GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Plasma TV

+11
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
wprager
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 16]

196New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:12 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Netflix and Prime built in. That'll be more important when I get it hanging downstairs (I've got my Roku in the bedroom).

Also downstairs it will be wired. I think the reason I want completely blown away by Planet Earth 4K was the wifi.

197New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Netflix and Prime built in. That'll be more important when I get it hanging downstairs (I've got my Roku in the bedroom).

Also downstairs it will be wired. I think the reason I want completely blown away by Planet Earth 4K was the wifi.

I don't know if you plan on buying one, as it's not necessary right now, but 4K blu rays are much better than streaming 4k.

198New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:05 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Netflix and Prime built in. That'll be more important when I get it hanging downstairs (I've got my Roku in the bedroom).

I don't know if you plan on buying one, as it's not necessary right now, but 4K blu rays are much better than streaming 4k.

But then you would need 4K Blu Rays? Physical media should go bye bye.

199New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:

But then you would need 4K Blu Rays?  Physical media should go bye bye.

I’ll take quality over streaming. Discs are quality.

200New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I hardly watch any movies any more. I certainly don't but any more. Last shiny disk I got was Mary Poppins on Blu Ray - it was a Christmas present a year or two ago.

201New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Watching Team Canada now. Looks HD.  I didn't expect it to look any better, I'm just glad it doesn't look worse. I don't know how you can screw up upscaling to 4k (just double quadruple each pixel) but some sets are known for being pretty poor at up-scaling. We were picking up a media stand at Leon's a few weeks ago and I checked their TVs. Several 4k sets had TSN HD on, and it looked really bad. And done of those sets were not RCA or Sanyo (I think there was even a Sony in the mix).

Anyhow, HD looks good. Maybe I can play with the settings and see if Motion Rate 360 makes any difference.

202New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Watching Team Canada now. Looks HD.  I didn't expect it to look any better, I'm just glad it doesn't look worse. I don't know how you can screw up upscaling to 4k (just double quadruple each pixel) but some sets are known for being pretty poor at up-scaling. We were picking up a media stand at Leon's a few weeks ago and I checked their TVs. Several 4k sets had TSN HD on, and it looked really bad. And done of those sets were not RCA or Sanyo (I think there was even a Sony in the mix).

Anyhow, HD looks good. Maybe I can play with the settings and see if Motion Rate 360 makes any difference.

I have the actual tsn 4K channel and it looks great. TV channels won’t look great because they aren’t even 1080p. Especially on crappy store model settings. Check out rtings.com who will have settings for your tv

203New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry, not Motion Rate (I think that's Samsung). Vizio calls theirs Clear Action. But because it's only a 60 Hz display they play with the backlight instead of using the native 120 Hz to interpolate and insert a new frame. This doesn't produce the soap opera when I hate but I also did not see any noticeable improvement. Picture is less bright, overall, as the backlight is repeatedly turned off.

My old set is a 120Hz so its motion interpolation results in a pretty strong soap opera effect.

204New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:35 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:

I have the actual tsn 4K channel and it looks great. TV channels won’t look great because they aren’t even 1080p. Especially on crappy store model settings. Check out rtings.com who will have settings for your tv

I won't be able to get TSN 4k without paying extra for a 4k capable box. That's not gonna happen.

What settings are you taking about? Are you saying rtings.com has calibration strings? Where? I remember finding calibration settings got my old set and, to be frank, they weren't any better than what I got just playing with the various settings.

205New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:20 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Hey, it's SSF!  Welcome back, old friend!  Hope all is well.

Could be better, could be worse. Smile

StickmanDancing

206New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:21 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I got a Roku "stick". I guess it doesn't do 4K but does pretty much all else. Stick it on behind the tv, the remote doesn't need line of sight. Just $50.

The tv itself comes with a built in Chromecast. Ugh. But at least we all have Android phone phone's, and they have a sw upgrade so launching apps like Netflix uses the tv remote and menus.

The P-series is DLNA.

I was going for the stick but they were out of those. I overspent because I wanted something right away. I regret nothing... Laugh1

207New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:23 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:

I won't be able to get TSN 4k without paying extra for a 4k capable box. That's not gonna happen.

What settings are you taking about? Are you saying rtings.com has calibration strings? Where?  I remember finding calibration settings got my old set and, to be frank, they weren't any better than what I got just playing with the various settings.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-xled-2017/settings

208New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:36 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:I got a Roku "stick". I guess it doesn't do 4K but does pretty much all else. Stick it on behind the tv, the remote doesn't need line of sight. Just $50.

The tv itself comes with a built in Chromecast. Ugh. But at least we all have Android phone phone's, and they have a sw upgrade so launching apps like Netflix uses the tv remote and menus.

The P-series is DLNA.

I was going for the stick but they were out of those. I overspent because I wanted something right away. I regret nothing... Laugh1

I have two Roku boxes and they are great. Even better when you start running Plex on your PC to handle all your "downloaded media" and then getting the Plex app on the Roku.

209New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I love Roku.

Buuuut....

There is no Crave TV app, no Amazon Prime (which is weird, because they have it on Roku in the US), and no streaming of generic web content.

210New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, the new TV is finally having in the family room. And the 55" is in the bedroom. I won't have trouble reading the guide.

211New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

The P-series is DLNA.

I have two Roku boxes and they are great.  Even better when you start running Plex on your PC to handle all your "downloaded media" and then getting the Plex app on the Roku.

I feel like a fool for not finding this thing sooner. I really like Spaghetti Westerns and this gives me access to about 100. So far all are nice widescreen prints. Also, it works great for NHL.tv which is the main reason I got it.

212New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:08 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Anyone have experience with cheaper sound bars? I liked the doing of the Bose Solo at Costco, but the price jumped about $40 and I don't think the sound difference is worth it. It's also like to get a little more separation.

Does anyone have experience with sooner of the cheaper sound bars out there? I would probably just stick with the older LG bar we have (with wireless sub) but I can't get it to work with the Rogers remote.

213New Plasma TV - Page 14 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I bought this super cheap Samsung sound bar two years ago for my bedroom TV and it's done the job very nicely:  http://secure1.ncix.com/products/?sku=106588   (Samsung HW-J250)

It's certainly nothing fancy, but does have Bluetooth which has been helpful a couple times.  I think I paid about $120 on sale.

If you want to check out a decent online store for home theatre stuff, including sound bars, Gibbys is actually pretty good:

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product-category/tv-video/tv-sound/sound-bars/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum