GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Plasma TV

+11
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
wprager
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 16]

211New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:I got a Roku "stick". I guess it doesn't do 4K but does pretty much all else. Stick it on behind the tv, the remote doesn't need line of sight. Just $50.

The tv itself comes with a built in Chromecast. Ugh. But at least we all have Android phone phone's, and they have a sw upgrade so launching apps like Netflix uses the tv remote and menus.

The P-series is DLNA.

I was going for the stick but they were out of those. I overspent because I wanted something right away. I regret nothing... Laugh1

I have two Roku boxes and they are great.  Even better when you start running Plex on your PC to handle all your "downloaded media" and then getting the Plex app on the Roku.

I feel like a fool for not finding this thing sooner. I really like Spaghetti Westerns and this gives me access to about 100. So far all are nice widescreen prints. Also, it works great for NHL.tv which is the main reason I got it.

212New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:08 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Anyone have experience with cheaper sound bars? I liked the doing of the Bose Solo at Costco, but the price jumped about $40 and I don't think the sound difference is worth it. It's also like to get a little more separation.

Does anyone have experience with sooner of the cheaper sound bars out there? I would probably just stick with the older LG bar we have (with wireless sub) but I can't get it to work with the Rogers remote.

213New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I bought this super cheap Samsung sound bar two years ago for my bedroom TV and it's done the job very nicely:  http://secure1.ncix.com/products/?sku=106588   (Samsung HW-J250)

It's certainly nothing fancy, but does have Bluetooth which has been helpful a couple times.  I think I paid about $120 on sale.

If you want to check out a decent online store for home theatre stuff, including sound bars, Gibbys is actually pretty good:

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product-category/tv-video/tv-sound/sound-bars/

214New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cool. Your model is $150. And an open box HW-K360 for just $130 and free shipping.

215New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:00 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Cool. Your model is $150.  And an open box HW-K360 for just $130 and free shipping.

Did you end up ordering one?

I've ordered a refurb receiver from there before that was about half retail price and it's still working great.

216New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:26 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Haven't pulled the trigger yet. I found instructions on how to get my old LG sound bar working with my Rogers remote. The automatic configuration didn't work but entering a code manually (once I got the right one) was perfect. Then I changed the remote setting to assign volume control buttons to the sound bar and also to turn it on/off with the main "Watch cable" button. It's working better than it ever did before (we always had to use the sound bar remote, which became difficult when all the button markings wore off).

I will still need a bar for the new TV (the LG sound bar is in the bedroom now) but I'm leaning to getting a Vizio to better match the tv profile.

More immediate issue is mounting the LG. All the brackets I've seen to date have holes. You either put a bolt through a hole into a matching"socket" on the bar, or you use a bolt and two nuts to make a knob on the bracket, then hang the bar on the knobs.

But this bar has knobs itself, so it needs a hole in the bracket to hang on to (a larger hole to get the knob through, which then slides to a smaller hole to lock the knob in place).

Haven't found a bracket that does that, yet. I can get a special LG bracket, but that's for wall mounting. Maybe I could figure out how to attach the wall mount bracket to the speaker mounting bracket but that doubles the cost.

217New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Got a used AppleTV 2 from a guy at work.  Now I can watch Letterkenny! Still no CraveTV channel for Roku.

Is there anything else interesting I can do with an AppleTV box?

218New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I've looked at a few sound bars at Costco and most of them seem to be the table top type, meaning you can't hang them below your tv with those universal brackets that attach to the VESA mount holes.

219New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Oled bro . It will be $1800 or less on Boxing Day

Hmm, the 55" currently in our bedroom will move to the basement, once that's finished, so I'll be looking for a new set.  Wonder how long before OLED drops to LED prices.

220New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:40 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So 9+ years after I bought my 60" LG plasma, I'm upgrading again. Just pulled the trigger on an 85" Sony LED X900H. The screen size is a BIG increase from my LG, but my viewing distance is pretty far away, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure what to expect with 4K vs my LG which is 1080p, but I expect only good things! It's too bad most hockey broadcasts are still stuck at 720p, but what can ya do.

221New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:So 9+ years after I bought my 60" LG plasma, I'm upgrading again.  Just pulled the trigger on an 85" Sony LED X900H.  The screen size is a BIG increase from my LG, but my viewing distance is pretty far away, so I'm looking forward to it.  I'm not sure what to expect with 4K vs my LG which is 1080p, but I expect only good things!  It's too bad most hockey broadcasts are still stuck at 720p, but what can ya do.

HDR is the biggest difference, but 4K is also noticeable especially when they do broadcast some games in 4K. How far away are you sitting?

222New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:39 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:So 9+ years after I bought my 60" LG plasma, I'm upgrading again.  Just pulled the trigger on an 85" Sony LED X900H.  The screen size is a BIG increase from my LG, but my viewing distance is pretty far away, so I'm looking forward to it.  I'm not sure what to expect with 4K vs my LG which is 1080p, but I expect only good things!  It's too bad most hockey broadcasts are still stuck at 720p, but what can ya do.

HDR is the biggest difference, but 4K is also noticeable especially when they do broadcast some games in 4K. How far away are you sitting?

I'm around 14 feet away. Yeah, I'm looking forward to HDR.

223New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Have you checked out Rtings.com? Great site for picture settings

I have the X900E and it’s been great. Almost three years now. I want an OLED but this will suffice for now

224New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:40 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, rtings is where I did most of my research. It is a really good site for reviews and picture settings. The X900H hit the sweet spot of price vs performance for me.

225New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:07 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So I'm blown away by how awesome the picture and everything else is with my new TV. 4K really is incredible, and the 1080p stuff looks great too.

226New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:11 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:So I'm blown away by how awesome the picture and everything else is with my new TV.  4K really is incredible, and the 1080p stuff looks great too.  

Nice man!

227New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:42 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Tim how's the X900H going? I might be looking to get one as I am getting the new Xbox as well.

228New Plasma TV - Page 15 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:55 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Tim how's the X900H going? I might be looking to get one as I am getting the new Xbox as well.

Man, it is awesome. Zero issues, I just keep being impressed with how nice the picture is. The one knock against it is apparently viewing angles, but my room is configured such that most of the viewing is pretty much straight-on.

You've probably been to RTings before, but here's the link to their X900H review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900h

It's also my first "Smart TV", and I am very impressed with the Android TV interface. Once you push the power button, it's on and ready to go in about a second. All the apps available via the Google store coupled with the ability to cast stuff from my phone directly to the TV means I don't need a PC or Roku hooked up to the TV anymore.

Anyway, I would certainly buy it again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum