GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

All Robin Lehner Talk HERE!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Try to streamline the threads we have and focus our tidbits about him here.

2All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:30 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Swedes avenge poor showing with 4-1 win over USA
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=535686

In Friday's rematch, Lehner dropped the hammer on the Team USA skaters, stopping 22 of 23 shots in a 4-1 victory in an exhibition game at USA Hockey's National Junior Evaluation Camp on the USA Rink at the Olympic Center.

Even when they weren't in the box, however, Lehner was doing a far superior job than he had three days earlier.

"You think?" he replied with a laugh. "I played more than four minutes this time."

"I had a bad game," he told NHL.com. "I didn't get into the game good. I'm not in game shape yet. It's early. Then I won my first game against Finland, it was a so-so game, wasn't happy with my performance there, had a terrible game against the U.S. In this age we're in now, it's how you get back. I just tried to focus even more in practice, practice harder. Today it went good."

Lehner knows what's at stake for him. Jacob Markstrom has been the unquestioned starter for Sweden at the last three World Junior Championships, leading the team to a pair of silver medals and a bronze. But his junior eligibility is gone, meaning someone new has to step into the crease. Lehner, a highly regarded 2009 second-round pick of the Ottawa Senators, looks to be the favorite.

"I don't go after someone else's steps," Lehner said. "Markstrom has been a good goalie. We have another good goalie here. I'm just battling. I have a good season in front of me. I'm going to try to do my best in Ottawa (training) camp, I'm going to try to take a spot in (AHL) Binghamton, have a good season. If they want me to play for the World Juniors it would be an honor."

If he is the guy in goal, his coach and teammates certainly trust him.

"I consider the goalie by far the most important player on the team," Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson told NHL.com. "You've got to trust him to play good hockey, and if you don't trust him you're not going to win big games. It shows today that we can trust our goalie and he really stepped it up. … It's hard to replace Markstrom, he's such a tremendous goalie, maybe one of the best we've ever had. We trust (Lehner) and he trusts us. So far it's been a good journey and hopefully we can take the gold."

After Lehner was shredded by the U.S., Sweden coach Roger Ronnberg opted to start him again.

"I wanted to see Robin play because I'm curious," Ronnberg told NHL.com. "I see him compete so hard on the practice side, I wanted to see it in the game. It's also good for Robin to get a second chance after his first game against the U.S.

"Every goalie has those games and they have to put it behind them."

Moving forward quickly is something Lehner learned playing last season with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League, where he went 27-13-3 with a 2.80 goals-against average and .918 save percentage in 47 games. Playing more games meant learning how to put the last game -- good or bad -- in the past as quickly as possible, because there's always another game.

"You learn to have a bad game and the next day play good again," Lehner said. "You can't let anything be in your way. You have to forget it right after."

Lehner set the example Friday and the rest of the team followed right along.

"I don't think all the guys were prepared for the speed (of the U.S.)," Paajarvi-Svensson said. "We learned a lot and we talked to each other and we watched the game. I think we all just came out and went all together and we really played good today. I think it showed what this team can do."

3All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:33 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Good read, thanks for posting. Do you have the schedule at all? I'm assuming these games aren't televised...

4All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:Good read, thanks for posting. Do you have the schedule at all? I'm assuming these games aren't televised...

No, not that I know of.

5All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sounds good! but i still don't expect him to back-up in ottawa till the 12-13 season. IF he makes the AHL this year i'd like him to stay there 2 years. being mature is very important with goaltenders. look at Price, he's on the precipice.

6All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Here's my take on the situation:

Lehner's a competitive person, and he has basically everything going for him that would make him a superstar.

Ottawa's a team that has been dying for a superstar, "franchise" goalie. They have become a goalie graveyard with all the guys they have seen come and go. The list is huge and the results basically the same.

There's so much pressure on goalies in general, but even more so in Ottawa.

There are two ways to go about this - the slow and steady route or the jump in the deep end one. There are many arguments for both paths, but nobody really knows what is best.

We have to trust Murray, the coaches and Robin to do the right thing.

In the AHL they could very well roll with Brust (would make MsConduct10 very happy Razz ) and Brodeur, with Lehner playing another year in the O. Or Brust plays in the ECHL and Lehner and Brodeur roll in Binghamton.

I don't see Lehner in Ottawa though, with Leclaire and Elliott still holding down jobs as #1a/b.

7All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

obviously depending how this year goes, i could see leclaire and elliott both being re-signed for 2 years each after this season.
and depending on the goalie situation leclaire might be back with a lesser price tag.

8All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Really? MsConduct wants to see Brust in there over Brodeur?

Over Lehner I can't really argue with, Lehner's a young pup with a lot of growing pains to come. Admittedly, he could hurt Bingo in the short term (and kill it for them in the long term), but that's why you have Brodeur.

Interesting that she would be going for Brust. She must know things about (ha ha) that we don't?

9All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

She's just a huge "Brusty" fan - she knows him from when he was with the Aeros as she covered the team. A great guy from everything she has said. She's also "counting" on Leclaire to get injured for him to see NHL action lol Sarcasm Gotta give her that, she is a loyal fan.

10All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:She's just a huge "Brusty" fan - she knows him from when he was with the Aeros as she covered the team. A great guy from everything she has said. She's also "counting" on Leclaire to get injured for him to see NHL action lol Sarcasm Gotta give her that, she is a loyal fan.

Good to know in all honesty. It wouldn't be the end of the world if Lehner went back to the Soo - there's a long, long, long, long way to go for him, I'm starting to realize that more and more.

11All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:She's just a huge "Brusty" fan - she knows him from when he was with the Aeros as she covered the team. A great guy from everything she has said. She's also "counting" on Leclaire to get injured for him to see NHL action lol Sarcasm Gotta give her that, she is a loyal fan.

Good to know in all honesty. It wouldn't be the end of the world if Lehner went back to the Soo - there's a long, long, long, long way to go for him, I'm starting to realize that more and more.
we should be so lucky they don't rush him. besides i think we could be fine with leclaire.

12All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:we should be so lucky they don't rush him. besides i think we could be fine with leclaire.

They'll do what's right, I'm confident of that. Murray will probably be taking a job somewhere in the organization because he so desperately wants a Ring. I'm still on the fence, there's a part of me who wants him to step up in the AHL and take his knocks, there's another part of me who thinks that it can only be a good thing if he goes back to the OHL.

It's a very difficult thing to try to forecast, we'll see how it all turns out.

13All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:47 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:we should be so lucky they don't rush him. besides i think we could be fine with leclaire.

They'll do what's right, I'm confident of that. Murray will probably be taking a job somewhere in the organization because he so desperately wants a Ring. I'm still on the fence, there's a part of me who wants him to step up in the AHL and take his knocks, there's another part of me who thinks that it can only be a good thing if he goes back to the OHL.

It's a very difficult thing to try to forecast, we'll see how it all turns out.
murray is so careful that i believe they'll take their time. 3 years minimum before he gets the back-up job. personaly i'm still high on leclaire's playoff performance. it's not all good goalies that can handle the stress from those games. very few if you ask me.

if he can show us a good season why wouldn't we give him an extention.
Ok, i like the chipmunk we have now. lehner can wait.

14All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:murray is so careful that i believe they'll take their time. 3 years minimum before he gets the back-up job. personaly i'm still high on leclaire's playoff performance. it's not all good goalies that can handle the stress from those games. very few if you ask me.

Three years? I don't know man...I think he plays spot games next year and is in full time the year after. In fact, I think he sees spot duty this year, then more of it the year after while starting in the AHL, then the NHL.

With Lehner's mental makeup, it shouldn't really be a massive issue to get him into back-up duty next season - or I guess the alternative is to leave him in Bingo and call him up when needed, but he can shake off bad games very quickly and can be downright dominant.

15All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Empty Re: All Robin Lehner Talk HERE! Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:murray is so careful that i believe they'll take their time. 3 years minimum before he gets the back-up job. personaly i'm still high on leclaire's playoff performance. it's not all good goalies that can handle the stress from those games. very few if you ask me.

Three years? I don't know man...I think he plays spot games next year and is in full time the year after. In fact, I think he sees spot duty this year, then more of it the year after while starting in the AHL, then the NHL.

With Lehner's mental makeup, it shouldn't really be a massive issue to get him into back-up duty next season - or I guess the alternative is to leave him in Bingo and call him up when needed, but he can shake off bad games very quickly and can be downright dominant.
so it is said he can shake off bad games. so he states he can shake them off. i'd like to see that the AHL level first. c'mon guys, we can all stipulate that he can do this and that but really we haven't seen anything from him at the pro level.

i just don't see the point to rush him. there's more problems that could arise from rushing him.
first let's see if he makes it to the ahl this year. then let's see how good he is. but i doubt to high hell he's backing up for another 3 years.
2010-11 leclaire elliott
11-12 leclaire elliott
12-13 2 leclaire elliott with maybe lehner pushing one out of a job

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum