GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nabokov

+15
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
rooneypoo
sandysensfan
spader
22_4_ever
CockRoche
shabbs
BigRig
TheAvatar
PTFlea
Number Twenty Nine
SensGirl11
wprager
tim1_2
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1Nabokov Empty Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:21 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So here’s what we know: It’s a 1-year deal worth $570,000. That seems really low to me, but I guess this is what the cap era has come to. We know that a team can’t claim him and then re-trade him this year, without him first being offered to all the other teams who put in a waiver claim.

We know that at least Philly and Washington will have real interest in claiming him.

We know that there’s pretty much no possible way he’ll go unclaimed.

So what was Detroit’s motivation? Just to force some action? Make someone claim him, and then that eliminates a team that will be bidding on the other goalies in the trade market (i.e. Vokoun, Giguere, etc.)? That’s the only way I can figure it right now….

EDIT: As per Bob McKenzie's Twitter: Keep in mind, if Nabokov is claimed by a team and Nabokov doesn't like the situation, he can simply refuse to report and not play this year.

2Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:28 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

At first I thought $570K was either a twitter-typo or just the salary for the remainder of the season. But I just heard on SNet that the $570K is the full-year salary and he will roughly half-that (pro-rated amount).

In any case, they'll have to put him on the waiver wire (today at noon) and there's a very good chance another team will claim him. That's just such a strange rule. You shouldn't have to go through the whole process of signing a guy just so another team can cherry-pick him.

3Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:46 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

There is also a no-movement clause in the deal. There was talk on NHL live this morning that they may have put in the deal that he gets that this year and it'll jump to $4Million next year. Whether or not that's true has yet to be known.

4Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:47 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:So here’s what we know: It’s a 1-year deal worth $570,000. That seems really low to me, but I guess this is what the cap era has come to. We know that a team can’t claim him and then re-trade him this year, without him first being offered to all the other teams who put in a waiver claim.

We know that at least Philly and Washington will have real interest in claiming him.

We know that there’s pretty much no possible way he’ll go unclaimed.

So what was Detroit’s motivation? Just to force some action? Make someone claim him, and then that eliminates a team that will be bidding on the other goalies in the trade market (i.e. Vokoun, Giguere, etc.)? That’s the only way I can figure it right now….

EDIT: As per Bob McKenzie's Twitter: Keep in mind, if Nabokov is claimed by a team and Nabokov doesn't like the situation, he can simply refuse to report and not play this year.

So this would mean that he would not play for the Wings either I would imagine right?

5Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:59 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

with Elliott laying brown one's on a regular basis, Leclaire out and Brodeur nursing an injury, HOW CAN WE NOT go for it. Especially at that price.

Yes, we're not making a the playoffs and all that, but it would be nice to win a few games here and there until the end of the season....

A good show casing stint for Nabby for the off season.

6Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:02 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Number Twenty Nine wrote:with Elliott laying brown one's on a regular basis, Leclaire out and Brodeur nursing an injury, HOW CAN WE NOT go for it. Especially at that price.

Yes, we're not making a the playoffs and all that, but it would be nice to win a few games here and there until the end of the season....

A good show casing stint for Nabby for the off season.

Do you think he'd accept coming here though? I know it would look bad on him if he started saying no to teams that are not in the race, but maybe he doesn't really care about his rep and just wants to win. I wouldn't blame him personally. It's not like it's going to hinder any chances of him signing anywhere next season.

7Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:03 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I would love to nab him, but I also don't want to lose our lottery spot. It might sound like a loser attitude to have, but we're not going anywhere this year and I'd rather not finish 10th or 11th if possible.

8Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:06 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

So this would mean that he would not play for the Wings either I would imagine right?

I'm not sure what you mean? He obviously is prepared to play in Detroit, or we would not have signed with them.

Apparently Nabokov's agent sent a fax around to all the GMs saying Nabokov was only interested in playing on a contender.

9Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:09 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Please don't suggest that we should take him.

Melnyk is not interested in adding salary.

Nabokov would not want to be here. He is old and wants to win.

He wouldn't report here, and then we would've blown his shot at playing this year.

It will not happen.

10Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:12 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean? He obviously is prepared to play in Detroit, or we would not have signed with them.

Apparently Nabokov's agent sent a fax around to all the GMs saying Nabokov was only interested in playing on a contender.

That's fair, it doesn't mean they have to listen though.

EDIT: I don't think Nabokov cares either way, if he can't play this year he'll sign somewhere next year. Only problem for him is that the money could be less because no one got to see him play this year. He's playing with fire a little by doing that, IMO.

11Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:15 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I was just suggesting that if another team claims him and he doesn't report, he won't be playing for anyone this year. Detroit included.

12Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:17 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

that plus the poor Netminder market.

in tankville, Nabby makes no sense.

in "get bums on seats" ville, makes perfect sense.

13Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:26 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:
I was just suggesting that if another team claims him and he doesn't report, he won't be playing for anyone this year. Detroit included.

Yep, you're bang on.

14Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:13 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Yeah, interesting scenario. He wants to be a starter his agent said, so any team picking him up would have to jettison their starter to backup - like Bobrovsky in Philly who's doing pretty well. Washington would be the target IMO, Varlemov is young enough that it's not a complete slap in the face. Are we missing a contender?

15Nabokov Empty Re: Nabokov Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:17 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Yeah, interesting scenario. He wants to be a starter his agent said, so any team picking him up would have to jettison their starter to backup - like Bobrovsky in Philly who's doing pretty well. Washington would be the target IMO, Varlemov is young enough that it's not a complete slap in the face. Are we missing a contender?

Tampa?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum