GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011

+25
garblar
TheAvatar
Hobiesens
Number Twenty Nine
dennycrane
SensGirl11
Oglethorpe
Bramlet07
NEELY
Amnesia021
rooneypoo
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
sandysensfan
PTFlea
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
Flo The Action
spader
LeCaptain
Ev
SensHulk
shabbs
wprager
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 67]

376All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How do you leave your feet? Do they get left on the ice as your body flies through the air? Wink

Yeah, check out the video! It's the craziest thing I've ever seen!

Ahhhhh!

377All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:Seabrook out, Bolland in. Didn't realize Bolland was even close.

This will be a true test of how important the issue of concussions are to the NHL assuming Seabrook did sustain a concussion. No way he should be back this series if that's the case playoffs or not.

378All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
It’s weird Seabrook didn’t have to go the “quiet room” or whatever it’s called to be properly assessed. His synapses were quite clearly rearranged.

I think he went out on the ice after that and got hit again and then went to the quiet room.

379All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:36 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
No way he should be back this series if that's the case playoffs or not.

That's the thing, he won't play next game. Sarcasm

380All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

1 game suspension for Downie apparently.

381All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

...and 1 game for Kunitz.

382All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Looks like Colin Campbell's department has gone back to being a joke.

383All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:03 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Until they adopt a blanket rule for headshots, like the AHL has, this will continue. The GMs seem reluctant to go there. For now.

384All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:18 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:...and 1 game for Kunitz.

He certainly deserved more...

I can see getting 1 game for a questionable shoulder to the head on an otherwise good check…but Kunitz stuck his elbow waaaaaaay out with the sole purpose of elbowing someone in the head. That should certainly be more than one game. The NHL needs to use these clear-cut cases to set more of an example.

385All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, I agree. Not sure how Kunitz got away with only 1 game, but until the NHL makes a panel of former NHL legends - ie Stevie Y, Brendan Shanahan, Gretzky, Orr etc. to come up with the punishment, they'll get nowhere with some dude Colin Campbell doing it.

386All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:35 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

OK, finally saw the video of the Downie hit and the Kunitz elbow. I gotta say, Downie certainly does leap before he hits Lovejoy, so discipline was very warranted. The Kunitz elbow was brutal and clearly intentional. Personally, I think Kunitz should have gotten more than one game.

At any rate... keep yer head up behind there...

387All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:OK, finally saw the video of the Downie hit and the Kunitz elbow. I gotta say, Downie certainly does leap before he hits Lovejoy, so discipline was very warranted. The Kunitz elbow was brutal and clearly intentional. Personally, I think Kunitz should have gotten more than one game.

At any rate... keep yer head up behind there...

To hear it talked about on the radio I was half expecting him to get the rest of the playoffs.

Now, here's a thought. They don't get paid (at least not per-game) in the playoffs, and the team can carry an expanded roster. Unless the suspension is to a top player, where is the "ouch"? When a guy gets suspended for 10 games during the regular season he loses 12.5% of his base pay -- that's substantial. When he gets tossed for a couple of games in the playoffs and is replaced by another plug, the "other plug" gets to put a playoff game on his resume, and that's about it for consequences.

I'd suggest they either hand out a suspension that carries over into the regular season (e.g. 1 playoff game and 4 regular season games) or they fine them the corresponding amount.

And here is another suggestion -- if you hurt someone on an illegal play, you get tossed for the duration of the injury. That would bring the elbows down in a hurry. No problem with legal hits, so don't tell me you might as well make it shinny.

388All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:

I can see getting 1 game for a questionable shoulder to the head on an otherwise good check…but Kunitz stuck his elbow waaaaaaay out with the sole purpose of elbowing someone in the head. That should certainly be more than one game. The NHL needs to use these clear-cut cases to set more of an example.

I don't know if he did it on purpose. He admitted that it was a terrible elbow though.

389All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How do you leave your feet? Do they get left on the ice as your body flies through the air? Wink
Heh. Good point... wonder where the term started...

Like "taking a crap / pee." I don't know about you, but I don't take those things anywhere. I leave them.

Or buying beer.

You're actually only renting it for a while.

390All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I don't know if he did it on purpose. He admitted that it was a terrible elbow though.
You're kidding right?

391All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

You're kidding right?

I'm going off his word. It doesn't sound like a guy who wanted to decapitate Gagne. He knew what happened was wrong.

"My arm was in a bad spot," Kunitz admitted. "(Gagne) stretched out, I went to brush him in the shoulder and got him in the head. Not very responsible on my part. I pride myself on playing hard, but within the rules. You don't want to leave your team short a man."

392All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:04 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ha. "Going off his word" seems a bit generous considering the available video. Kunitz reached out with his elbow to contact Gagne's head. I don't see another way of reading that "play." Sure, he knew it was wrong, but he did it anyway.

"My arm was in a bad spot." Was that before or after he made an obvious motion towards Gagne's head? Laugh1

393All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 - Page 26 Empty Re: All Playoff Talk, All the Time 2011 Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:05 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The punishment fit the crime.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum