GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Future of....Bryan Murray & Cory Clouston

+16
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Flo The Action
rooneypoo
asq2
Tuk Tuk
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
ddt
dennycrane
jawal
LeCaptain
PTFlea
Ev
NEELY
SensHulk
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Don't shoot the messenger, that's what the entire TSN panel agreed to. BM does have some success building, but all the teams start doing well once he leaves, and not all of it is because of him only (Anaheim was partly his but more of Burke's doing because of the D he assembled).

Plus like I've said before, age is catching up to him. Don't know if he can still do the job after this season, maybe 1 more max if he comes back as GM.

He'll retain his role as President or whatever else he has.

Give me Getzlaf, Perry and Penner on entry level contracts and I'm gonna sign you Niedermeyer's bro.
Now, which of Muckler's picks led the team in playoffs points since the lockout? I can't blame Murray for patching holes on this team so that's why I don't mind having him back. In fact, I want him back.
Proonger and Beauchemin were sure awesome acquisitions, but when you have basement well built, finishing the house is way easier.

Last edited by marakh on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

jawal

Rookie
Rookie

Michallica wrote:you guys actually think murray would/should be allowed to find another head coach?

No. Despite Murray's past success, a big negative mark on his Ottawa service is his choice of head coaches. Paddock and Hartsburg were disasters. Clouston is a good coach IMO but wrong coach at this time for Ottawa.

I think Murray will be promoted to VP in charge of hockey operations, the Sens get a new GM and the new GM hires new coach.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

jawal wrote:
Michallica wrote:you guys actually think murray would/should be allowed to find another head coach?

No. Despite Murray's past success, a big negative mark on his Ottawa service is his choice of head coaches. Paddock and Hartsburg were disasters. Clouston is a good coach IMO but wrong coach at this time for Ottawa.

I think Murray will be promoted to VP in charge of hockey operations, the Sens get a new GM and the new GM hires new coach.

I don't mind this, as long as no Burke all talk no substance GM comes in and wants to win a cup right away.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Don't shoot the messenger, that's what the entire TSN panel agreed to. BM does have some success building, but all the teams start doing well once he leaves, and not all of it is because of him only (Anaheim was partly his but more of Burke's doing because of the D he assembled).

Plus like I've said before, age is catching up to him. Don't know if he can still do the job after this season, maybe 1 more max if he comes back as GM.

Give me Getzlaf, Perry and Penner on entry level contracts and I'm gonna sign you Niedermeyer's bro.
Now, which of Muckler's picks led the team in playoffs points since the lockout? I can't blame Murray for patching holes on this team so that's why I don't mind having him back. In fact, I want him back.
Proonger and Beauchemin were sure awesome acquisitions, but when you have basement well built, finishing the house is way easier.

So basically Murray is not a finisher. He couldn't get the job done in Anaheim, so they replaced him. Burke got it done and he deserves a ton of credit. He has actually won something, which Murray never has.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
marakh wrote:

So basically Murray is not a finisher. He couldn't get the job done in Anaheim, so they replaced him. Burke got it done and he deserves a ton of credit. He has actually won something, which Murray never has.

Murray wasn't replaced, he resigned to get closer to home during the lockout.
He signed Dustin Penner (I think) and drafted Getzlaf and Perry. Those guys started playing only after he left. And like Neely said, got Smid and Lupul at the draft.
I don't think he's perfect, but I don't see any perfect GM in the league. The hockey world is kneeing before Ken Holland, who basically makes one trade a year. Why? because he doesn't need to. All he needs to do is draft well and have an awesome coach who btw was brought in the league by Bryan Murray.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

There was a report in the Globe around the end of January essentially outlining what the Sens would do. To this point, the article has described the exact actions so far. The end of the article had Clouston leaving and Murray remaining a part of the front office team but not the GM.

Acquiring Anderson has made Murray look good now but bad for starting with Leclaire/Elliott. Anderson is also making Clouston look better. I still think it unlikely Clouston returns, but I would put it at 30% now as opposed to 0.0001 % on Jan. 1st. Murray is 50/50 in my books. I think Clouston could be back on a 1 year deal with a different set of assistants.

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

Michallica wrote:Anyone else getting the sense that the Euge is gonna re-sign this guy to another year as GM? I certainly am. He's been given the keys to so many key decisions that its gotta be a gentleman's agreement that he's coming back as GM.

Do I mind it? Not so much...but I want this fresh start to come asap. This means the coach. If Murray comes back, does it make sense for him to go find another coach? We know Murray is not going to be around for too long, but Clouston's contract is up after this season. Seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll be gone but I digress....what sense does it make to hire somebody new only to get rid of him when a new GM comes in?

That has crossed my mind on many occasions, but I keep coming back to the same two things. If Murray is the guy going forward, why were all the trades for picks, and not any prospects? And why has he not received an extension? I mean, if they had a gentlemen's agreement as you suggest, why not make it official? Seems odd to me.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Murray's trade for Anderson shows he can win a trade, although it's Sherman who wanted Elliott, BM did originally call asking about Anderson.

I'm really weary of getting a (one step forward two steps back) GM. Murray's been rebuilding the team since he got here while trying to keep us competitive. Not an easy thing to do.

Sometimes I wonder what an acceptable failure rate for an NHL GM is, I can't think of a single GM whose moves pan out except Ken Holland.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If he stays, does he really get to choose another coach though? That's starting to get a little silly - although, I love the way Kurt Kleinendorst treats his players in Bingo, but I think we better leave him down there for the moment.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Murray's trade for Anderson shows he can win a trade, although it's Sherman who wanted Elliott, BM did originally call asking about Anderson.

I'm really weary of getting a (one step forward two steps back) GM. Murray's been rebuilding the team since he got here while trying to keep us competitive. Not an easy thing to do.

Sometimes I wonder what an acceptable failure rate for an NHL GM is, I can't think of a single GM whose moves pan out except Ken Holland.

The only thing I would worry a little about would be Murray's age, but he's the guy to mold the future of the franchise for another year or two tops, then bring in someone to finish it and let Murray get a token front office position. That's my opinion, but I really like Bryan Murray and I know a lot of people don't.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:Murray's trade for Anderson shows he can win a trade, although it's Sherman who wanted Elliott, BM did originally call asking about Anderson.

Like I said, how many trades does Holland do? Not a lot. The organization just develops players well and they have an awesome coach, that's it.

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

marakh wrote:Like I said, how many trades does Holland do? Not a lot. The organization just develops players well and they have an awesome coach, that's it.

Well, the awesome coach part kinda worries me right now... Laugh1

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:

Like I said, how many trades does Holland do? Not a lot. The organization just develops players well and they have an awesome coach, that's it.

Yeah yeah, I'm tired of hearing about the Red Wings. The model franchise blah blah.

Oh and, I could coach that team and they would still be up there in the standings.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
marakh wrote:

Yeah yeah, I'm tired of hearing about the Red Wings. The model franchise blah blah.

Oh and, I could coach that team and they would still be up there in the standings.

I guess you could coach that 2003 Anaheim team to the SCF game 7 too? babcock is excellent, he gets the best out of his players every single night and it's pretty obvious to see.

Last edited by marakh on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
marakh wrote:

I guess you could coach that 2003 Anaheim team to the SCF game 7 too?

Probably. That was all Giguere.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

He was crazy great, but the system was amazing. Just like Montreal's system last year.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:

Not all of Holland's moves have panned out either.

He let Leino go for almost nothing (cap reasons)
Signing Nabakov didn't work
I don't think Modano has worked out all that well\

Murray made trades because we had no other choices. I'm willing to bet Murray's successor takes a lot of credit for Murray's moves.

My biggest concern with letting BM go is the Sens have a good operation going (supposedly hiring more scouts) and putting in an outsider GM may cause a few people to leave.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Like I said if he's retained in some advisory whatever role that would be great. Just to ensure the replacement doesn't start trading away the prospects.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum