GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silfverberg signs 3 year deal with Sens/will stay in Sweden for 1 more year

+10
SeawaySensFan
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
LeCaptain
shabbs
spader
wprager
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Bingo and SEL may be similar in talent level, but there's one thing he won't be able to get in Sweden: a bus ride up to Ottawa.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Bingo and SEL may be similar in talent level, but there's one thing he won't be able to get in Sweden: a bus ride up to Ottawa.

Thinking Hmmm...Binghamton NY in all its glory - with a chance to smell the NHL 5 times, or beautiful, homeland Sweden.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Alfie never played in the AHL Smile

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah Bingo is a brutal city.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:Alfie never played in the AHL Smile

Alfie was a 24-year-old rookie. The team sucked (16 wins that year) so they brought him in and he played well.

If your point is that you don't necessarily need to go to the AHL to have success in the NHL, then, yes, every once in a 100 years you pick a player 133rd overall who goes on to win the Calder and lead your team to the SCF.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
marakh wrote:Alfie never played in the AHL Smile

Alfie was a 24-year-old rookie. The team sucked (16 wins that year) so they brought him in and he played well.

If your point is that you don't necessarily need to go to the AHL to have success in the NHL, then, yes, every once in a 100 years you pick a player 133rd overall who goes on to win the Calder and lead your team to the SCF.

Exactly
Silfverberg is 20 years old and Swedish players who are 20 and under don't play in the AHL. Guys like Patric Hornqvist, Zetterberg, Alfredsson, Eriksson...were all the SEL when they were 20. They are not fully developped skill-wise.
The AHL is just to get used to the North American Ice, not to refine your skills.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:Bingo and SEL may be similar in talent level, but there's one thing he won't be able to get in Sweden: a bus ride up to Ottawa.

Thinking Hmmm...Binghamton NY in all its glory - with a chance to smell the NHL 5 times, or beautiful, homeland Sweden.

Yeah, when you put it that way....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You are all missing my point. If development-wise both Bingo and the SEL are equal (and I don't believe that they are, but that's a different story) then Bingo has the advantage of:
A) North American ice and style of game]
B) Longer season
C) A short ride up to Ottawa

You simply *will not* get any of that in the SEL. The advantages of the SEL are also fairly obvious:
A) Mommy's cooking
B) Girlfriend's ... nooking? What do they call it nowadays? It's been a while.
C) Shorter season (more 'B')
D) More ice to dangle and impress (in case he's in-between 'B's)
E) Less hitting (good for the GAF -- see 'B')

Well, of course a 19 or 20-year-old from Sweden would prefer the SEL over Binghamton, but from a Sens perspective, I would certainly prefer him in the AHL.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:You are all missing my point. If development-wise both Bingo and the SEL are equal (and I don't believe that they are, but that's a different story) then Bingo has the advantage of:
A) North American ice and style of game]
B) Longer season
C) A short ride up to Ottawa

You simply *will not* get any of that in the SEL. The advantages of the SEL are also fairly obvious:
A) Mommy's cooking
B) Girlfriend's ... nooking? What do they call it nowadays? It's been a while.
C) Shorter season (more 'B')
D) More ice to dangle and impress (in case he's in-between 'B's)
E) Less hitting (good for the GAF -- see 'B')

Well, of course a 19 or 20-year-old from Sweden would prefer the SEL over Binghamton, but from a Sens perspective, I would certainly prefer him in the AHL.
that should clearly be a reason for him being in Bingo. makes the jump to the NHL that much harder.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Bingo eats a year of the ELC, while the SEL does not. It is not totally negative.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:Bingo eats a year of the ELC, while the SEL does not. It is not totally negative.

It does? I'm pretty sure it does not, unless he plays in 10 games. Lehner spent the whole season either up here or in Bingo. He only started 8 games (it's starts for goalies, backing up doesn't count even if he gets paid his NHL salary) so his ELC did not kick in. He's spending all of next season and probably much of the following one in Bingo. If what you are saying is correct he will have blown through his ELC before he got here for the last year of Anderson's contract.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:Bingo eats a year of the ELC, while the SEL does not. It is not totally negative.

It does? I'm pretty sure it does not, unless he plays in 10 games. Lehner spent the whole season either up here or in Bingo. He only started 8 games (it's starts for goalies, backing up doesn't count even if he gets paid his NHL salary) so his ELC did not kick in. He's spending all of next season and probably much of the following one in Bingo. If what you are saying is correct he will have blown through his ELC before he got here for the last year of Anderson's contract.
Any season spent in Bingo is the same as a year in Ottawa contract wise. The difference is in terms of waivers and arbitration rights, which are dependant on NHL tenure.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The ELC is automatically extended for one season if the player does not play 10 games at the NHL level. I assume there are age limits that kick in as well.

This is from a post on HF boards asking a question about ELCs:
Entry Level Contracts
By default, all ELC's are two-way contracts, no exceptions. The length of the ELC is determined in the CBA:
Age 18-21 when first signing: 3 years
Age 22-23: 2 years
Age 24: 1 year
Age 25-27 (European players only): 1 year
Otherwise: not subject to entry-level restrictions

In general (I'm not going into all of the possible variations here) ...
If a player is age 18 or 19 (and doesn't turn 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the first year he signs an SPC) and does not play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs), the contract is extended for one (1) additional season except for signing bonuses, which will "slide". If a player then doesn't play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs) in the second year, the contract can be extended for another year, again except for signing bonuses - which "slide".

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=294476

I'm not saying that HF Boards is *the source* but I'd heard this many, many times before.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:I`m having problems seeing how this is better then playing in Bingo for his development for the sens. The only thing I can imagine is that he'll get more money staying in Sweden.
At least in NA he might have gotten some call-up time.
Not good.

Was it "not good" for David Rundblad too?

I think people sell the SEL awfully short in NA.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:The ELC is automatically extended for one season if the player does not play 10 games at the NHL level. I assume there are age limits that kick in as well.

Entry Level Contracts
By default, all ELC's are two-way contracts, no exceptions. The length of the ELC is determined in the CBA:

If a player is age 18 or 19 (and doesn't turn 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the first year he signs an SPC) and does not play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs), the contract is extended for one (1) additional season except for signing bonuses, which will "slide". If a player then doesn't play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs) in the second year, the contract can be extended for another year, again except for signing bonuses - which "slide".

I'm not saying that HF Boards is *the source* but I'd heard this many, many times before.

What you're talking about here are "sliding ELCs". Not all ELCs slide. ELCs can slide for players who sign at ages 18 or 19. If you sign at 20 or older, there is no sliding clause.

From CapGeek's FAQs:

"If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games, the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.

Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.

CBA reference: Section 9.1 (d) (P. 23-24)"

Silfverberg was born on Oct. 13, 1990. That means he was 20 years old (and 7 months) when he signed with us this week / last week. His contract will not slide regardless of where he plays or how many NHL games he does or doesn't play.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I`m having problems seeing how this is better then playing in Bingo for his development for the sens. The only thing I can imagine is that he'll get more money staying in Sweden.
Not good.

Yeah, Rundblad was terrific for us down the stretch. What a clutch performer. Oh, wait, he hasn't played in the NHL yet. I wonder how well lighting it up in the SEL worked out for David Petrasek (he holds the record for most points in a season by a defenseman; Rundblad is 2nd), Janne Niskala (3rd) or Johan Ackerman (5th). Magnus Johansson is the only one in the top-five to have made it in the NHL (he is 4th in case you've not been paying attention). He played 45 games in 2007-08 for Chicago and Florida, recording 14 assists. I don't recognize any other names there until I get to Johansson, again, at #18. Although Peter Loob at #13 rings a bell. Hold on... 3 points in 8 games with the Nordiques in 85-85.

Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Rundblad's accomplishments, but the SEL is a different league and success there does not necessarily translate into success here.

By the way, Lidstrom is not even in the top-100:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_total.php?league_sum_totals=&timeperiod=&from=&to=&season=%&leagueid=Elitserien&nation=&sort=Defensemen

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:The ELC is automatically extended for one season if the player does not play 10 games at the NHL level. I assume there are age limits that kick in as well.

Entry Level Contracts

What you're talking about here are "sliding ELCs". Not all ELCs slide. ELCs can slide for players who sign at ages 18 or 19. If you sign at 20 or older, there is no sliding clause.

From CapGeek's FAQs:

"If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games, the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.

Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.

CBA reference: Section 9.1 (d) (P. 23-24)"

Silfverberg was born on Oct. 13, 1990. That means he was 20 years old (and 7 months) when he signed with us this week / last week. His contract will not slide regardless of where he plays or how many NHL games he does or doesn't play.

Thanks for the clarification.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Not good.

Yeah, Rundblad was terrific for us down the stretch. What a clutch performer. Oh, wait, he hasn't played in the NHL yet. I wonder how well lighting it up in the SEL worked out for David Petrasek (he holds the record for most points in a season by a defenseman; Rundblad is 2nd), Janne Niskala (3rd) or Johan Ackerman (5th). Magnus Johansson is the only one in the top-five to have made it in the NHL (he is 4th in case you've not been paying attention). He played 45 games in 2007-08 for Chicago and Florida, recording 14 assists. I don't recognize any other names there until I get to Johansson, again, at #18. Although Peter Loob at #13 rings a bell. Hold on... 3 points in 8 games with the Nordiques in 85-85.

Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Rundblad's accomplishments, but the SEL is a different league and success there does not necessarily translate into success here.

By the way, Lidstrom is not even in the top-100:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_total.php?league_sum_totals=&timeperiod=&from=&to=&season=%&leagueid=Elitserien&nation=&sort=Defensemen

But success in the AHL or the CHL does, right? Vertigo

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum