GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Manny Ramirez Suspended 50 games - WOW!!!

+2
PTFlea
SensGirl11
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Let the tides of the MLB change - Crazy season to come (This could change EVERYTHING)

By RONALD BLUM, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK — Manny Ramirez was suspended for 50 games by Major League Baseball on Thursday, becoming the latest high-profile player ensnared in the sport’s drug scandals.

The Los Angeles Dodgers star said he did not take steroids and was prescribed medication by a doctor that contained a banned substance. The commissioner’s office didn’t announce the specific violation by the 36-year-old outfielder, who apologized to the Dodgers and fans for “this whole situation.”

“Recently, I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me,” Ramirez said in a statement issued by the players’ union.

“Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I’ve taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.”

The suspension began Thursday and barring any postponements Ramirez will be able to return to the Dodgers — who now have the best record in baseball — for the July 3 game at San Diego. Ramirez will lose about US$7.65 million of his US$25 million salary.
While Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriguez, Jose Canseco and a long list of stars have been implicated in the use of performance-enhancing drugs, Ramirez is the most prominent suspended under the drug policy players and owners put in place seven years ago.

In February, Rodriguez admitted taking steroids while playing for Texas from 2001-03. But testing with penalties didn’t begin until 2004, and the New York Yankees third baseman doesn’t appear likely to be suspended.

The players’ association said Ramirez was suspended by the commissioner under the “just cause” provision of section 8.G.2 of the joint drug agreement. That allows players to be penalized for use, sale or distribution of banned substances, even where the agreement doesn’t specify a particular penalty, such as for a positive test.

In his statement, Ramirez addressed Dodgers owners Frank and Jamie McCourt, and manager Joe Torre.

“I want to apologize to Mr. McCourt, Mrs. McCourt, Mr. Torre, my teammates, the Dodger organization, and to the Dodger fans,” Ramirez said. “LA is a special place to me, and I know everybody is disappointed. So am I. I’m sorry about this whole situation.”

His suspension was first reported by the Los Angeles Times on its website.

Ramirez became the third player suspended this year under the major league program, following Philadelphia reliever J.C. Romero and Yankees pitcher Sergio Mitre.

Just two relatively low-profile players were suspended under the
major league program last year, San Francisco catcher Elizier Alfonzo and Colorado catcher Humberto Coto.

In the past, the best-known player penalized was Baltimore’s Rafael Palmeiro, who received a 10-day suspension in 2005, the first year of penalties for first infractions.

Ramirez was acquired by Los Angeles from Boston last July 31 and became a fan favourite. His contract negotiations became a long-running drama during the offseason, and he agreed in early March — well after the start of spring training — to a US$45 million, two-year contract that gives him the right to void the second season and become a free agent again.

Los Angeles even renamed a section of seats in left field at Dodger Stadium “Mannywood” in his honour.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ahhhhh!

Holy Diddle.

Isnt that like 10 million dollars he losses?

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

What a crazy suspension, this is how Campbell should go about suspensions, no player is safe. NO ONE!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Isnt that like 10 million dollars he losses?

7 ish.

This is crazy, shocking news to me personally. ManRam is a lot of things, but a Roid-man? Diddle me upside down.

Ahhhhh!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Manny being Manny... (just imagine some whimsical music in the background)

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Manny being Manny... (just imagine some whimsical music in the background)

:^^^^: That saying will get used a lot in the next couple of days.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Wow dosnt the Jason Bay - Manny Ramirez trade look good for the Red Sox now.... But anywho the Blue Jays are still first !!!! Sarcasm :D:

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Isn't he claiming his doctor gave him something recently that apparently was banned?

Madness.

You'd think these guys would learn...

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:Isn't he claiming his doctor gave him something recently that apparently was banned?

Madness.

So he says. Apparently a medication for some kind of illness or something to that effect. Sounds like bull to me.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:
shabbs wrote:Isn't he claiming his doctor gave him something recently that apparently was banned?

Madness.

So he says. Apparently a medication for some kind of illness or something to that effect. Sounds like bull to me.
HA! No doubt it went like this:

Manny: Doctor, I'm sick.
Doc: What are your symptoms?
Manny: I can't seem to hit as many homers as I did before.
Doc: Ahhh... I see. Very common among MLB'ers...
Manny: Can you give me something?
Doc: Sure can. Let me inject you with these... uh... anti-biotics... yeah...
Manny: Thanks doc.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:

Madness.

HA! No doubt it went like this:

Manny: Doctor, I'm sick.
Doc: What are your symptoms?
Manny: I can't seem to hit as many homers as I did before.
Doc: Ahhh... I see. Very common among MLB'ers...
Manny: Can you give me something?
Doc: Sure can. Let me inject you with these... uh... anti-biotics... yeah...
Manny: Thanks doc.

Laughing3 So true! Laughing3

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

My doctor gave me something....it was a female fertility drug!!!!!

Besides allowing women to be more fertile, it can mask steroids.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum