GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010

+22
PKC
cash
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
rooneypoo
SensHulk
LeCaptain
Hobiesens
sens4win
asq2
Bramlet07
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
stempniaksen
Ev
PTFlea
SensGirl11
wprager
CockRoche
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Ottawa @ Philadelphia, Nov 15, 2010

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 12 Vote_lcap240%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 12 Vote_rcap2 40% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 12 Vote_lcap240%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 12 Vote_rcap2 40% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 12 Vote_lcap220%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 12 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 12]

ddt

Rookie
Rookie

Big Ev wrote:He's been good at every level (well, only NCAA and AHL). but he's never been dominant. Obviously everyone shares different opinions oin each position of the team, but I would prefer my goalie to be elite. It just gives you more confidence knowing you don't have to worry about the guy between the pipes each game.

1.55 GAA, .938 SP
2.10 GAA, .923 SP

Those were his stats during his last two years in college; the other years aren't included only because he wasn't a starter, the stats for those were just as good.

Here are his stats from the 2006 Frozen Four (NCAA finals):

- 2 shutouts, including a 1-0 triple-OT win
- .973 save percentage
- 0.62 GAA, that's 3 goals allowed in 4 games (almost 5 whole games when you look at that triple-OT)

If that's not dominant, then I wonder what kind of definition you have for the word...

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:The season could be 200 games long and Price would be better Laugh1

I wasn't arguing that, I was saying that there's plenty 'o time for Price to shart the ice - and he doesn't take to adversity very well. Plenty 'o time...

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:The season could be 200 games long and Price would be better Laugh1

I wasn't arguing that, I was saying that there's plenty 'o time for Price to shart the ice - and he doesn't take to adversity very well. Plenty 'o time...

I'm gonna take issue with that statement. He came back from adversity as far as last season and how he went from struggling (and being booed) in the preseason to becoming one of the most dominant goalies thus far (although quite early).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ddt wrote:
Big Ev wrote:He's been good at every level (well, only NCAA and AHL). but he's never been dominant. Obviously everyone shares different opinions oin each position of the team, but I would prefer my goalie to be elite. It just gives you more confidence knowing you don't have to worry about the guy between the pipes each game.

1.55 GAA, .938 SP
2.10 GAA, .923 SP

Those were his stats during his last two years in college; the other years aren't included only because he wasn't a starter, the stats for those were just as good.

Here are his stats from the 2006 Frozen Four (NCAA finals):

- 2 shutouts, including a 1-0 triple-OT win
- .973 save percentage
- 0.62 GAA, that's 3 goals allowed in 4 games (almost 5 whole games when you look at that triple-OT)

If that's not dominant, then I wonder what kind of definition you have for the word...

I'm not up on NCAA hockey or anything...was his team amazing as well?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

I'm gonna take issue with that statement. He came back from adversity as far as last season and how he went from struggling (and being booed) in the preseason to becoming one of the most dominant goalies thus far (although quite early).

Yep, he's done really well so far this year, but we're not even at game 20 yet, so let's see if he survives a full year with Les Habitants.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
marakh wrote:Elliott is getting better, but he has a looong way to go before becoming a N1 goaltender.
Right now, he's not "going far in the playoffs" material, unless he plays in front of Detroit or Philly or a top 5 team in the league. He's just as good as the team in front of him, which is ok considering how in the past 2 years goaltending was a reason we lost games GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 12 484884 .
But let's not act like he's stealing games or anything. THose are guys like Price, Halak, Thomas, Backstrom etc. There are maybe 5-10 of them max in the league, and it's not like those teams have won the cup recently either.
Bottom line is, upgrade your defense and forward depth first, and as long as you make the playoffs with an ok goalie, you should be fine.

I remember I got BLASTED around here last season for saying I'd rather have Price than Elliott.

At the cap-hit difference I'd still rather have Elliott. The cap hit was also likely one of the reasons they chose Price over Halak -- Halak was coming of a great season, while Price was coming off a down season (for him). Trajectories were going in different directions. I'm actually surprised Price got as much as he did, because I thought the difference would be higher. I guess by that point in time he had them over a barrel. They would have done better to negotiate his contract before trading Halak, but it probably wasn't their choice.

Price's cap hit is $2.75 million. That's not that much AT ALL...that's almost half what he pay Kovalev, and $1.45 less than what we pay Fisher.

Price is just a better goalie, period.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If you assume that Halak would have gotten us to the 2nd round last year, that's the (at least) 2 extra home playoff games to make up the difference in cap hit. It definitely would not have happened last year, but we'll see how they both do this year. Bottom line, Price would have to win one extra playoff round for us than Elliott, in order to justify the extra cap hit. Or, take that $2M at the deadline and acquire a $6M sniper. Maybe that's the way to go -- have a goalie decent enough to get you to the post-season and give you at least a fighting chance, then up your scoring with a genuine top-six rental.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:If you assume that Halak would have gotten us to the 2nd round last year, that's the (at least) 2 extra home playoff games to make up the difference in cap hit. It definitely would not have happened last year, but we'll see how they both do this year. Bottom line, Price would have to win one extra playoff round for us than Elliott, in order to justify the extra cap hit. Or, take that $2M at the deadline and acquire a $6M sniper. Maybe that's the way to go -- have a goalie decent enough to get you to the post-season and give you at least a fighting chance, then up your scoring with a genuine top-six rental.

There's a difference between the cap hit and the team's budget. You seem to be conflating the two. Paying Halak isn't much of a concern; Melnyk has deep pockets.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

His pockets got deep by making right business decisions. The Sens are a cap-ceiling team because he wants to win, but they lose money unless they get 4-6 home playoff games (and that was last year; this year, no sell-outs, it'll take a lot more). So, while they still intend on spending $56.8M or whatever the figure is, they also want to spend it in such a way as to maximize their chances of getting playoff games.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

That doesn't change my point. The Sens, as a cap ceiling team, are going to spend the money anyway. Therefore, the added revenues don't have any impact on the decision (at least, not for the sake of revenues alone). They don't look at each contract and try to determine the dollar value that each player represents in revenues.

Like I said, you're conflating budget and cap.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum