GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stock up your beer fridge before tomorrow

+5
davetherave
wprager
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

LCBO strike looms for Wednesday

Some local bars have stocked up on booze

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2009/06/22/9892206.html

Ottawa bar owners have been stocking up on wine and hard liquor, arming themselves for a possible LCBO strike Wednesday.
And if the strike lasts too long and they run out, customers will have to switch their margarita for beer.
“We’ll always have something to sell,” said Patty’s Pub manager Gilles Leclair.
Leclair has enough wine and booze stockpiled — in a secret location — to keep the bar stocked for two months.
He’s anticipating customers, who are unable to get their alcohol from the liquor store, will head to bars, making the already busy summer season busier.
“We’ll be busier for a short time until we run out,” he said.
If the Liquor Commission Board of Ontario and its workers don’t reach a deal by midnight Wednesday, its 7,200 unionized workers will walk out.
Union officials say they plan to stop alcohol from flowing by picketing truckers and warehouses.
A main sticking point has been the LCBO’s move toward a more casual workers from permanent, full-time jobs. Other issues are sick days, vacation, retirement and wages.
“If the LCBO insists on destroying good permanent jobs, if it insists on crushing the hopes and dreams of our casual members, then we will not hesitate to take this battle to the streets,” Vanda Klumper, chairwoman of the bargaining team, said in release.
People in the bar industry are already talking privatization if the strike goes on too long, Leclair said, noting when the Quebec government went out it lasted five months.
Mayflower Restaurant assistant manager Jason Garner had just finished placing an extra large order Monday afternoon.
How long it will last will depend on the length of the strike and the crowd that descends on the Elgin St. bar on Canada Day.
“It will be extremely inconvenient for anybody in the restaurant industry, it’ll be bad enough for the individuals.”
LCBO spokesman Chris Layton is optimistic an eleventh-hour settlement will be reached.
Taxpayers demand the LCBO run the business efficiently and it would cost $15 million to make all casual employees full time this year. Employing casuals also helps the agency staff stores during busy times of the year, like in the run up before Christmas.
The LCBO is anticipatng a two-and-a-half per cent drop in net sales this year and the negotiations have to reflect the current economic conditions, said Layton.
“You can’t negotiate through a rearview mirror.”
beth.johnston@sunmedia.ca

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Thank goodness we'll still be able to go to the Beer Store and get Beer Smile

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm ready...

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Thank goodness we'll still be able to go to the Beer Store and get Beer Smile

oh yeah I forgot you guys have your stores separate, silly me, well then stock up on your hard liquor if you need it, here in NB, it would be catastrophic, the beer and hard liquor all in one place, it would be a mutiny if the workers went on strike here.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Man I love The Beer Store... remember when they had the Wall Of Beer with all the bottles and cans up there... I'm drooling just thinking about it now... so good....

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Thank goodness we'll still be able to go to the Beer Store and get Beer Smile

oh yeah I forgot you guys have your stores separate, silly me, well then stock up on your hard liquor if you need it, here in NB, it would be catastrophic, the beer and hard liquor all in one place, it would be a mutiny if the workers went on strike here.
Better not be a strike in NB! We're headed that way very soon! HA HA! Mind you, we'll be coming through the US by way of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine so we'll stock up on super-cheap booze before we arrive.

Smile

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Man I love The Beer Store... remember when they had the Wall Of Beer with all the bottles and cans up there... I'm drooling just thinking about it now... so good....

I awe the people down here with the tales of Lakeport beer, 28 bottles for 24 bucks, sure it might not be the best tasting, and I have tasted worse, but it is so dang cheap, do they still have that deal?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:
shabbs wrote:Man I love The Beer Store... remember when they had the Wall Of Beer with all the bottles and cans up there... I'm drooling just thinking about it now... so good....

I awe the people down here with the tales of Lakeport beer, 28 bottles for 24 bucks, sure it might not be the best tasting, and I have tasted worse, but it is so dang cheap, do they still have that deal?
Lakeport is $28.00 for a case of bottles. The min price for beer was raised recently.

I've become a fan of Maclay's recently... it's the same price as Lakeport and it's brewed by Sleeman's... not bad for a cheap beer. Easy drinking and pretty good considering the price.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Better not be a strike in NB! We're headed that way very soon! HA HA! Mind you, we'll be coming through the US by way of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine so we'll stock up on super-cheap booze before we arrive.

Smile

I have never seen them strike down here, and if they did, the agency stores would still stay open and we all know where they are around here, there is one 5 mins from my house he he. do they allow booze across the border now? or are you only allowed so much?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:do they allow booze across the border now? or are you only allowed so much?
Yeah, but it will be limited. We'll max out what we can bring in for sure. We'll be in the US for over 48 hours so we'll be limited to: 1.14L of liquor, 1.5L of wine or 24 bottles or cans of beer. There will be 4 adults so we'll make sure we get our fill.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:do they allow booze across the border now? or are you only allowed so much?
Yeah, but it will be limited. We'll max out what we can bring in for sure. We'll be in the US for over 48 hours so we'll be limited to: 1.14L of liquor, 1.5L of wine or 24 bottles or cans of beer. There will be 4 adults so we'll make sure we get our fill.

sweet, sounds like one hell of a road trip, get what you can because the booze/cigarettes are expensive this way.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

sweet, sounds like one hell of a road trip, get what you can because the booze/cigarettes are expensive this way.
It will be a wicked trip... Toronto --> Ottawa --> Montreal --> Vermont --> New Hampshire --> Maine --> Shediac, NB. We'll hit PEI and Nova Scotia while we're there before returning home via Canada going through Edmundston, NB and Montreal, QC.

3,300 km of road trip madness.

EDIT: Here's the route we're taking: http://bit.ly/DC5OA

Last edited by shabbs on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

It will be a wicked trip... Toronto --> Ottawa --> Montreal --> Vermont --> New Hampshire --> Maine --> Shediac, NB. We'll hit PEI and Nova Scotia while we're there before returning home via Canada going through Edmundston, NB and Montreal, QC.

3,300 km of road trip madness.

that is one cool trip, you will only be 20 minutes from me approximately, Dorchester is just a short jaunt down the highway from Shediac :^^^^:

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:that is one cool trip, you will only be 20 minutes from me approximately, Dorchester is just a short jaunt down the highway from Shediac :^^^^:
HA! I'll roll down the window as we drive by on our way to Halifax and yell:

"GMHOCKEY.COM FOREVER!!!!!!"

Heh heh.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:that is one cool trip, you will only be 20 minutes from me approximately, Dorchester is just a short jaunt down the highway from Shediac :^^^^:
HA! I'll roll down the window as we drive by on our way to Halifax and yell:

"GMHOCKEY.COM FOREVER!!!!!!"

Heh heh.

I will have a sign that says Shabbs rules, throw me a beer. Laughing3

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum