well, of course a 19 or 20-year-old from Sweden would prefer the SEL over Binghamton, but from a Sens perspective, I would certainly prefer him in the AHL.

Playing against way better players should be at A) there.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Rundblad did not stay back one more year though. They were in the same draft.

Just one of them had a breakout year though.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
wprager wrote:You are all missing my point. If development-wise both Bingo and the SEL are equal (and I don't believe that they are, but that's a different story) then Bingo has the advantage of:
A) North American ice and style of game]
B) Longer season
C) A short ride up to Ottawa

You simply *will not* get any of that in the SEL. The advantages of the SEL are also fairly obvious:
A) Mommy's cooking
B) Girlfriend's ... nooking? What do they call it nowadays? It's been a while.
C) Shorter season (more 'B')
D) More ice to dangle and impress (in case he's in-between 'B's)
E) Less hitting (good for the GAF -- see 'B')

Well, of course a 19 or 20-year-old from Sweden would prefer the SEL over Binghamton, but from a Sens perspective, I would certainly prefer him in the AHL.

Playing against way better players should be at A) there.

Way better players in the AHL? I don't know much about the SEL, but I've heard it called the 2nd best league.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum