GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010

+22
PKC
cash
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
rooneypoo
SensHulk
LeCaptain
Hobiesens
sens4win
asq2
Bramlet07
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
stempniaksen
Ev
PTFlea
SensGirl11
wprager
CockRoche
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Ottawa @ Philadelphia, Nov 15, 2010

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 11 Vote_lcap240%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 40% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 11 Vote_lcap240%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 40% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 11 Vote_lcap220%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

dennycrane

Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
marakh wrote:Price is the best goalie this year IMO. End of 2nd period, 33 stops GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 11 432129

I have swam against the current on that debate and said that Montreal chose the right goalie for the future.

Should be interesting watching their careers over the years.

Price's stats were considered bad last year but they were still better than Elliott and Leclaire. I think the big issue was no so much one goalie over the other but that Montreal received so little for Halak.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:Well it seems that Murray and co. don't have a ton of confidence in Elliott to be the undisputed future #1 tender of this team, since they've rushed Lehner to the pros.
He's been good at every level (well, only NCAA and AHL). but he's never been dominant. Obviously everyone shares different opinions oin each position of the team, but I would prefer my goalie to be elite. It just gives you more confidence knowing you don't have to worry about the guy between the pipes each game.

You don't have to have a super-human goalie, it just doesn't hurt to have one Smile. People in Ottawa want to have a great goalie because we've been let down by so many in the past...if Elliott just plays like the best goalie we've ever had (arguably Lalime, Emery, Tugnutt) then I don't think that's good enough.

I'm not writing him off, I just don't see him ever becoming amazing. To me he's a Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, or Dwayne Roloson (which actually isn't bad at all).

Nope, doing what's right for Lehner's development (he would stagnate in the CHL, having already dominated as an 18 year old) has nothing to do with the goaltending debate in Ottawa. If they rush him to the NHL next season and he hasn't proven the ability to dominate the A by that time, that would be meaningful; the decision to sign him and let him continue to develop at the proper level is not.

As far as the comparison goes, I would absolutely put him in a higher tier, now and definitely in the future. Imo he's got the potential to shut it down like Thomas, while playing more like Ward. I've always thought there were a lot of similarities between Ward and Elliott, not the least of which is their path to the pros.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

dennycrane wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
marakh wrote:Price is the best goalie this year IMO. End of 2nd period, 33 stops GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 11 432129

I have swam against the current on that debate and said that Montreal chose the right goalie for the future.

Should be interesting watching their careers over the years.

Price's stats were considered bad last year but they were still better than Elliott and Leclaire. I think the big issue was no so much one goalie over the other but that Montreal received so little for Halak.

I'm fairly certain that the talk last year was about the team's poor stats in front of Price. They didn't give him much run suppport and their record was far worse with him in net, despite the fact that his reg season numbers were actually quite close to Halak's---Price had a .912 sv% and 0 shutouts...that says a lot.

Also, Lars Eller is awesome, and to get another prospect with the potential to reach the NHL with him is not a bad deal. Look at what goalies are traded for....it's not much. That return was very good.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Elliott is getting better, but he has a looong way to go before becoming a N1 goaltender.
Right now, he's not "going far in the playoffs" material, unless he plays in front of Detroit or Philly or a top 5 team in the league. He's just as good as the team in front of him, which is ok considering how in the past 2 years goaltending was a reason we lost games GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 11 484884 .
But let's not act like he's stealing games or anything. THose are guys like Price, Halak, Thomas, Backstrom etc. There are maybe 5-10 of them max in the league, and it's not like those teams have won the cup recently either.
Bottom line is, upgrade your defense and forward depth first, and as long as you make the playoffs with an ok goalie, you should be fine.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:LOL rooneypoo I have heard that term long before Dobber Hockey Smile

The criticism goes deeper than that, friend. Your judgment is not your own, is the point I was making.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:LOL rooneypoo I have heard that term long before Dobber Hockey Smile

The criticism goes deeper than that, friend. Your judgment is not your own, is the point I was making.

Again, everyone knows what an it factor is. It's been used for decades to describe people with talent. Saying Halak and those goalies have it is my own judgment....if not then I'll say they're just good goaltenders who GET IT.

and by the way, I'm pretty sure the only people who have been labeled as having an It Favotr at DH were Eberle and Parise...no goalies at all.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

and damn, I like how there's an Elliott thread yet the conversation is booming in this GDT as well Smile

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:Elliott is getting better, but he has a looong way to go before becoming a N1 goaltender.
Right now, he's not "going far in the playoffs" material, unless he plays in front of Detroit or Philly or a top 5 team in the league. He's just as good as the team in front of him, which is ok considering how in the past 2 years goaltending was a reason we lost games GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 11 484884 .
But let's not act like he's stealing games or anything. THose are guys like Price, Halak, Thomas, Backstrom etc. There are maybe 5-10 of them max in the league, and it's not like those teams have won the cup recently either.
Bottom line is, upgrade your defense and forward depth first, and as long as you make the playoffs with an ok goalie, you should be fine.

I remember I got BLASTED around here last season for saying I'd rather have Price than Elliott.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:
marakh wrote:Elliott is getting better, but he has a looong way to go before becoming a N1 goaltender.

I remember I got BLASTED around here last season for saying I'd rather have Price than Elliott.
i'll admit it, i didn't think price could survive in montreal's pressure cooker... i'm still waiting for him to have a bad run to see the heat rise up again.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:

At the cap-hit difference I'd still rather have Elliott. The cap hit was also likely one of the reasons they chose Price over Halak -- Halak was coming of a great season, while Price was coming off a down season (for him). Trajectories were going in different directions. I'm actually surprised Price got as much as he did, because I thought the difference would be higher. I guess by that point in time he had them over a barrel. They would have done better to negotiate his contract before trading Halak, but it probably wasn't their choice.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:and damn, I like how there's an Elliott thread yet the conversation is booming in this GDT as well Smile

Aaaaahhhhhhhh yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!! Rockon

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

I disagree with the idea that he hasn't stolen games for us. This team gives up so many quality scoring chances, it's insane. He's been rock solid. The only bad game he's had for us since the very first game he played this year was the last one. Let's not forget that Leclaire was in net against Vancouver... Elliott is the main reason this team is where it is.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:

Oh Biggie, there's a long, long way to go this season.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Do you mean career or per season? Because not a lot of goalies finish their career with a .915-.920 SV%. Patrick Roy's is .910.

Per season. Any number one goalie should be sporting between a .915 and a .920 in this NHL. If it's not up there, then it better be soon because there'll be another goalie coming 'round to take your spot.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

Oh Biggie, there's a long, long way to go this season.

The season could be 200 games long and Price would be better Laugh1

I still think had Price been traded he would have flourished and become a top-five goalie in the entire league.

Where he has proven me wrong is that he has done it in Montreal, and has done it so quickly.

I would do horrible things to get Price on the Sens. Everyone else can talk about Elliott and his winning percentage (not bashing Elliott here) or Lehner and his potential, but if Price keeps doing what his is doing there might not be a goalie in the league I want more.

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

Big Ev wrote:He's been good at every level (well, only NCAA and AHL). but he's never been dominant. Obviously everyone shares different opinions oin each position of the team, but I would prefer my goalie to be elite. It just gives you more confidence knowing you don't have to worry about the guy between the pipes each game.

1.55 GAA, .938 SP
2.10 GAA, .923 SP

Those were his stats during his last two years in college; the other years aren't included only because he wasn't a starter, the stats for those were just as good.

Here are his stats from the 2006 Frozen Four (NCAA finals):

- 2 shutouts, including a 1-0 triple-OT win
- .973 save percentage
- 0.62 GAA, that's 3 goals allowed in 4 games (almost 5 whole games when you look at that triple-OT)

If that's not dominant, then I wonder what kind of definition you have for the word...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:The season could be 200 games long and Price would be better Laugh1

I wasn't arguing that, I was saying that there's plenty 'o time for Price to shart the ice - and he doesn't take to adversity very well. Plenty 'o time...

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:The season could be 200 games long and Price would be better Laugh1

I wasn't arguing that, I was saying that there's plenty 'o time for Price to shart the ice - and he doesn't take to adversity very well. Plenty 'o time...

I'm gonna take issue with that statement. He came back from adversity as far as last season and how he went from struggling (and being booed) in the preseason to becoming one of the most dominant goalies thus far (although quite early).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum