GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hartsburg speaks

+6
Cronie
jamvan
Sens4thecup
smash88
beerandsens
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Hartsburg speaks Empty Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:49 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

After the 2 games in Sweden, Hartsburg spoke on the Team 1200. I ran to grab my radio at work, wrote it down quickly, then forgot to post it here after all that. :D

The gist was:

Going in the right direction - would've liked to get all 4 points - though we played well enough to legitimately get all 4. Through the practice regimes before the games in Sweden, he feels we're making steps forward.

Hard skate today (which would've been yesterday) and off ice training today - and then individual meetings with players after that. He wants (nix that, he'll get) 2 more hard practices before Saturday's game.

Going to Sweden, the biggest thing to adjust to was the time difference. Guys were mature enough to get into the swing quickly and adjusted well.

No disputing that Martin Gerber is the "number one guy".

After the first goal, feels that Gerber made huge saves that kept the team in the game - especially during the 5 straight penalties called against us. From what he's seen in practice and early in the year - we should get good goaltending.

We want to be a nightmare to play against - he doesn't want teams to have a nice time when they play us. Complimented Ruutu several times in this. Loves his game, loves his competitive edge, loves what he brings. Confessed to not knowing that Ruutu brought as much to the table as he does.

Must be an honest team! Compete for the puck at all times and be strong on puck when have it. He feels that a major key will be ensuring that everyone buys into that - he wants them practicing this in their sleep (LOL).

He glowed about Jesse Winschester. Says that each and every game he played, he got better - which culminated in an outstanding play on Vermettes goal. He believes that Winchester will continue to improve and grow - but he's already taking massive steps. Loves that he is strong along the boards as well. NHL player - and a good one.

From the minute camp started, he feels Dany Heatley has been outstanding. He wants to do whatever he can (more) to help the team and become a total player (well-rounded)

Loved the PK. Said guys caught on to what he wanted quickly with: "smart pressure, blocking shots, active sticks in lanes". He wants the team to be one of the, if not the top PKing team in the league.

Can't wait to have Fisher back. He thinks Saturday, fingers crossed. Fisher is skating on his own - and he says he looks good.

Kuba and Picard were 'outstanding'. Thank gosh for the trade that brought him two massive bodies on the back end. Other defense was real good - especially adapting to different partners. These are a group that will always compete hard and allow for smart puck movement. Jason Smith is a powerful figure on the ice and hard to intimidate. He loves the way he competes.

Picard is a full time NHLer that has a big body and is smart with the puck. Ideally Picard will get more and more ice time as the season progresses until he's in the 20 minute range. Thinks he will open a lot of eyes in Ottawa.

2Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:08 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Great accolades from the man behind the bench. He touched on a lot of good points. I'm happy to hear that he is honestly happy with our on ice product in many ways. Since Murray is primarily a GM now, most of the feedback he's giving is related to the pieces of the puzzle that we still need. Hartsburg's opinion gives me the impression that by the end of the season everyone will understand that the Sens are deeper than the big three, a criticism we've been hearing for too long.

3Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:13 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

beerandsens wrote:Great accolades from the man behind the bench. He touched on a lot of good points. I'm happy to hear that he is honestly happy with our on ice product in many ways. Since Murray is primarily a GM now, most of the feedback he's giving is related to the pieces of the puzzle that we still need. Hartsburg's opinion gives me the impression that by the end of the season everyone will understand that the Sens are deeper than the big three, a criticism we've been hearing for too long.

I like what I hear, and I hope he is right!

4Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:14 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

beerandsens wrote:Great accolades from the man behind the bench. He touched on a lot of good points. I'm happy to hear that he is honestly happy with our on ice product in many ways. Since Murray is primarily a GM now, most of the feedback he's giving is related to the pieces of the puzzle that we still need. Hartsburg's opinion gives me the impression that by the end of the season everyone will understand that the Sens are deeper than the big three, a criticism we've been hearing for too long.

Yeah, I love that he seems happy, but he knows that these guys are hungry and he's gonna exploit that to make them hard to play against every night - not just once in a while! I love it (so far).

5Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:18 am

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Just a quick question, why was Bass sent down to Bingo? I thought he had a great camp?

6Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:20 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Sens4thecup wrote:Just a quick question, why was Bass sent down to Bingo? I thought he had a great camp?
It's a money and contract thing. He doesn't have to pass through waivers and gets paid a minor league salary.

7Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:24 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass was sent down to accomodate Fisher's return to the lineup...

Oh, and great summary Heater! I missed that interview so I'm glad you caught it and posted it here.

Hartsburg is renewing my confidence in his skills and hockey know-how each and every day, and I LOVE the fact that the boys are listening to him; as I was afraid with 2 coaches in 2 years, they may be apt to tune yet another one out. Plus, when I was doing some research on Hartsburg and his playing career (as you and I discussed briefly Heater) I am STILL amazed at his totals, and with his veteranship, and his vision of where he KNOWS this team can be, I think (or rather HOPE) the Sens will dispel a LOT of negatives this season and could turn a few heads.

8Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hartsburg's best season as a D-man in Minny he scored 77 points - that's what blew Cronie and I away. affraid

9Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:46 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Hartsburg's best season as a D-man in Minny he scored 77 points - that's what blew Cronie and I away. affraid

Yeah, I never realized he was that good....

10Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:29 pm

bluewhiteandgolf

bluewhiteandgolf
Prospect
Prospect

I know he's been bashed a lot on here, but imagine if Fish comes back healthy, this system is designed for a player like him...

11Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:32 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

bluewhiteandgolf wrote:I know he's been bashed a lot on here, but imagine if Fish comes back healthy, this system is designed for a player like him...

Yes indeed! I can't believe we played the way we did without one of our grittiest, toughest, coolest players on the roster.

Why does Fish get bashed here? 4.2 for a third line center kind of thing, I guess. But we can all see what Hartsburg is doing, so to echo what you said, he'll fit into this system like a glove.

12Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Solution, put Fisher on 2nd line and Vermette on 3rd line... then your 3rd line C makes less than your 2nd line center. Or move Kelly to 3rd line and Fisher to 2nd line win/center? Tah dah.....

13Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Exactly, and that's why I hope they don't rush him back only to re-injure himself. I want him back 110% and rarin' to go.

14Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:40 pm

bluewhiteandgolf

bluewhiteandgolf
Prospect
Prospect

504Heater wrote:
bluewhiteandgolf wrote:I know he's been bashed a lot on here, but imagine if Fish comes back healthy, this system is designed for a player like him...

Yes indeed! I can't believe we played the way we did without one of our grittiest, toughest, coolest players on the roster.

Why does Fish get bashed here? 4.2 for a third line center kind of thing, I guess. But we can all see what Hartsburg is doing, so to echo what you said, he'll fit into this system like a glove.

I think a line with Fish/Vermette/Winchester would surprise a lot of people. Get Vermette to take the face-offs and the switch to wing. Fishers got the cannon, Vermette hands with Winchester who just seems to get better. Then toss out Foligno/Kelly/Ruutu and Shub/Bass(McCammond)/Neil look out!(especially you Redden)

15Hartsburg speaks Empty Re: Hartsburg speaks Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:49 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:

I believes its the 4.2 for a player who was injury prone. With every passing game he doesnt play there is a cheap player like Bass who could play in his spot and gain experience. So why not move that salary if you aren't getting full value and get yourself a stud D-man this year or a bonafide #1 goalie. Now if he stay realively injury free this year then I can understand keeping him but if not it may be time to move on. I really do think this year is a big year for him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum