GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Considering trying out Netflix -- what's the break-even point?

+8
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Riprock
SensHulk
LeCaptain
Ev
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Once their TV program selection improves drastically I'll likely give Netflix a try and get rid of Satelite TV. Combine that with Magic Jack phone for 12 dollars a year and that's a whole lotta chedda' saved.

Anyone use Magic Jack? If so how do you like it?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Once their TV program selection improves drastically I'll likely give Netflix a try and get rid of Satelite TV. Combine that with Magic Jack phone for 12 dollars a year and that's a whole lotta chedda' saved.

What the heck is a Magic Jack? Does it come with a little bag of beans? How is it different from Skype?

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

I've been tempted to get NetFlix as well.

I need to switch to a better ISP like Teksavvy with no cap, but with this whole UBB/CRTC issue still ongoing it may not be worth it.

Plus they only offer DSL in my area, no cable yet.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Once their TV program selection improves drastically I'll likely give Netflix a try and get rid of Satelite TV. Combine that with Magic Jack phone for 12 dollars a year and that's a whole lotta chedda' saved.

My ex-tenant introduced me to it about 4 years ago. For some reason, when he called, it displayed a number from Iowa or something on my Caller ID.

I still have no clue how that Cussing thing works.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

We have netflix, and the quality of main stream movies isn't very good. It has a lot to do with getting license agreements in place in Canada to distribute the movies. Looking a the American content it's absolutely fantastic, so one can only hope it's a matter of time to get to that point.

It's getting much better as they just signed with one of the top studios Paramount Canada??

Anyway, aside from that the kids love the kids show they have in place currently and there is always a movie/doc that I wanted to go see, but didn't want to pay the 10.00 ++ at the time to go see it in the theater.

As for the quality of the streaming, rarely do I have to wait for it to buffer, and since they improved the compression the amount of my overall download quota it takes is very very small.

Take it for what it's worth. 8 bucks a month in my opinion is worth it.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

You guys should try out Gmail Voice. Right now you can make free phone calls to North America. The # that shows up are random numbers, apparently once I called and it showed up from California or something.

Google is giving out phone numbers to limited people as a beta service. I'm hoping to get one.

My dad gave me his old iPhone and it is basically just an iPod right now as there's no service on it, but I still can use wifi and I tried to use Gmail Voice on it but they must have figured out a way to block it.

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

I have it at since you're allowed 6 devices per account i have 5 of my friends hooked up too, i acctually make money as i charge them 2 a month. But even if they drop out i would still keep even if it was just for the Documentaries which i didnt realize i was such a fan of.

Does anyone know when the PSN will be back up? I've been missing more then just my netflix for the past couple weeks.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bramlet07 wrote:I have it at since you're allowed 6 devices per account i have 5 of my friends hooked up too, i acctually make money as i charge them 2 a month. But even if they drop out i would still keep even if it was just for the Documentaries which i didnt realize i was such a fan of.

Does anyone know when the PSN will be back up? I've been missing more then just my netflix for the past couple weeks.

I remember when I first signed up with BEV they had everything included the first month or two. The Documentary channel ran this series called "G-String Divas". These were not your grandfather's documentaries.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wonder if we get less for our money in Canada than in the US for Netflix. Like Subway, for example?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:I wonder if we get less for our money in Canada than in the US for Netflix. Like Subway, for example?

You can keep your Subway talk over on the Ketchup debate thread thank you very much. Wink

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:I wonder if we get less for our money in Canada than in the US for Netflix. Like Subway, for example?

THIS! Canada always gets the short-end....we can't even get hulu :'(

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:

Precisely.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

You can keep your Subway talk over on the Ketchup debate thread thank you very much. Wink
Five... five dollar foot long... that tune is so catchy...

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Bramlet07 wrote:I have it at since you're allowed 6 devices per account i have 5 of my friends hooked up too, i acctually make money as i charge them 2 a month. But even if they drop out i would still keep even if it was just for the Documentaries which i didnt realize i was such a fan of.

End of the month.
I can't wait for the free Dung they promised the users Ahhhhh!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

How about "What's your 99?" for Wendy's in the US, but here it's "Nah, nah, my $1.89"

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Michallica wrote:

I get HULU..and netflix (the american version)...well when I'm at work. For some reason my office while here in Ottawa has an IP address that registers me as being in New York. WIth that said, the American version of netflix is 1000 times better. The content is from what I can tell about on par with what you'd see in your video store.

Canada is making strides (netflix canada signed a contract with paramount canada I believe), which is bringing fairly recent content from that studio to netflix when it releases. With that said, it's still lagging far behind the american version but thanks to friends at the CRTC it appears to be political red tape, and the intent of the canadian broadcast companies to block netflix from getting any substantial content.

It's due to change, but according to one friend they also expect american carriers of tv/satelite/phone/internet to come to canada and be allowed to compete in our market.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

How about "What's your 99?" for Wendy's in the US, but here it's "Nah, nah, my $1.89"

This is all covered in the Great Ketchup Debate thread - Strong lobby groups have made it such that garbage food that makes you fat gets huge subsidies. Do you really want that in Canada? Would you prefer to spend less money feeding your family at McDonalds over making them something healthy at home?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

22_4_ever wrote:
Michallica wrote:

I get HULU..and netflix (the american version)...well when I'm at work. For some reason my office while here in Ottawa has an IP address that registers me as being in New York. WIth that said, the American version of netflix is 1000 times better. The content is from what I can tell about on par with what you'd see in your video store.

Canada is making strides (netflix canada signed a contract with paramount canada I believe), which is bringing fairly recent content from that studio to netflix when it releases. With that said, it's still lagging far behind the american version but thanks to friends at the CRTC it appears to be political red tape, and the intent of the canadian broadcast companies to block netflix from getting any substantial content.

It's due to change, but according to one friend they also expect american carriers of tv/satelite/phone/internet to come to canada and be allowed to compete in our market.

This is thanks, in large part, to those big bad Conservatives. Sarcasm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum