GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Future of the Ottawa Senators

+12
ddt
Straight Shooter
Flo The Action
Hayden
Oglethorpe
Ev
SensHulk
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
wprager
SeawaySensFan
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

46The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:
Straight Shooter wrote:the future is still bright thanks to murray. this years product has a lot of underperforming players but the future is still bright starting on defense and then forward and then in goal.

It is, he did an amazing job. He still needs to be re-assigned to head of scouting and let someone with a fresh take come in and dissassemble what Murray did in terms of the old guard, lack of scoring talent, lack of skill, lack of leadership, lack of toughness in the top 6, lack of a proper shutdown D-man, lack of leadership, overpaid complimentary players (hello Fisher), declining players (hello Alfie, Phillips, Gonchar), unstable goaltending, poor coaching.

Interesting that you mention this twice.

47The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:24 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Straight Shooter wrote:the future is still bright thanks to murray. this years product has a lot of underperforming players but the future is still bright starting on defense and then forward and then in goal.

It is, he did an amazing job. He still needs to be re-assigned to head of scouting and let someone with a fresh take come in and dissassemble what Murray did in terms of the old guard, lack of scoring talent, lack of skill, lack of leadership, lack of toughness in the top 6, lack of a proper shutdown D-man, lack of leadership, overpaid complimentary players (hello Fisher), declining players (hello Alfie, Phillips, Gonchar), unstable goaltending, poor coaching.

Messier for GM. He is the Hostess/FritoLay/Pepsi/Dorito Leader of the Millenium after all! Dancing

48The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:24 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Making sure people were paying attention, good job. Wink

This team's leadership is bottom 5 in the NHL IMO.

49The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Messier for GM. He is the Hostess/FritoLay/Pepsi/Dorito Leader of the Millenium after all! Dancing

Bet you can't have just one.

- Unknown Author

50The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:

i like the option of keeping BM in charge of scouting, whether that's realistically possible is another thing entirely. i agree that there we're a few decision that in retrospect were questionable.

but it brings me to a point that everyone refuse to look at. Alfie.
the man can no longer lead the team on his shoulders anymore. i doubt he's got more then a few years left in him also. this goes against everything my heart tells me but is probably the move that would yield us the best return.
for teams like detroit, philly or even LA, adding a guy like alfie would improve the chances of a cup. alfie wouldn't have to carry the team and therefore probably improve his game even more so. the return could go a long, long way into helping the sens.

alfie's jersey will be retired, his accomplishments will no doubt be all remembered in ottawa. he'll more then likely get a job offered in ottawa once he retires. but if we're thinking of improving the team for the future, maybe it's what's best for the team.

ok, now you can all hate me. Facepalm

51The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't think the return will be all that high for Alfie anymore. It's not worth it.

What can a 38 year old, with 22 points in 38 games, playing first line and first unit PP, with a cap hit of almost 5M for another two seasons, get you?

- Unknown Author

52The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No, I think all level headed fans would agree that it's either: 1)we keep Alfie as mentor to the young kids coming up or 2) he's traded for a nice package.

53The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I don't think the return will be all that high for Alfie anymore. It's not worth it.

What can a 38 year old, with 22 points in 38 games, playing first line and first unit PP, with a cap hit of almost 5M for another two seasons, get you?

I personally think it would be a big package. Alfie can't be a top line player anymore, but he can be one of the best complimentary players in the league to a team with an awesome top line and a very good 2nd line.

54The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I don't think the return will be all that high for Alfie anymore. It's not worth it.

I personally think it would be a big package. Alfie can't be a top line player anymore, but he can be one of the best complimentary players in the league to a team with an awesome top line and a very good 2nd line.

What would you see us getting? I don't see it being much personally.

- Unknown Author

55The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:28 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

What would you see us getting? I don't see it being much personally.[/quote]

B.Schenn + pick for example. LA needs a guy like Alfie - or even better, like Iginla.

56The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:31 pm

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

B.Schenn + pick for example. LA needs a guy like Alfie - or even better, like Iginla.[/quote]

Yeah, especially with that trigger-finger Lombardi at the helm... Sarcasm

57The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

ddt wrote:
Yeah, especially with that trigger-finger Lombardi at the helm... Sarcasm

Laugh1 True dat.

58The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:40 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Doubt anyone will take Alfie.

2 more years at $5M that stays on the books regardless if he retires.

59The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

B.Schenn + pick for example. LA needs a guy like Alfie - or even better, like Iginla.[/quote]
that's exactly who i thought for LA but they might package it with a 1st rounder.
Alfie is a leader/warrior and he' dgive it his all going into the playoffs. i agree he wouldn't be on the first line but on special teams and on the second line(or third making for 3 awesome lines).
i think if it got creative within the cap we could land Van Riemsdyk +.
(personaly i'd love giroux but i don't know what kind of trade would get him here.)

60The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Doubt anyone will take Alfie.

I don't think he'll retire, especially if he's on a competitive team. I think he's fine, not only that, I think he'd be awesome on LA or one of those powerhouses. Heck, he'll be fine here once we get some top 6 players that aren't named Alfredsson or Spezza.

My asking price from LA would be B.Schenn + 1st. End of story. If Lombardi doesn't like it, he can eat it.

61The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Hoags wrote:Doubt anyone will take Alfie.

I don't think he'll retire, especially if he's on a competitive team. I think he's fine, not only that, I think he'd be awesome on LA or one of those powerhouses. Heck, he'll be fine here once we get some top 6 players that aren't named Alfredsson or Spezza.

My asking price from LA would be B.Schenn + 1st. End of story. If Lombardi doesn't like it, he can eat it.

well anyways i don't think he's being shopped. my gut says BM will never pull the trigger on alfie. BM is very loyal for better or worse. but if another GM were to step in all bets are off.

for some reason i thought he only had another year remaining.

fisher won't get us that much but might get us a decent prospect and a second rounder.(maybe)

62The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:There's a very real risk of wrecking these guys if they're brought up too early though isn't there? Especially in Lehner's case right?

I know I will be shouted down for saying this, but I really don't think so. Lehner has a solid head on his shoulders. He's going to make mistakes but he knows that that's what it takes to learn. This team will still be struggling to get above .500 next season, but if Lehner is the backup, and he gets the weaker teams in back-to-back situations then he'll be fine. I said it in another thread -- he is getting very little playing time in Bingo and that's not going to change; he'd probably get more playing time backing up Elliott. If only Leclaire would break down for good and not these 3-5 game minjuries.

63The Future of the Ottawa Senators - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the Ottawa Senators Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:There's a very real risk of wrecking these guys if they're brought up too early though isn't there? Especially in Lehner's case right?

Besides, even if this season is lost, the mandate next year will be to make the playoffs.

I would argue the mandate for next season would be to play exciting hockey and get experience for the youngsters. If -- *IF* -- they somehow manage to be close to a playoff spot then you have a decision to make in March.

Seriously, think about it this way. If we only win half our games, but the ones we lose it's a 5-3 loss with an empty-netter to seal it, with the lead changing times once or twice, isn't that better than scoring 3 goals in the first 21 minutes and then hanging on like the '90s Devils?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum