GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Robin Lehner - How long before he gets his first NHL start?

+9
Hobiesens
PKC
TheAvatar
PTFlea
Riprock
SensGirl11
wprager
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Just a reminder that I will be doing another Q&A with Lehner, so if you have any questions you'd like to ask, submit them here: http://www.gmhockey.com/ottawa-senators-f31/robin-lehner-interview-t4178-40.htm#200932

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:SG11, I don't think it's respect or protecting their goalie as much as it is embarrassment. At least that's my opinion, and also my reason for thinking that putting Lehner in for a full game at this point would be a mistake. Oh, he may very well succeed and get a shutout win, score the winner in OT and then save a baby falling from the upper level, but what then? What happens to Elliott? What happens when we find out that a 19-year-old rookie cannot carry the load for a full schedule? And the much more likely outcome is that he'll lose more than he wins. Until the team is playing better I don't think it's fair (or wise) to bring in Lehner. In fact, now that Brodeur looks like he's ready, bring him up and send Robin back to Bingo to get some starts.

I don't want him to play a full season yet or even half a season or even 10 games. I just want to see him once this weekend if we can't win against Buffalo tomorrow, it's just a shakeup thing. Murray is trying to send them a message saying that he's going to trade some players, but it seems to me that it's only talk to scare the players into playing well. I don't know why he'd be throwing a GM's name out there...it doesn't make sense.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The official story on Murray dropping Fletcher's name:

According to Russo - the best Wild beat writer - he talked to Murray about it and Murray said that he and Fletcher go way, way back and they were chatting for quite some time about the importance of a fast start. Murray said, tongue-in-cheek, that Fletcher gave him advice.

Russo thinks it'll come down to this weekend's games for both Minny and Ottawa, but says that Murray appears to be after a 'rugged D-man' and that potentially, Greg Zanon fits that bill.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I'm having a real hard time getting excited at the prospect of trading for Zanon

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Really? I think he'd be perfect here and his cap hit is awesome! Who knows how he would fit in though, it seems as though no new bodies are fitting in here.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:Really? I think he'd be perfect here and his cap hit is awesome! Who knows how he would fit in though, it seems as though no new bodies are fitting in here.

That was just Russo speculating. Schultz is not available, nor is Burns, nor is Zidlicky (not that we really need him), they're happy with Falk, but not with Stoner, so the potential is there to acquire a Zanon for Lee + and the Wild to not feel the pinch as much. Plus, by all accounts Zanon has struggled a bit to start the year, but again, it's process of elimination, I doubt there's anybody else in the Wild system who's available that we would be interested in.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:I'm having a real hard time getting excited at the prospect of trading for Zanon

He's cheap, he blocks shots with the best of them, he hits despite his limited size and he's a warrior. And...we need some of that on the back end, pronto.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:It is a very scary prospect to have a desperate GM on the last year of his contract trying to save his job through trades. It could get very ugly and it could set the franchise back a few years.

Personally I'd like to see Melnyk find a replacement for Murray very soon and move Murray into a front office scouting role.

To be honest, I don't think Murray is desperate because I don't think he's trying to save his job. It's a known quantity that he's at the age where he'll be going on a year to year basis as GM of the team. He might even move into a consultant/advisor role with the team as early as next year.

So I don't think, in his mind, that he's trying to save the same job that he has. I think Melnyk knows a lot more about what Murray did for this team than most of us know. And I doubt he's apt to forget that very quickly.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

bah, maybe I'll get excited when (if) I see him play. A guy we drafted in 2000 (at 20) who never found a spot in the NHL until he was 26. Although he may play physical, he seems rather small.

How different is he from a Carkner (Except for the 'small' part)?

But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. Sure his $1.9M cap hit is attractive. Who goes the other way ? Lee? Campoli?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Slightly more skilled Matt Carkner would be a pretty fair assessment. Maybe better positionally, more experienced, but comparable in blocked shots and good defensive zone coverage. Plus, like Carkner, Zanon makes it a little harder for teams to waltz into our zone uncontested. He'll always be there to hit, poke-check, block, frustrate. I've always liked this kind of unassuming, quiet leader - like Sutton, Volchenkov etc.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sutton was not a leader.

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Rick Wamsley was on Hockey Central today and when asked about Robin he hinted that, with lots of games coming up, he wouldn't be surprised if Lehner gets in there. He spoke very highly of Lehner and how big he is in the net.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Hobiesens wrote:Rick Wamsley was on Hockey Central today and when asked about Robin he hinted that, with lots of games coming up, he wouldn't be surprised if Lehner gets in there. He spoke very highly of Lehner and how big he is in the net.

Like I said two or three days ago, I wouldn't be surprised if Lehner got the start for the next game.

This is a team in need of a spark.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Sutton was not a leader.

Of course he was. You don't play in the NHL as long as he did without doing a lot of things that constitute being a leader. Sutton stood up for Karlsson on the ice more than once and that right there makes him a 'quiet leader'. Let alone him blocking the 3rd most shots in the NHL and being top 5 in hits as well, always working hard. That's called leading by example.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
Hobiesens wrote:Rick Wamsley was on Hockey Central today and when asked about Robin he hinted that, with lots of games coming up, he wouldn't be surprised if Lehner gets in there. He spoke very highly of Lehner and how big he is in the net.

Like I said two or three days ago, I wouldn't be surprised if Lehner got the start for the next game.

This is a team in need of a spark.

I hate it because I think Elliott should start both games, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lehner does get the start on Friday night. I think the sens are that desperate that they want another Mike Brodeur like performance.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I think Elliott starts friday, to see where the team's at after some emergency warnings.
Depending on his performance, Lehner might start saturday.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

marakh wrote:I think Elliott starts friday, to see where the team's at after some emergency warnings.

+ Elliott's numbers are ridiculous against Barfallo if I'm not mistaken.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:
marakh wrote:I think Elliott starts friday, to see where the team's at after some emergency warnings.

+ Elliott's numbers are ridiculous against Barfallo if I'm not mistaken.

Right on the nose on that one!

Elliott has played 8 games, starting 7 of them, and has 8 wins. A 1.89GAA, .937SVP and 1 SO, while averaging about 30 shots per game against them (222 Shots against in 444 minutes played).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum