GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tory leader promises $1 beer

+5
shabbs
tim1_2
spader
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:28 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I buy my beer in Quebec. Waaaaaaaay cheaper to sustain my drinking habit.

Not everyone in Ontario has that luxury.

If you own a car and drink a moderate amount of beer, then you’re better served buying your beer in Quebec, a few cases at a time. It’s almost half price in some instances.

Of course, I work in Quebec, so this is very easy for me to say.

All I was trying to say is not everyone lives a reasonable distance from Quebec because Ontario is a very large province after all.

17Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:I buy my beer in Quebec. Waaaaaaaay cheaper to sustain my drinking habit.

That should be a reason for McGuinty (provincial) to drop the minimum price. They are losing tax revenues to Quebec. And I don't mean just yours, Tim Smile

18Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Would I be wrong to suggest that, drinking beer and alcohol, just like many other things, may be considered a luxury? And that perhaps if some families are suffering with financial problems, perhaps alcohol isn't the best place to be spending your limited amount of money?

This is ,afterall, a major reason prohibition was put into motion. Men were blowing their paychecks at the bar and leaving nothing for their family to live on, meanwhile alcoholism was causing major turmoil.

Luxury? Pfft. Laughing3 That's like saying Caffeine is a luxury for parents of a new born. Wink

19Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:54 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Luxury? Pfft. Laughing3 That's like saying Caffeine is a luxury for parents of a new born. Wink

+1

I consider my beer a regular monthly expense like gas, electricity, and groceries. I don’t really have significant enough cash flow issues where I have to start cutting things out of my life, but I’m pretty sure I’d cancel my car and house insurance before I gave up beer!

20Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:13 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:Would I be wrong to suggest that, drinking beer and alcohol, just like many other things, may be considered a luxury? And that perhaps if some families are suffering with financial problems, perhaps alcohol isn't the best place to be spending your limited amount of money?

This is ,afterall, a major reason prohibition was put into motion. Men were blowing their paychecks at the bar and leaving nothing for their family to live on, meanwhile alcoholism was causing major turmoil.

True, but the point is to lower consumption to a moderate amount -- remember, everything in moderation, including moderation. Raising prices is one way, prohibition is something completely different -- they were not trying to lower consumption, but to stop it entirely.

21Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:Costco isn't bad, but Super C has great sales frequently, and a little hole-in-the-wall corner store dubbed "The King of Beer" is even better...especially with the selection.

You gotta be careful though. In Quebec, the posted price of beer is always before taxes ... it's not that Cheap.

22Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:57 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Costco isn't bad, but Super C has great sales frequently, and a little hole-in-the-wall corner store dubbed "The King of Beer" is even better...especially with the selection.

You gotta be careful though. In Quebec, the posted price of beer is always before taxes ... it's not that Cheap.

When Super C has their beer on sale, I can get a case of Keith's for about $28, including tax. Compare that to $40+ish in Ontario.

Or a case of Coors Light for $26, including tax. Or Blue for $26, including tax. It's definitely WAY cheaper.

23Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

tim1_2 wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

When Super C has their beer on sale, I can get a case of Keith's for about $28, including tax. Compare that to $40+ish in Ontario.

Or a case of Coors Light for $26, including tax. Or Blue for $26, including tax. It's definitely WAY cheaper.
A case of Blue at The Beer Store is $29.95 (incl. tax and deposit), so not a huge difference, but a difference none the less.

24Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:15 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I thought Blue was more expensive...my bad. But the savings on "premium" beer like Corona and Keiths is where it's at.

25Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:17 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

tim1_2 wrote:I thought Blue was more expensive...my bad. But the savings on "premium" beer like Corona and Keiths is where it's at.
For sure. I too thought Blue was up there... I guess they've adjusted their price recently. A case of Labatt 50 is $39.95. That ain't right.

26Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Don't drink. Don't care.

The people saying that beer isn't a luxury surely must be joking right? If cigarettes are a luxury and are taxed accordingly, so should booze.

Actually, none of it should be taxed, but if you tax one (cigarettes) you should tax it all.

27Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:30 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Funny thing is, I just happened to hear a US news item on the radio this morning talking about raising the price of booze to curtail alcoholism in the US.

28Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:41 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

All this beer talk is making me thirsty...

Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Homer_beer

29Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:Don't drink. Don't care.

The people saying that beer isn't a luxury surely must be joking right? If cigarettes are a luxury and are taxed accordingly, so should booze.

Actually, none of it should be taxed, but if you tax one (cigarettes) you should tax it all.

I was joking. Pretty sure Tim was too but I can't speak for him. I pretty much never drink. I can't say never because once every few months I might have a beer or some wine.

30Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:52 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I never joke about beer.

31Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:34 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mmmmmmmm beer.

32Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
hemlock wrote:Don't drink. Don't care.

I was joking. Pretty sure Tim was too but I can't speak for him. I pretty much never drink. I can't say never because once every few months I might have a beer or some wine.

Me either. I can tell you the specific date I last had alcohol, in 2002. And it was probably years since I'd had a drink up to that point. Of course, guys don't typically let you not drink at your bachelor party. Cheers

33Tory leader promises $1 beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

here a case of 24 Canadian or Blue is $15 on sale at the distributors...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum