GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit Empty Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=351469
PANTHERS PROSPECT GUDBRANSON SUSPENDED EIGHT GAMES BY OHL

So Oshawa General JP LaBardo was skating hard down the ice and Frontenac's goalie Philip Grubauer came way out to play the puck and the two collided. LaBardo flew and struck Grubauer in the head with his head, which resulted in losing his mask. As LaBardo was getting to his feet from sliding towards the boards, Gudbranson charged him and jumped into him, hitting him into the glass, then proceeded to pummel him.

What do you guys think of the play? I like Gudbranson for defending his teammate and goalie. And it does clearly show LaBardo lift his elbow to hit Grubauer... does he do it on purpose? Perhaps frustrated that the goalie is coming out and wants to take him out?

2Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit Empty Re: Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:15 am

I think the reason the suspension is so long is because Gudbranson came in with his elbow/forearm up and hit LaBardo in the head. Then proceeded to pummel him when LaBardo clearly had no desire or intention to fight.

I think 8 games is stiff considering the goaltender contact, but good for the league cracking down. The CHL is not afraid to dish out stiff penalties, superstar or not. Good on em.

3Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit Empty Re: Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:42 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flying forearm shiver to the noodle. Not that the guy didn't deserve some punishment though.

4Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit Empty Re: Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:51 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, a bit surprising it's 8 games. I think mostly for the hit against the glass which, in retrospect, was not much (if he had really caught him the kid would not be standing up to fight).

5Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit Empty Re: Gudbranson suspended 8 games for hit Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:17 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I think they are really trying to send a message with the 8 games, these are kids still playing in the CHL. Definitely harsh, but it did seem like the intent to injure was there.

That being said, I think it would have been good to give Labardo a few games as well. To me it looked like Labardo was trying to hit Grubauer. If he's jumping to avoid him, his upper body would not have gone towards him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum