GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+24
Bramlet07
Oglethorpe
Flo The Action
Hobiesens
Number Twenty Nine
ddt
NEELY
stempniaksen
sandysensfan
Hoags
rooneypoo
CockRoche
The Silfer Server
tim1_2
Ev
TheAvatar
PTFlea
spader
Cap'n Clutch
SensHulk
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
wprager
Riprock
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:That's more $ than Kessel btw.

Kessel signed as an RFA, that shaves off a lot of money.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:

And he'll no doubt have a 7x7 coming to him when he's a UFA...

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

And he'll no doubt have a 7x7 coming to him when he's a UFA...

At least IMO.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389625

Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 18 Picture0003

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Toronto media is as much to blame. Sure, the Leafs are a disaster right now, but the media in that market is like paparazzi. I mean, really, they went to Reimer's mother and asked her about James' health. Imagine if reporters in Ottawa were calling on wives and other family members for insider info. It's embarrassing and sad.

That being said, Burke always seems to find himself in situations that make headlines.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Riprock wrote:Toronto media is as much to blame. Sure, the Leafs are a disaster right now, but the media in that market is like paparazzi. I mean, really, they went to Reimer's mother and asked her about James' health. Imagine if reporters in Ottawa were calling on wives and other family members for insider info. It's embarrassing and sad.

That being said, Burke always seems to find himself in situations that make headlines.

The other shoe is about to drop on Burke, if you ask me.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I wouldn't be surprised, but isn't it similar to Murray in Ottawa? Multiple coaching changes (G.M's duty) by Murray in Ottawa - 1 in Toronto under Burke. Only difference is Burke's failed to make the playoffs with the team he built. Murray's been there earlier with Ottawa, just failed to get there twice now consecutively, but appears headed there this year.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The 5-year term with a new CBA on the horizon seems to be bugging a lot of Leaf fans as well. I'm sure he would have gotten that or more as a UFA, so he had the power.

I like Grabs, he's been one of their best players on and off for the past two seasons.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gotta throw my hat in the "Wow that's a lot of cabbage" ring.

And as someone already tweeted, if Grabo gets $5.5M, how much is Karlsson worth?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
And as someone already tweeted, if Grabo gets $5.5M, how much is Karlsson worth?

I think Drew Doughty is the closest comparable, especially if EK gets nominated.

As for Burke he's making it harder on himself with the Toronto media, sure they are nasty but he's not giving them any reasons to give him a break.

Early in the season they compared MacLean to Wilson in terms of how they handle the media and MacLean is far out better. Has the Ottawa media written anything negative on MacLean ? Nope.

Be nice to the media and they cut you some slack.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Some Oiler Tweeter compared Hemsky's deal to Grabovski's deal, with intention of showing that Hemsky has a better career PPG than Grabovski.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Riprock wrote:Toronto media is as much to blame. Sure, the Leafs are a disaster right now, but the media in that market is like paparazzi. I mean, really, they went to Reimer's mother and asked her about James' health. Imagine if reporters in Ottawa were calling on wives and other family members for insider info. It's embarrassing and sad.

I agree this time. I would have been upset if this Moore tool asked me questions about my job security as well, although I think I would have brushed it off.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

"Like I said from the start, our goal and our intent is to be in the playoffs," Burke said this afternoon at the Huntsville retreat the team is spending the next three days to practice and bond prior to Thursday's season opener against Montreal. "We think we are good enough to make the playoffs. We're stopping short of bold predictions and anything that will end up on a bulletin board. We believe the group (is ready) and if not, we'll get back to work."

“If you notice, we’ve avoided any bold proclamations. They tend to get pinned up on bulletin boards,” said Burke. “It’s our goal and our intention to participate in the playoffs.”

"The goal for the season was the playoffs, it is the playoffs," Burke says. "But we are rebuilding. It's not a classic rebuild. I don't think in a cap system, you have to finish last or dead last for four or five years...

I think this team stacks up to just about any other team in the (Eastern Conference) in terms of the blueline,” Burke said. “We think we are set in net. We think James Reimer is the real deal.

That is some funny Donkey Dung Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:

I think Drew Doughty is the closest comparable, especially if EK gets nominated.

As for Burke he's making it harder on himself with the Toronto media, sure they are nasty but he's not giving them any reasons to give him a break.

Early in the season they compared MacLean to Wilson in terms of how they handle the media and MacLean is far out better. Has the Ottawa media written anything negative on MacLean ? Nope.

Be nice to the media and they cut you some slack.

There are no nominations; it's just votes and they tell us the top three vote getters early on, before revealing the winner in the end. One of the guys on the radio made an interesting point, that EK has had good games against the big-market clubs, where he would get lots of notices from the press. So the guys with the votes (reporters) know how good he is first hand, rather than relying on stats sheets or calling up their buddies ("Hey, who did you vote for?"). I'd be surprised if he wasn't "nominated". Really surprised.

When did Doughty get his contract? A year ago or thereabouts? Karlsson has shattered his pre-contract and contract year stats (49 and 40 points, respectively), while improving the defensive side of his game (from minus a million to a respectable +14, while leading all defensemen in takeaways). I think his agent could make a very legitimate case that he is worth more than Doughty, but I also think he is a 21-year-old kid and they will settle on something around $6.5M.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Leafs visit the Pens tonight. Lupul left the game last night with a should injury and is doubtful for tonight's match. That's a big loss for the Leafs if Lupul is out for any time. That was a pretty crazy game last night.

Sabres host the Hurricanes tonight and are 1 point up on the Leafs. They sit in 11th spot.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Toronto media are horrible people generally. Seriously, if I had Steve Simmons writing about my team on a daily basis, I'd freak out.

That said, Burke has clearly done a bad job as well.

They deserve each other.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

tim1_2 wrote:The Toronto media are horrible people generally. Seriously, if I had Steve Simmons writing about my team on a daily basis, I'd freak out.

That said, Burke has clearly done a bad job as well.

They deserve each other.
Heh. If you think Ottawa has it bad with BooBoo and Brennan, it is way worse here. 24x7 harping on every player that has a bad game... relentless criticism of any goof up during a game... and the goalies... man, I don't know how they keep it together. Horrendous.

273Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 18 Empty Re: Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:39 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Gord Miller: Brad Thiessen makes his second career start in goal for Pittsburgh vs Toronto tonight.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum