GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bin Laden killed

+6
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
LeCaptain
Riprock
Ev
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 12:47 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:Who cares about this, 10 years after the fact? I don't buy for a second that the U.S. spent much time lately actually seeking Bin Laden out. The U.S. has bigger fish to fry than Bin Laden (who gave them the excuse to go back to Iraq), namely Iraqi oil.

The U.S. can put a smart bomb up an Arab's Donkey by remote but can't find Bin Laden for 10 years. Please.

He was one of the biggest mass-murderers in the history of the US. Who cares? Everyone (except you). I don't care to the point of dancing around, but I'm glad it's over.

32Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 12:48 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hillary Clinton's PC was dope man, she was tough as nails. "You can't outwait us, you can't run, we will find you." Awesome.

33Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 12:50 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:Who cares about this, 10 years after the fact? I don't buy for a second that the U.S. spent much time lately actually seeking Bin Laden out. The U.S. has bigger fish to fry than Bin Laden (who gave them the excuse to go back to Iraq), namely Iraqi oil.

The U.S. can put a smart bomb up an Arab's Donkey by remote but can't find Bin Laden for 10 years. Please.

He was one of the biggest mass-murderers in the history of the US. Who cares? Everyone (except you). I don't care to the point of dancing around, but I'm glad it's over.

Did anyone care when Philip Morris died?

34Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 1:30 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Are you frickin' kiddin' ?

35Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 1:32 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Why do you need to trivialize this ?

36Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 1:48 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

For the families of those killed in 9/11 - -the USS Cole & others -- this is justice.

But terrorism will still be there. Maybe slowly it will diminish. The rebellions in Syria, Libya and other countries in the middle east that are fighting against their 'leaders' to enable freedom for their countries. Many more will die in their fight... but they believe freedom is worth fighting for.

Just like those soldiers now in the middle east putting their lives on hold and in jeoprady to ensure freedom for all. Just like those in previous wars who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country and the freedom of it's people.

bin Laden has now realized -- no 72 virgins... just fire. He is burning in hell.

37Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 1:51 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

suspicious that they dumped his body already in the sea....

I also believe that there's a hell of alot of american propaganda glorifying this achievement, such as 'a women was killed in the firefight, but she was being used as a human shield'.....really? sounds a little too evil. You sure it wasn't just a casualty as a result of the raid where you are firing all around? I mean if friendly fire can happen, surely a bystander can be accidently killed, no? 'nope, she was being used as a human shield'. Okay then.

That said, I'm happy they finally killed him but by it taking 10 years, how many more groups and followers did these terrorists gain? I'm worried about the backlash to be honest. Really hope U.S. is on their toes for this.

38Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 1:57 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

That's really different. And he died in 1873. Now you're just trolling in a despicable fashion.

39Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 2:32 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:

Haha, I tell you I crapped myself when I first saw the headline, I thought it was Obama. It's gonna happen a lot I would guess.

Birch Barlow doesn't see the difference.

40Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 3:15 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

TheAvatar wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Not trivializing this at all. Bin Laden would be nothing if not for Big Oil. While I may not be convinced that he was trained by the CIA (or that the CIA had any *direct* involvement with Bin Laden, the simple fact of the matter is that there would be no terrorism to speak of if it were not for the West's reliance on Middle-East Oil, and the US constant meddling in the region. Why do we have not true alternative fuel options? Because Exxon-Mobil and the like are making billions in profits by selling gasoline. And, guess what, when there's unrest in the Middle East they justify the higher prices from which they double/triple their profits.

I'm not absolving Osama of anything, but if not for Oil, he'd be shaking a stick and throwing rocks.

41Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 3:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

That's really different. And he died in 1873. Now you're just trolling in a despicable fashion.

Yes, he died in 1873, but I was just using him as a figurehead. The same as Osama is nothing but a figurehead. if not him, there's lots of others to take his place. He wasn't an especially accomplished speaker, or a brilliant tactician. Just a guy with lots of money made from oil, and nothing to spend it on except hatred.
Are you seriously thinking that, if not for Osame, 9/11 would not have happened? You can just as easily point the finger at US Foreign Policy, or those idiots driving SUVs to the corner store.

42Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 5:01 pm

tim1_2 wrote:

Well, if you look at reactions all over the globe, apparently A LOT of people still cared. Your statement, "Who cares", is actually pretty ignorant. I bet a lot of people who lost loved ones on 9/11 probably care. Oh, and I care.

And if you read all the work that went into finding this somewhat isolated compound, you'd realize that they have been on this for a long time. Yeah, they may not have had all their resources dedicated to this, but then it likely isn't their #1 priority now.

I'll clarify my statement, just for you. I DON'T CARE. And I am not alone.

I don't believe for a minute that the work you are suggesting was actually done. If you recall, Bin Laden was forgotten, or a least put on the back burner, once the U.S. Government decided that it was in the world's (and by the world's I mean strictly their own) best interest to remove all the multitudes of WMDs in Iraq. The only reason anyone even paid Bin Laden any attention after the Iraq "war" started was when one of his videos popped up in the media.

I think it's good that he's dead. He deserves to die for the crimes he's committed. But after 10 years, he's old news for the vast majority of people. Certainly to the people affected by the 9/11 tragedy it's a big relief, but beyond that, Bin Laden has been out of the public psyche for a long time. I don't believe for a minute that even a half-assed effort on part of the U.S. Government would have taken 10 years. In fact, I'll go one further. I don't believe he even died recently. He was widely reported to have had kidney failure and other medical issues. Reportedly, he needed dialysis just to stay alive. So, do I think he managed to received treatment all while evading the mighty U.S. Government while living in a Dung hut in Pakistan? I'd say no. My personal belief is that he died some time ago, and this announcement, is like everything Governments do: Feed us what they want us to know, for their own purpose.

43Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 5:06 pm

wprager wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Not trivializing this at all. Bin Laden would be nothing if not for Big Oil. While I may not be convinced that he was trained by the CIA (or that the CIA had any *direct* involvement with Bin Laden, the simple fact of the matter is that there would be no terrorism to speak of if it were not for the West's reliance on Middle-East Oil, and the US constant meddling in the region. Why do we have not true alternative fuel options? Because Exxon-Mobil and the like are making billions in profits by selling gasoline. And, guess what, when there's unrest in the Middle East they justify the higher prices from which they double/triple their profits.

I'm not absolving Osama of anything, but if not for Oil, he'd be shaking a stick and throwing rocks.

We do have alternative fuel options. And not some unrealistic bio-diesel that would require more farmland than exists land to produce for the world's population. I'm talking about oils produced from other sources, such as algae, which self-replicates and would emit no emissions upon consuming it.

But yeah, I agree with you, we don't see things like that for the same reason we don't see Tesla's free energy alternatives today, because companies like Ford/Exxon etc buy them up and bury them.

Also, you're point is bang on imo, that any conflict against the U.S. from the Middle East is heavily due to the U.S. foreign policy.

44Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 5:31 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Well, if you look at reactions all over the globe, apparently A LOT of people still cared. Your statement, "Who cares", is actually pretty ignorant. I bet a lot of people who lost loved ones on 9/11 probably care. Oh, and I care.

And if you read all the work that went into finding this somewhat isolated compound, you'd realize that they have been on this for a long time. Yeah, they may not have had all their resources dedicated to this, but then it likely isn't their #1 priority now.

I don't believe for a minute that the work you are suggesting was actually done. If you recall, Bin Laden was forgotten, or a least put on the back burner, once the U.S. Government decided that it was in the world's (and by the world's I mean strictly their own) best interest to remove all the multitudes of WMDs in Iraq. The only reason anyone even paid Bin Laden any attention after the Iraq "war" started was when one of his videos popped up in the media.

I think it's good that he's dead. He deserves to die for the crimes he's committed. But after 10 years, he's old news for the vast majority of people. Certainly to the people affected by the 9/11 tragedy it's a big relief, but beyond that, Bin Laden has been out of the public psyche for a long time. I don't believe for a minute that even a half-assed effort on part of the U.S. Government would have taken 10 years. In fact, I'll go one further. I don't believe he even died recently. He was widely reported to have had kidney failure and other medical issues. Reportedly, he needed dialysis just to stay alive. So, do I think he managed to received treatment all while evading the mighty U.S. Government while living in a Dung hut in Pakistan? I'd say no. My personal belief is that he died some time ago, and this announcement, is like everything Governments do: Feed us what they want us to know, for their own purpose.

To the relatives of those killed in 9/11 (and that includes some Canadians) and to the US people... it did mean a hell of a lot. If a such a horrible act happened on Canadian soil... you would probably have a different view of this whole thing. But the thing is, it COULD happen in Canada. Bin Laden and his followers are a great danger to the free world.. and getting rid of him and anyone else in that gutless organization is a benefit to us.
He probably has been more of a figure head and money provider in later years.. having his minions do the dirty work. He was also someone who they used to recruit new members (so to speak).
But this is probably a bit hit to Al Qaeda financial wise if nothing else.
But there will be retribution... you can bet on that.
I'm for one am glad he is dead.

45Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 5:34 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I've given up on this thread. I find some of the responses too upsetting for words...

46Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

So then how did some random Pakistani live-tweet the raid without even knowing what was going on? A US chopper didn't crash there for reason.

Good lord some of these theories people have make you just shake your head.

47Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 6:39 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:I've given up on this thread. I find some of the responses too upsetting for words...

Agreed. It's pretty gross, actually. We weren't talking about oil or even POLITICS for that matter.

Anyway, if you think people don't care, look at the reactions by CITIZENS in the US today. They care. Watch "God Bless America" at the start of the Philly game tonight and tell me people don't care.

48Bin Laden killed - Page 3 Empty Re: Bin Laden killed Mon May 02, 2011 7:18 pm

sandysensfan wrote:
hemlock wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

To the relatives of those killed in 9/11 (and that includes some Canadians) and to the US people... it did mean a hell of a lot. If a such a horrible act happened on Canadian soil... you would probably have a different view of this whole thing. But the thing is, it COULD happen in Canada. Bin Laden and his followers are a great danger to the free world.. and getting rid of him and anyone else in that gutless organization is a benefit to us.
He probably has been more of a figure head and money provider in later years.. having his minions do the dirty work. He was also someone who they used to recruit new members (so to speak).
But this is probably a bit hit to Al Qaeda financial wise if nothing else.
But there will be retribution... you can bet on that.
I'm for one am glad he is dead.

I too am glad he's dead as I have said. Sure it COULD happen in Canada, but since we are a peacekeeping nation that doesn't make a habit of declaring illegal wars on countries and invading them, I don't see an attack on Canada as a realistic threat.

Bin Laden and his followers are a great danger to the free world huh? How about when Bin Laden, who had been trained and supplied by the U.S., fought the Soviets in Afghanistan? I'd argue that he was quite the opposite of a "great danger to the free world" back then. The point is, is that everything is relative to your POV.

As far as retribution goes, yes there will probably be some. But if the U.S. really wants to stop U.S. citizens from getting harmed, they ought to consider not using it's military clout to invade nations illegally. Their foreign policy practically invites terrorism.

As far as calling Al Qaeda gutless, well that too is all point of view. If you were a militant Islamist, you'd probably consider your actions to be as noble as could be.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum