GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bin Laden killed

+6
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
LeCaptain
Riprock
Ev
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:Who cares about this, 10 years after the fact? I don't buy for a second that the U.S. spent much time lately actually seeking Bin Laden out. The U.S. has bigger fish to fry than Bin Laden (who gave them the excuse to go back to Iraq), namely Iraqi oil.

The U.S. can put a smart bomb up an Arab's Donkey by remote but can't find Bin Laden for 10 years. Please.

Well, if you look at reactions all over the globe, apparently A LOT of people still cared. Your statement, "Who cares", is actually pretty ignorant. I bet a lot of people who lost loved ones on 9/11 probably care. Oh, and I care.

And if you read all the work that went into finding this somewhat isolated compound, you'd realize that they have been on this for a long time. Yeah, they may not have had all their resources dedicated to this, but then it likely isn't their #1 priority now.

I'll clarify my statement, just for you. I DON'T CARE. And I am not alone.

I don't believe for a minute that the work you are suggesting was actually done. If you recall, Bin Laden was forgotten, or a least put on the back burner, once the U.S. Government decided that it was in the world's (and by the world's I mean strictly their own) best interest to remove all the multitudes of WMDs in Iraq. The only reason anyone even paid Bin Laden any attention after the Iraq "war" started was when one of his videos popped up in the media.

I think it's good that he's dead. He deserves to die for the crimes he's committed. But after 10 years, he's old news for the vast majority of people. Certainly to the people affected by the 9/11 tragedy it's a big relief, but beyond that, Bin Laden has been out of the public psyche for a long time. I don't believe for a minute that even a half-assed effort on part of the U.S. Government would have taken 10 years. In fact, I'll go one further. I don't believe he even died recently. He was widely reported to have had kidney failure and other medical issues. Reportedly, he needed dialysis just to stay alive. So, do I think he managed to received treatment all while evading the mighty U.S. Government while living in a Dung hut in Pakistan? I'd say no. My personal belief is that he died some time ago, and this announcement, is like everything Governments do: Feed us what they want us to know, for their own purpose.

So then how did some random Pakistani live-tweet the raid without even knowing what was going on? A US chopper didn't crash there for reason.

Good lord some of these theories people have make you just shake your head.

47Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 6:39 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:I've given up on this thread. I find some of the responses too upsetting for words...

Agreed. It's pretty gross, actually. We weren't talking about oil or even POLITICS for that matter.

Anyway, if you think people don't care, look at the reactions by CITIZENS in the US today. They care. Watch "God Bless America" at the start of the Philly game tonight and tell me people don't care.

48Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 7:18 pm

sandysensfan wrote:
hemlock wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:Who cares about this, 10 years after the fact? I don't buy for a second that the U.S. spent much time lately actually seeking Bin Laden out. The U.S. has bigger fish to fry than Bin Laden (who gave them the excuse to go back to Iraq), namely Iraqi oil.

The U.S. can put a smart bomb up an Arab's Donkey by remote but can't find Bin Laden for 10 years. Please.

Well, if you look at reactions all over the globe, apparently A LOT of people still cared. Your statement, "Who cares", is actually pretty ignorant. I bet a lot of people who lost loved ones on 9/11 probably care. Oh, and I care.

And if you read all the work that went into finding this somewhat isolated compound, you'd realize that they have been on this for a long time. Yeah, they may not have had all their resources dedicated to this, but then it likely isn't their #1 priority now.

I don't believe for a minute that the work you are suggesting was actually done. If you recall, Bin Laden was forgotten, or a least put on the back burner, once the U.S. Government decided that it was in the world's (and by the world's I mean strictly their own) best interest to remove all the multitudes of WMDs in Iraq. The only reason anyone even paid Bin Laden any attention after the Iraq "war" started was when one of his videos popped up in the media.

I think it's good that he's dead. He deserves to die for the crimes he's committed. But after 10 years, he's old news for the vast majority of people. Certainly to the people affected by the 9/11 tragedy it's a big relief, but beyond that, Bin Laden has been out of the public psyche for a long time. I don't believe for a minute that even a half-assed effort on part of the U.S. Government would have taken 10 years. In fact, I'll go one further. I don't believe he even died recently. He was widely reported to have had kidney failure and other medical issues. Reportedly, he needed dialysis just to stay alive. So, do I think he managed to received treatment all while evading the mighty U.S. Government while living in a Dung hut in Pakistan? I'd say no. My personal belief is that he died some time ago, and this announcement, is like everything Governments do: Feed us what they want us to know, for their own purpose.

To the relatives of those killed in 9/11 (and that includes some Canadians) and to the US people... it did mean a hell of a lot. If a such a horrible act happened on Canadian soil... you would probably have a different view of this whole thing. But the thing is, it COULD happen in Canada. Bin Laden and his followers are a great danger to the free world.. and getting rid of him and anyone else in that gutless organization is a benefit to us.
He probably has been more of a figure head and money provider in later years.. having his minions do the dirty work. He was also someone who they used to recruit new members (so to speak).
But this is probably a bit hit to Al Qaeda financial wise if nothing else.
But there will be retribution... you can bet on that.
I'm for one am glad he is dead.

I too am glad he's dead as I have said. Sure it COULD happen in Canada, but since we are a peacekeeping nation that doesn't make a habit of declaring illegal wars on countries and invading them, I don't see an attack on Canada as a realistic threat.

Bin Laden and his followers are a great danger to the free world huh? How about when Bin Laden, who had been trained and supplied by the U.S., fought the Soviets in Afghanistan? I'd argue that he was quite the opposite of a "great danger to the free world" back then. The point is, is that everything is relative to your POV.

As far as retribution goes, yes there will probably be some. But if the U.S. really wants to stop U.S. citizens from getting harmed, they ought to consider not using it's military clout to invade nations illegally. Their foreign policy practically invites terrorism.

As far as calling Al Qaeda gutless, well that too is all point of view. If you were a militant Islamist, you'd probably consider your actions to be as noble as could be.

49Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Big Ev wrote:
hemlock wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

So then how did some random Pakistani live-tweet the raid without even knowing what was going on? A US chopper didn't crash there for reason.

Yeah, it's all just a theory, that's it. Stay ignorant. That's what the government wants.

50Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 7:21 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:I've given up on this thread. I find some of the responses too upsetting for words...

Agreed. It's pretty gross, actually. We weren't talking about oil or even POLITICS for that matter.

Anyway, if you think people don't care, look at the reactions by CITIZENS in the US today. They care. Watch "God Bless America" at the start of the Philly game tonight and tell me people don't care.

Of course the vast majority of Americans care. But last I checked the U.S. population is roughly 1/18th of the worlds population. Like I said, most people don't care. Bin Laden is old news.

51Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
hemlock wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Yeah, it's all just a theory, that's it. Stay ignorant. That's what the government wants.

Ugh... Facepalm

52Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 7:31 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:
hemlock wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

To the relatives of those killed in 9/11 (and that includes some Canadians) and to the US people... it did mean a hell of a lot. If a such a horrible act happened on Canadian soil... you would probably have a different view of this whole thing. But the thing is, it COULD happen in Canada. Bin Laden and his followers are a great danger to the free world.. and getting rid of him and anyone else in that gutless organization is a benefit to us.
He probably has been more of a figure head and money provider in later years.. having his minions do the dirty work. He was also someone who they used to recruit new members (so to speak).

I too am glad he's dead as I have said. Sure it COULD happen in Canada, but since we are a peacekeeping nation that doesn't make a habit of declaring illegal wars on countries and invading them, I don't see an attack on Canada as a realistic threat.

Bin Laden and his followers are a great danger to the free world huh? How about when Bin Laden, who had been trained and supplied by the U.S., fought the Soviets in Afghanistan? I'd argue that he was quite the opposite of a "great danger to the free world" back then. The point is, is that everything is relative to your POV.

As far as retribution goes, yes there will probably be some. But if the U.S. really wants to stop U.S. citizens from getting harmed, they ought to consider not using it's military clout to invade nations illegally. Their foreign policy practically invites terrorism.

As far as calling Al Qaeda gutless, well that too is all point of view. If you were a militant Islamist, you'd probably consider your actions to be as noble as could be.

Sorry Hemlock... but I guess you don't read the news. Last August 'suspected' terriorists were arrested in Canada with equipment and plans to ATTACK some government buildings & public transit in Canada. Two of those alleged terrorists were OTTAWA residents. I assume there are lot of sleeper cells in Canada.. to not think so is naive. Canada was involved in the war in Afghanistan... therefore they are a target.

They are gutless. Any DECENT human being knowing & seeing the results of what these so-called terrorists did would also think so.

53Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 7:36 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not following this thread too much anymore, but I ask everyone to keep it civil please!

Thanks

54Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 7:44 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm not following this thread too much anymore, but I ask everyone to keep it civil please!

Thanks

Agreed SpezDispenser

I sometimes get a little hotheaded.. must be the red-hair. But I feel for the American public and those who lost love ones at the hands of this guy both American & Cdn & elsewhere.

But this is a hockey site.. for hockey talk. Let's leave the politics out of it.

55Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 10:04 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I'm with Hemlock and PRages.
I am actually from a Third world country and I find it sad to see most people in North America being so naive and believing every single BS that the American Media and Government spits night in night out.
Bin Laden killed a few thousand Americans, and for some reason his death is celebrated by Americans (and announced by Obama as such) like it's one of the biggest day ever for humanity. I am sorry but 90% of the Humanity don't care. The day Western Countries leave Africa, Middle East and Latin America WILL be the Greatest day for humanity.
I just laughed when Obama said last night "we didn't seek war, Bin Laden wanted to harm us". I mean, just think about htis for a second. So someone would just invest lives of men and millions of dollars just to "harm" American people because he doesn't like them Laugh1
Hitler was evil, he wanted to control the world because he believed in some kind of superior race that were destined to rule the world or something, and that Jews were a race that should be exterminated because they were getting too strong and took control of the Economy.
Most people in Al Qaida are people whose families have been killed/tortured because of Americans/British/etc invading countries and not being careful of casualties. They want revenge as much as the Americans want revenge for what happened on 9/11.
Now, I am not saying they are right or anything, but to me the 2 sides are as disgusting.
I wonder how many people know how many women and Children die everyday because of Western countries trying to dictate how a country should run themselves. WHat gives them the right? Is anyone else invading the USA because they don't like the way The US Government runs its country?
What's worse, someone sending a plane to kill a few thousand people and admitting it, or a Government selling guns and financing rebel armies to make habitants of a country fight against each other so they can control economy and raw material/energy with the puppets they put in place?...
THere'S soooo many examples and yet people still eat the BSes. Fidel Castro/Che Guevara alone should be enough to not trust what the USA feeds the population.
Bottom line is simple: Get out of Middle East/Latin America/Africa.

56Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 pm

sandysensfan wrote:
hemlock wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:
hemlock wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Sorry Hemlock... but I guess you don't read the news. Last August 'suspected' terriorists were arrested in Canada with equipment and plans to ATTACK some government buildings & public transit in Canada. Two of those alleged terrorists were OTTAWA residents. I assume there are lot of sleeper cells in Canada.. to not think so is naive. Canada was involved in the war in Afghanistan... therefore they are a target.

They are gutless. Any DECENT human being knowing & seeing the results of what these so-called terrorists did would also think so.

Just because they operate in Canada doesn't mean they'll attack Canada. Canada is lax in comparison to the U.S. so it's much easier for terrorist cells to operate. But operating here doesn't mean they'll attack here, as evidenced by the LAST TEN YEARS. So please, do me the courtesy of not making inflammatory comments like "You don't read the news". Plans and attacking are two different things. Look up Mens Rea and Actus Reus. They can plan all they like, the difference is what they do, and so far, there have been no terrorist attacks in Canada. It's as simple as Canada's foreign policy in relation to the United States'.

As far as gutless goes, they are doing what their faith demands (in their perverted sense of what Islam is) that they do. So if that's the case, will you at least freely admit that Christianity historically has been gutless? Fundamentalist Islam today is basically what Christianity was 600 years ago, with bigger weapons. I just want to be sure you aren't a hypocrite. So please, do me the courtesy of at least acknowledging that.

Last edited by hemlock on Mon May 02, 2011 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

57Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 10:16 pm

marakh wrote:I'm with Hemlock and PRages.
I am actually from a Third world country and I find it sad to see most people in North America being so naive and believing every single BS that the American Media and Government spits night in night out.
Bin Laden killed a few thousand Americans, and for some reason his death is celebrated by Americans (and announced by Obama as such) like it's one of the biggest day ever for humanity. I am sorry but 90% of the Humanity don't care. The day Western Countries leave Africa, Middle East and Latin America WILL be the Greatest day for humanity.
I just laughed when Obama said last night "we didn't seek war, Bin Laden wanted to harm us". I mean, just think about htis for a second. So someone would just invest lives of men and millions of dollars just to "harm" American people because he doesn't like them Laugh1
Hitler was evil, he wanted to control the world because he believed in some kind of superior race that were destined to rule the world or something, and that Jews were a race that should be exterminated because they were getting too strong and took control of the Economy.
Most people in Al Qaida are people whose families have been killed/tortured because of Americans/British/etc invading countries and not being careful of casualties. They want revenge as much as the Americans want revenge for what happened on 9/11.
Now, I am not saying they are right or anything, but to me the 2 sides are as disgusting.
I wonder how many people know how many women and Children die everyday because of Western countries trying to dictate how a country should run themselves. WHat gives them the right? Is anyone else invading the USA because they don't like the way The US Government runs its country?
What's worse, someone sending a plane to kill a few thousand people and admitting it, or a Government selling guns and financing rebel armies to make habitants of a country fight against each other so they can control economy and raw material/energy with the puppets they put in place?...
THere'S soooo many examples and yet people still eat the BSes. Fidel Castro/Che Guevara alone should be enough to not trust what the USA feeds the population.

Cheers

58Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 10:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not to reduce the scope of 9/11, but it pales in comparison to how many American lives were lost in WW2. And of course that pales in comparison to the Civil War, where Americans did a fantastic job of killing each other.

59Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Tue May 03, 2011 12:54 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Okay, let's take Americans out of the equation. Can you tell me why Al-Qaeda consistently attacks India? Why they support the militants in Pakistan who went and attacked a hotel and a jewish neighborhood in Bombay? How about the fact that they hijacked Indian Airlines in 1999 for almost a week until their 'brothers' in prison were let go, one of them being Mohammed Sheikh Ahmed who has been called the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks? Can you justify why a country, that's not occupying any part of Africa, Middle East, or Latin America gets continually attacked and bombarded with terror?

and yes I'm an Indian. I know America is definitely not flawless, and I don't condone the several invasions they've made over the years, but I don't understand either al qaeda's stand against the oppression when they're killing innocent people in INdia, many of which are hindus, christians, and muslims....can you give me a valid reason for that?

60Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Tue May 03, 2011 8:42 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would like to know what Gilbert Gottfried thinks of all this. He's quite a character.

61Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Tue May 03, 2011 9:47 am

Michallica wrote:

Okay, let's take Americans out of the equation. Can you tell me why Al-Qaeda consistently attacks India? Why they support the militants in Pakistan who went and attacked a hotel and a jewish neighborhood in Bombay? How about the fact that they hijacked Indian Airlines in 1999 for almost a week until their 'brothers' in prison were let go, one of them being Mohammed Sheikh Ahmed who has been called the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks? Can you justify why a country, that's not occupying any part of Africa, Middle East, or Latin America gets continually attacked and bombarded with terror?

and yes I'm an Indian. I know America is definitely not flawless, and I don't condone the several invasions they've made over the years, but I don't understand either al qaeda's stand against the oppression when they're killing innocent people in INdia, many of which are hindus, christians, and muslims....can you give me a valid reason for that?

Militant Islamic groups don't deferentiate between moderate Muslims (you know, the one who don't strap C4 to themselves and blow themselves up) and Hindus, Christians etc. Either you follow their belief system, or you are a heathen, to be killed or converted to Islam (or a stricter adherence to Islam in the case of Muslims). Now, do I know why India is attacked? No. I don't know enough about the country itself, or it's political climate to make any sort of guesses. As far as the Jewish hotel bombing, I don't think that needs any explanation as Jews and Muslims have been warring over territory for centuries.

I don't think anyone here is defending Al-Qaeda. All I (and perhaps others, but I won't speak for them) am saying is that Al-Qaeda and other groups like it definitely aren't attacking without what they perceive to be just cause. They have suffered too, at the hands of the West, namely America.

62Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Tue May 03, 2011 9:52 am

wprager wrote:Not to reduce the scope of 9/11, but it pales in comparison to how many American lives were lost in WW2. And of course that pales in comparison to the Civil War, where Americans did a fantastic job of killing each other.

And WWI, Vietnam, and Korea etc. The War on terror actually ranks 9th in terms of total deaths. And that figure includes all the military casualties from Iraq and Afghanistan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war#Wars_ranked_by_total_deaths

Last edited by hemlock on Tue May 03, 2011 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

63Bin Laden killed - Page 4 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Tue May 03, 2011 9:52 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I am actually from a Third world country

That's a little harsh for Aylmer

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum