GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should The Wiz be suspended?

+6
dennycrane
PKC
stempniaksen
shabbs
wprager
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:33 am

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

At the very least, a hefty fine. I consider it the same as giving the finger on the ice, so what's the precedent for that? Can't imagine that its never happened before...the finger that is.

17Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Has he been served a piping hot 1 game suspension yet? Because it's coming..

18Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It is definitely a rude gesture but is it really all that different from when they catch players and coaches swearing on the ice and you see what they're saying by simply lip reading?

19Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:25 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:It is definitely a rude gesture but is it really all that different from when they catch players and coaches swearing on the ice and you see what they're saying by simply lip reading?

Yes, very different.

20Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:26 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:It is definitely a rude gesture but is it really all that different from when they catch players and coaches swearing on the ice and you see what they're saying by simply lip reading?

I asked the same question, but apparently the answer is no. If there is anything more than a fine for this, I'd be stupefied.

21Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:44 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:

Yes, very different.

Can you explain? I don't see a big difference.

- Unknown Author

22Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:54 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

It's on the same plain as the finger, the throat-slashing gesture (which earned Boynton a 1 game suspension). It's the kind of schoolground antics that the NHL will not stand for. Hockey is a game where there is taunting for sure, even lip reading if you're so inclined, but to have a guy do that gesture in the middle of a play that had just been whistled down? Not mature and not something the NHL will condone. If they don't deal with it, it'll show that they condone this rubbish, so they will.

23Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:03 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

It's on the same plain as the finger, the throat-slashing gesture (which earned Boynton a 1 game suspension). It's the kind of schoolground antics that the NHL will not stand for. Hockey is a game where there is taunting for sure, even lip reading if you're so inclined, but to have a guy do that gesture in the middle of a play that had just been whistled down? Not mature and not something the NHL will condone. If they don't deal with it, it'll show that they condone this rubbish, so they will.

Not even remotely alike. You're way off on this one Spez. A throat slash gesture is a sign of intent to injure, and could be construed as a possible precursor to an act of violence much like the Bertuzzi incident - a black eye the league is not willing to endure again.

This gesture - while incredibly childish and ridiculous - is not nearly worthy of a suspension. A fine though should certainly be meted out for violating professional conduct.

24Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:12 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Not even remotely alike. You're way off on this one Spez. A throat slash gesture is a sign of intent to injure, and could be construed as a possible precursor to an act of violence much like the Bertuzzi incident - a black eye the league is not willing to endure again.

This gesture - while incredibly childish and ridiculous - is not nearly worthy of a suspension. A fine though should certainly be meted out for violating professional conduct.

Youknow what I meant in clumping the throat slash with this. The NHL doesn't want any of this going on. Not the finger, not what this idiot did, not the throat slash. No obscene gestures, it's not hard for the NHLPA to understand, but it might be hard for these guys to grasp.

1 game suspension or...a hefty fine. It's up to the NHL obviously, but I swear ALL THE TIME - I'm not prude - and I found this absolutely ridiculous.

25Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:14 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Should be a fine but I have to admit, I thought it was funny watching. Wiz doing that towards Avery was entertaining.

Avery should get a fine for his 'look what he did, he'can't do that, thats not fair' approach he took with the refs after.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

26Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:30 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Word is he got 2 games. Fan 590 is reporting in Toronto.

27Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:14 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

2 games official, multiple outlets like TSN and Sportsnet.

28Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Wow, that's serious business.

29Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:02 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Wow, that's serious business.

Cussing pathetic. It's amazing how the league is always willing to take a hard line stance with role players. What's next? Outlaw trash talking? Give coaches prepared material to recite during interviews?

30Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The more I think about it he definitely should have been suspended. No need for that in the game, just like Randy Moss fake-mooning the Packers fans a while back.

31Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:25 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:The more I think about it he definitely should have been suspended. No need for that in the game, just like Randy Moss fake-mooning the Packers fans a while back.

So you're OK with double standards then? If he'd have said, verbally, whatever it was he was trying to say to Avery instead of miming it, it would be OK. But as soon as he acts it out it's a huge no-no.

I guess we can extrapolate this logic: a throat slash gesture - totally not OK. Telling a guy "I'm gonna kill you" - cool.

This is the dumbest Cussing league in the entire world. Run by idiots who are out of touch with reality. They should just write two rule books already - one for star players and one for everyone else.

32Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If he simply tells Avery he's happy and a Wangsipper then you can't hear it or see it, so yes it is fine. But when he acts it out the whole world can see that he is calling Avery happy and a Wangsipper, which is demeaning towards gays. I'm not offended and I don't care about the gesture, but obviously others do and it's not right to do that when you know you're on camera. This isn't a late-night TV show where you can do whatever you want, it's a hockey game.

It's like when players give the finger to fans and other players They usually fine you for that...this is obviously much worse so it deserves a harsher penalty.

If Ilya Kovalchuk did this gesture he would also be suspended. Don't blame the league for actually caring about their image. This isn't the XHL.

Every other league would give out a harsh penalty for that - don't just go bashing the NHL.

33Should The Wiz be suspended? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should The Wiz be suspended? Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:
Big Ev wrote:The more I think about it he definitely should have been suspended. No need for that in the game, just like Randy Moss fake-mooning the Packers fans a while back.

So you're OK with double standards then? If he'd have said, verbally, whatever it was he was trying to say to Avery instead of miming it, it would be OK. But as soon as he acts it out it's a huge no-no.

I guess we can extrapolate this logic: a throat slash gesture - totally not OK. Telling a guy "I'm gonna kill you" - cool.

This is the dumbest Cussing league in the entire world. Run by idiots who are out of touch with reality. They should just write two rule books already - one for star players and one for everyone else.

One of the most off-base posts I've seen on this site. Big Ev covered this one nicely, but I'll add that this is the league covering their own behinds just like any other league would do. It's trying to show a stance that this is the 'classiest' of the big four sports and harsh sentences like this do the trick.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum